Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1952935 - 10/25/13 08:38 AM Remember when football was fun?
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Just wondered if anyone else did, or if that was all an LSD illusion to me.

#1952937 - 10/25/13 09:00 AM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
1985hawk Offline
Moderator-Retired

Loc: Back here
I have always found KU football fun to attend. Most fans have found it is about the atmosphere at the stadium, the pretty girls, and the tailgating. The game often is just a sidelight except for some years when KU fields a good team.

I remember beating a Troy Aikmen led #2 OU in 1984. I remember sitting at West Coast Saloon and listening to KU beat USC at the Rose Bowl when USC was ranked #2. I remember beating Nebraska for the first time since I was born.

I go to the games hoping for magic like this and the Reesing years. But I never fail to notice the things I mentioned above. Good football at KU is to be strived for, not expected. When it happens KU appreciates it more than any other school in the country.

Edited by 1985hawk (10/25/13 09:00 AM)

#1952939 - 10/25/13 09:32 AM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think a lot of my negativity is reflected in how shitty our conference is overall. No rivalries anymore, a joke of what the Big 8 was for so many years. At this point, I am ready for another conference. ANY other conference. Texas fist phucked us and good. Ran off quality programs and schools to have all the balls in their court. Well, they have accomplished their mission this year. Shittiest BCS conference in existence for the third year in a row, and now three Texas teams tied for first.

I mean...wtf is the point of even being in this league, other than money? Maybe I am just really down today, because all I look forward to now is tailgating and seeing how long Chaz will keep it interesting before he tries to be the smartest guy in the room, effectively killing momentum, and opening the floodgates for the other team.

Anyone else feeling this way? Do I need Prozac?

#1952942 - 10/25/13 10:34 AM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
1985hawk Offline
Moderator-Retired

The curse on KU football goes back to the time when Memorial Stadium was constructed. John Wooden, a college student than, stopped in Lawrence and worked on the construction of the stadium one summer on his break.

This connection placed a curse on KU football and made KU a basketball school. Fan expectations, unfortunately are the same for football as they are for basketball. We are too impatient with our coaches. We give on average, a coach 2 years to turn around the program and few are able to deliver.

#1952943 - 10/25/13 10:35 AM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
In the good old days our teams were basically Kansas kids sprinkled with a few Gale Sayers, Charlie Hoags,etc. We fought with KSU and lost an occasional Lynn Dickey but we countered with a Bobby Douglas etc etc. Today we fret over losing a four star pulling guard from Lower Transylvania who decides to forgo athletics and enrolls in Animal Husbandry at Southern Wyoming U (who thought a Jayhawk was a song bird!) We spend more time reading Rivals than we do traveling to Ellsworth where they supposedly have two twin brothers who weigh 325 each and can dunk a basketball and can puncture a football with their teeth! Remember that kid we recruited out of Larned during the sixties as a defensive end who parachuted out of perfectly good airplanes? Those were fun days and no one gave two pints of p-ss about what ever the hell SPARQ said about him!

#1952944 - 10/25/13 10:57 AM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
1985hawk Offline
Moderator-Retired

You would think more Kansas kids can play at this level than do. Salina and Hutchinson always have good football and their linemen are Div 1 level sized. My guess is they dont have college level intelligence.

Riggins, was a Kansas kid and was a track star as well as a football star in high school. I went to grade school with a kid that had a pick 6 off of an Aikman pass. Kansas kids can play, I agree. Why arent they?

#1952951 - 10/25/13 01:00 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Bohemia
I remember, it was December 25th, 1971.

My mom told my dad there was no way in hell he was going to a football game on Christmas day. So I got bundled up in every warm piece of clothing I had, climbed into a big RV with a bunch of drunks who called themselves "The Quarterback Club" and went to Municipal Stadium in KC to watch Ed Podolak put on one of the most incredible displays of toughness I ever saw on a football field. The fact that I was 11 at the time made it seem all the more of a wild ass time, but 40 years later it is still memorable.

#1952955 - 10/25/13 01:36 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
PbBut Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: 66227
The atmosphere, anticipation, and seeing the other Jayhawk 'patriots' is still fun. The results on-field have been disappointing since the skid started in Mangino's last year. I was getting to the point that I never thought I'd see a season like 2007. The FOOTBALL Hawks were 11-0 after beating the 'Clones 45-7. Then again, I never thought I'd see (again) a stretch like the last four years. The only big-time win being the fluke over Georgia Tech.
One thing I find frustrating the 'excessive' contact penalties. I don't want to see guys get hurt, but don't there referees have and judgment or latitude? Everything falls into the category of mandatory sentencing. And NFL quarterbacks just need to put on pink tutus.
Maybe the game was never expected to be played by guys this big, fast and strong. An article this week in the Star...Dontari Poe, 340 lbs., 14% body-fat. Does anyone else remember when Ernie Ladd and Big Daddy Lipscomb were the biggest guys around?

#1952957 - 10/25/13 02:07 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
thunderjam Offline
Phog Fanatic

Watching College Gameday and other stadium atmospheres depresses me.

#1952958 - 10/25/13 02:16 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
ChalkRocker Offline
Discussion Monitor

Loc: A basement office
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
Texas fist phucked us and good. Ran off quality programs and schools to have all the balls in their court. Well, they have accomplished their mission this year. Shittiest BCS conference in existence for the third year in a row, and now three Texas teams tied for first.

Agreed. F***in' TU. F***in' Beebe. F***in' Dodds.

I mean...wtf is the point of even being in this league, other than money?

Any port in a storm.

Anyone else feeling this way? Do I need Prozac?

Yes. And no, you need a valium.

#1952965 - 10/25/13 04:10 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
AlOerter Offline
Max Falkenstien

I have loved this team through thick and thin - mostly through thin in recent years. I start every season optomistic, thinking this year is going to be better, but most of the time it isn't.

This conference lost a lot of history and rivalry when NU and MU left.

I still hope for the day when we can get someone who bleeds crimson and blue to run this football program and commit to building it long term.

These days it takes early success and the ball to bounce the right way a few times to even hope to be able to stay long enough to build something special.

Edited by AlOerter (10/25/13 04:12 PM)

#1952971 - 10/25/13 09:40 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Football was sure fun when I was a kid growing up in Lawrence. We'd play sandlot football on Saturdays when KU was away and went to the home games through the junior Jayhawk package. Sometimes we could sneak into the stadium and actually play on the field. I remember great defensive battles in the Big 8 with scores like 10-3. Some of the best games were between MU and OU. Seems like everyone was a rival in the conference back then.

#1952977 - 10/25/13 10:16 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think you guys are truly validating my point about the conference sucking ass. Wish we could rewind time to the early 90's and tell those SWC teams....sorry. We aren't saving you asses. We are happy with eight. And to those that say well, we would've been in a non BCS conference then, I say....who gives a phuck compared to this shiithole no talent overpaid joke bullshiit pile of steaming stool we are in now.

#1952979 - 10/25/13 11:03 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: KUHawkhead]
kugregg Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Kansas City, Mo
Very depressing. Today I watched the KU/MU game from 2007 for the first time. Even though it sucked losing that game, I think I watched it just so I could see a good KU football team. I guess I could of watched my Orange Bowl DVD.

#1952980 - 10/25/13 11:06 PM Re: Remember when football was fun? [Re: kugregg]
kugregg Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Kansas City, Mo
I want to relive that season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview