Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1947538 - 09/02/13 08:17 AM Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I just heard that a statue of KU's Track & Field and US Olympic legend, Billy Mills, is going to be made of him running down the straight away in the 1964 Olympics as he passed everyone ahead of him in the final 100m and set a new world record in the 10K. The statue will feature him in full stride with both of his feet off the ground as if he was flying and is being sculpted by famous Native American artist, George Rivera.

It's supposed to be officially unveiled at the new Rock Chalk Park in the week of April 13, 2014 just before the KU Relays (begins April 19, 2014).

Olympic champ Billy Mills honored with sculpture

For those who may not know much if anything about Billy Mills, he's the only American to ever win the 10K at the Olympics still and his come from behind finish is 1 of the most amazing track & field moments of all-time IMHO.

A good color video of him winning.

American TV coverage of his win.

#1947554 - 09/02/13 12:56 PM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
A genuine American hero.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#1947575 - 09/02/13 05:10 PM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Kman_blue]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
He adds a new dimension to the term "All American". We were both at KU at the same time and shared a small class room for Anthropology. He was very quiet and unassuming.

#1947601 - 09/02/13 11:00 PM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Life in Lawrence wasn't all flowery for Billy. Liberalization didn't happen until a few years later.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#1947621 - 09/03/13 09:48 AM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Kman_blue]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
I used to work at a grocery store near Haskell and the kids would come in weighing 100 lbs and leave 50 lbs heavier. Most of us just looked the other way. It was definitely tough for Haskell kids back in the day.

#1957560 - 12/21/13 09:32 AM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: badair]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Colorado
When I was a student, I served three years on the Kansas Relays Student Committee. One year, he came in as an honored guest and I spent some time with him. What a fantastic person!

#1958182 - 01/05/14 08:16 PM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Kman_blue]
OMGJayhawks Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Texas
Love the movie "Running Brave" I watched it before every cross country and track meet in Highschool

Best part of the movie is when he is doing situps and he tells his wife after reading the olympic preview that they did not even put him the top six. Wife replies...well you always like running from behind!!!!

Nothing beats Pre, Jim and Billy

#1960822 - 02/22/14 10:39 PM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Kman_blue]
Bird Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Kansas City, MO
A great write up from last year, by Greg Hall:
http://www.greghallkc.com/index.php/bill...-man-than-myth/
On a somewhat related note, will there be any statues of Glenn Cunningham, Wes Santee, or of course, Jim Ryun? I don't know very much about Rock Chalk Park, and it doesn't seem to get much coverage. I hope national championship banners are displayed as prominently as they are in AFH.

#1961157 - 02/27/14 04:24 PM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Bird]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

That was a good writeup and thanks for posting it Bird!

I just rewatched the youtube video of the US TV coverage of Mill's win in my original post and still got chills. Such an awesome moment in sports history!

#1961161 - 02/27/14 05:23 PM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm a month late, but the NCAA also just gave Mills it's highest award, the Theodore 'Teddy' Roosevelt award, back in January at their convention in San Diego.

He's the 2nd KU alumni (Bob Dole got it in 1998) to receive the award and 3rd Kansan (Dwight Eisenhower got it in 1967) to receive the award.

Official KU press release on this award.

*edited to add that KU had an official press release on this.

Edited by Kman_blue (02/27/14 05:26 PM)

#1961536 - 03/05/14 08:51 PM Re: Billy Mills Statue at Rock Chalk Park [Re: Kman_blue]
Bird Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Kansas City, MO
I agree about the chills from the US TV coverage. I hadn't seen that video before you posted it, and it more clearly shows when he got bumped in the last lap; I can't believe he was able to keep it together. He really went flying, and that was after 6 miles at a ridiculous pace. It also showed how far he fell behind after that bump, I can't believe he was able to catch back up. His big, lurching strides on the final straightaway are awe-inspiring, that was all heart. Wow.

Preview