Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1942839 - 08/07/13 01:24 PM Potential Royals Pickups in the 2014 FA Market
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
Obviously, this team stands to improve before next season, though they are still in the race this year. And much of that improvement can potentially come from the improvement of current young players like Hos, Moose, and Salvy. Hopefully Duffy, Ventura, and Zimmer will all be ready to contribute at some point during the next year as well. But this team obviously needs to upgrade through FA as well, at at least 2B or RF (unless you're of the belief that David Lough is a career .300 hitter).

Now the first, most obvious move would be to make a play for Ervin Santana. But to me, that would be a mistake. He is going to get A LOT of money this off-season, because the SP market will be pretty bleak. And yes, he is having a career year in KC. But during his 9 year career, he has only had a sub-4.00 ERA four times. He's probably going to get $15M/year on the market though. That seems too steep for what he is. If you want to spend big on a SP, sign Garza. Or at least give it a shot. He is ridiculously consistent and is not eligible for a qualifying offer.

Lincecum, Burnett, Kuroda will also be available.

One pickup that I think might be great for the Royals is Shin-Soo Choo. He's a career .288/.387/.465 guy who has consistently had a good oWAR number. Jacoby Ellsbury will be the prize of the off-season OF market, but I have to think he'll be headed back to Boston. So that leaves you with Choo, Pence, Cruz, and a few others. Maybe the Royals will try to get Cruz on the cheap after the roids bust. But who knows what he'll be if he's off the juice?

If they want to make a splash, I think Choo and Garza are good choices. There is not going to be virtually anything available at 2B, unless Utley doesn't get re-signed. But I don't want him. Anyway, these are just my musings about the upcoming FA market. What are your opinions, fellow Royals fans? With the right off-season moves and sustained good play by the corner infielders, this could be a very good team next year.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

#1942845 - 08/07/13 01:28 PM Re: Potential Royals Pickups in the 2014 FA Market [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think Kelly Johnson would be an interesting FA 2B to look at.

Average is a bit low, but he's got good pop, and he shouldn't cost you a lot, saving up money to re-sign Santana (or whatever else they feel necessary)

#1942868 - 08/07/13 02:25 PM Re: Potential Royals Pickups in the 2014 FA Market [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I hadn't thought of Johnson. That would be an interesting pickup.

What do you think of Tejada's decent year? Can he repeat it at age 40? He hasn't really been that much better than a replacement-level player. But at age 39, the Royals are getting quite a bit out of him. I wouldn't be furious if they added a RF and try out Tejada again next year, provided that he doesn't hang 'em up. But good lord, Chris Getz isn't the answer. Nor is Elliot Johnson. Nor, as far as I can tell, is Johnny G.

Omar Infante is an interesting name. I believe he's headed for FA this off-season.

#1942870 - 08/07/13 02:29 PM Re: Potential Royals Pickups in the 2014 FA Market [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
2nd base is the primary goal for the FA period for the Royals.
These are the players who will be FA this offseason. * indicates an option for that player.
Robinson Cano
Alexi Casilla
Mark Ellis *
Mike Fontenot
Omar Infante
Kelly Johnson
Nick Punto
Brian Roberts
Ramon Santiago
Skip Schumaker
Chase Utley
Ben Zobrist *

Omar Infante might be one the Royals should try to run at pretty hard.

#1942899 - 08/07/13 03:10 PM Re: Potential Royals Pickups in the 2014 FA Market [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Um, excuse me, none of those throw left-handed.

Next.

#1942955 - 08/07/13 05:30 PM Re: Potential Royals Pickups in the 2014 FA Market [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I wonder what sort of per year hit the Royals would take if they bring in Infante and Shin-Soo Choo. It would certainly be better than Getz/French or Getz/Lough.

It might be more prudent to pick up a SP, as well as only one of those two positions (2B or RF).

Shields
Guthrie
Duffy
Paulino
Chen

looks like the projected rotation next year. Ventura, Smith, Dwyer, Zimmer are all possibilities to get a shot at some point. Who knows if Paulino will be any good again. We could learn a bit about Duffy tonight. As much of a psychopath as he seems to be, that rotation would sure look a lot better with Matt Garza in it. But that's asking a lot, monetarily, from the Royals. The guy might get 5 yrs/$85M+ this winter.

#1943091 - 08/08/13 09:46 AM Re: Potential Royals Pickups in the 2014 FA Market [Re: christgs80]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: KC, KS
Originally Posted By: christgs80
I think Kelly Johnson would be an interesting FA 2B to look at.

Average is a bit low, but he's got good pop, and he shouldn't cost you a lot, saving up money to re-sign Santana (or whatever else they feel necessary)

I was a little confused why we didn't sign Kelly Johnson for this year.

#1943094 - 08/08/13 09:56 AM Re: Potential Royals Pickups in the 2014 FA Market [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Ummm...we had Chris Getz....duh smile

Preview