Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1956527 - 12/04/13 10:39 AM Re: Must've been wearing a hoodie, i.e., asking for it * [Re: Shirley]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

It always amazes me when I hear some of my female friends talk about arguing with the cops who've stopped them for speeding.

However, one wonders why, knowing that traffic stops are very dangerous events for law enforcement, New Mexico law would require one to sign the ticket?

#1956535 - 12/04/13 11:35 AM Re: Must've been wearing a hoodie, i.e., asking for it [Re: Shirley]
DCHawk1 Offline
Proudly Derivative.

Loc: District of Columbia
Cops are misogynists.

#1956682 - 12/05/13 11:17 PM Re: Must've been wearing a hoodie, i.e., asking for it [Re: jahawker2004]
seahawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

There was a notorious speed trap on one highway in New Mexico where they made you stop and pay up right then. I was driving to a meeting in Clovis, way out east, once and remembered to slow down. When I got to the meeting another guy arrived and said he'd completely forgotten and been speeding when he saw flashing lights behind him. Fortunately a car with Texas plates sped by and the local cop went off after him--they love to ticket Texans in New Mexico.

This lady was unfortunate that she had an out of state license but no Texans passed her up.

When the officer kept talking about the magistrate in Taos, I was wondering if the newest judge was still on the bench. The last one was removed from office by the Supreme Court.

#1957176 - 12/13/13 02:16 AM Re: Must've been wearing a hoodie, i.e., asking for it [Re: beenhas]
jayshep Offline
wolfhunter

Originally Posted By: beenhas
Cops are nasty human beings. A majority of them are faux-macho men who got their ass beat as kids and decided to get a badge to pay everyone back.

Yes, I'm talking to the cop in this thread: you're a [censored].

Hi DCHawk!

First time back in three months...welcome back to me, I guess. I should know better than to respond to this. Every day on the street I deal with this attitude from the bad guys I put where they belong.

You wanna know why I became a cop? It's because I saw what meth did to my senior class in high school. A friend of mine (who cleaned up after about nine months) lost 45lbs and didn't graduate high school because of his addiction. I saw what it did to him and several others and wanted to do what I could to stop that from happening. I was inspired by the police running toward the disaster of 9/11 when everyone except firefighters were running away. I was a junior in college, walking across the parking lot of Memorial Stadium when I saw the vapor trails turning around to go back to KCI. I come from a long line of people in service professions (teachers, social workers, doctors, dentists, prison guards, farmers, etc) and wanted to not only earn a living, but to do my part to try and better society and contribute to the greater good. Call it cliche if you will, but it's the truth. I enjoy the adrenaline rush of taking a dealer off the street, the thrill of a vehicle pursuit, and the sense of satisfaction when I know I've done something to help someone that will never get recognized or that anyone will ever know about, except that person and me.

The thing is, there are bad cops out there, but for anyone to say that they're the majority is simply not true. I can think of two guys in a department of 500 that are cops because they got picked on. Guess what? They're sub-par cops and everybody knows it. They're also not the cops that are out there putting themselves at extra risk by being proactive and catching the true bad guys, generally speaking.

The attitude toward law enforcement you show above is, quite frankly, a slap in the face to every good cop out there. But we're used to it, especially us "ghetto street cops". And guess what? If you call, we'll still come and do whatever we can to help you.

I'm sorry you think I'm a [censored]. I'm sure your opinion will continue regardless of what I say. But I'm offering to drop you off at 17th and Cleveland or 22nd and Russell or 8th and Lafayette or in Juniper Gardens after dark, give you my gun, badge and vest and see how well you do. See if you go toward the gunfire or away from it. See if you still call me a [censored].

#1957177 - 12/13/13 02:55 AM Re: Must've been wearing a hoodie, i.e., asking for it [Re: jayshep]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
One of the best--certainly the most passionate--posts I have ever read on this forum.

Welcome back jayshep.

#1989873 - 04/18/15 04:29 PM Re: Must've been wearing a hoodie, i.e., asking for it [Re: jahawker2004]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Contrary to how a number of you would prefer to characterize me, I don't "hate" cops. In fact, it's because of my regard for police that when one did something outrageous and it inevitably became a reflection on all of them, that it motivated me post the things I did when I used to spend time here.

Because the person who administered the benefits for the largest police dept. in the area where I practiced was a patient of mine, anytime a person came to her to sign up for health insurance, if they didn't already have a doctor she would recommend me. Consequently, I took care of an unbelievable number of police officers and their families. Before that, I was pretty neutral in my opinion of police, but after learning what a strong work-ethic they had and what straight shooters (no pun intended) they were, before long I had a huge amount of respect for them and learned what a privilege it was.

I hadn't seen this video before, and it brought tears to my eyes.

#1989875 - 04/18/15 04:54 PM Re: Must've been wearing a hoodie, i.e., asking for it [Re: Shirley]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
Long time no see.

Welcome back. Put your feet up and stay awhile.

#1989885 - 04/18/15 05:39 PM Re: Must've been wearing a hoodie, i.e., asking for it [Re: Shirley]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Shirls must of tired of the dot net riff raff. She is good people. I think she plays golf.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Preview