Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1937081 - 07/18/13 03:55 PM Head in the sand
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
"Na na na na na na I can't hear you!"

http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/mlb/kansas-city-royals/story/Dayton-Moore-Were-not-going-to-back-off?blockID=921295&feedID=5070

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/18/4352268/royals-gm-dayton-moore-on-post.html

just copy/paste that first link...don't know why it's not linking

Edited by JFish26 (07/18/13 03:56 PM)

#1937118 - 07/18/13 05:28 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Lets hope he really means what he says. We shall see.

#1937121 - 07/18/13 05:33 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Really? Let's hope he considers going .500 to be some sort of meaningful accomplishment?

#1937125 - 07/18/13 05:38 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Moore should be fired yesterday.

#1937149 - 07/18/13 06:18 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I want to get angry and put together some screed etc etc etc. And I probably will at some point. Maybe even tonight.

But right now, who cares? The ugly truth that we should have seen a long time ago is that Dayton Moore really, truly does think that going .500 is some sort of accomplishment. He really, truly thinks that the season is not yet lost because you can still get to .500 with two or three kickass weeks. He really, truly thinks there is a material difference between finishing 83-79 and 79-83. He really, truly thinks that it is right to aspire to being solidly mediocre, never great, never terrible.

The cynical view would be that Moore thinks or knows that finishing at or above .500 would save his job. Who knows what's been said behind closed doors. But if he's not confident and competent enough to admit there is nothing gallant about finishing .500, that there is no glory in mediocrity, that there is no glamor in stasis...well, I don't want him in this job anyway.

At first, bad logic and bizarre reasoning is amusing or perplexing or annoying or angering or infuriating. But at some point, watching someone play tic tac toe and just not understand that, if you're X, you need to start in the center square...well, it's just pathetic.

And what it all adds up to is that Moore just isn't qualified to do this job. It's not personal. I'm not angry. I wish him no personal or professional harm. I just think general manager is not the role for him. If, for instance, you don't understand that for all the complexity of baseball it really is about getting on base and not letting the other guys get on base -- you should not be a general manager. If you think there is something noble about holding onto valuable trade chips so that you might finish only ten games out of the playoffs -- you should not be a general manager.

I think it is time that Dayton Moore not be the general manager of the Royals any longer.

#1937150 - 07/18/13 06:18 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: jnewell]
41and2since94 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Antarctica
Originally Posted By: jnewell
Moore should be fired yesterday.

Yes, but does anyone with the power to actually make it happen recognize this?

#1937153 - 07/18/13 06:28 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Bravo. +1.

Originally Posted By: JFish26
I want to get angry and put together some screed etc etc etc. And I probably will at some point. Maybe even tonight.

But right now, who cares? The ugly truth that we should have seen a long time ago is that Dayton Moore really, truly does think that going .500 is some sort of accomplishment. He really, truly thinks that the season is not yet lost because you can still get to .500 with two or three kickass weeks. He really, truly thinks there is a material difference between finishing 83-79 and 79-83. He really, truly thinks that it is right to aspire to being solidly mediocre, never great, never terrible.

The cynical view would be that Moore thinks or knows that finishing at or above .500 would save his job. Who knows what's been said behind closed doors. But if he's not confident and competent enough to admit there is nothing gallant about finishing .500, that there is no glory in mediocrity, that there is no glamor in stasis...well, I don't want him in this job anyway.

At first, bad logic and bizarre reasoning is amusing or perplexing or annoying or angering or infuriating. But at some point, watching someone play tic tac toe and just not understand that, if you're X, you need to start in the center square...well, it's just pathetic.

And what it all adds up to is that Moore just isn't qualified to do this job. It's not personal. I'm not angry. I wish him no personal or professional harm. I just think general manager is not the role for him. If, for instance, you don't understand that for all the complexity of baseball it really is about getting on base and not letting the other guys get on base -- you should not be a general manager. If you think there is something noble about holding onto valuable trade chips so that you might finish only ten games out of the playoffs -- you should not be a general manager.

I think it is time that Dayton Moore not be the general manager of the Royals any longer.

#1937172 - 07/18/13 07:20 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Really? Let's hope he considers going .500 to be some sort of meaningful accomplishment?

I said it before the season and I will say it again now. Mediocrity equals success? Yep, in KC it does.

#1937178 - 07/18/13 07:35 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I'm in the opposite camp. Get busy winning or get busy burning it down.

#1937183 - 07/18/13 07:37 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

I'm in the opposite camp. Get busy winning or get busy burning it down.

By burning it down be specific.

Trade/ send down who exactly and bring up or trade for who?

#1937185 - 07/18/13 07:38 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Unfortunately Moore thinks this way because its good enough for the easily satisfied KC baseball fan. I listen to 610 sports radio alot. Many callers during the All Star break claim they are happy with the way the Royals have played so far.

Stating that the Royals are average or a little better than average and they were ok with that. 610 guys were going off on them stating the Royals werent even close to being average and that the local fan should expect much more.

But since its been so bad for so long most have bought in to Moore's tactics. In other words he aint going nowhere. The KC baseball fan is eerily similar to the KU football fans. Sure they hope it will get better, but wont bit-ch or complain too much if they dont. Average is good enough for both it seems.

#1937190 - 07/18/13 07:41 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

This won't be an original idea, but Holland's worth to other teams is much greater than his worth to the Royals. Every single piece of the bullpen should be available in fact. No reason Santana should be a Royal after the deadline. Chen if there's a taker. Same with Tejada. Same with Kottaras.

If you're not competing for the playoffs, you should be purging yourself of every piece that isn't necessary when that time comes.

#1937197 - 07/18/13 07:46 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

This won't be an original idea, but Holland's worth to other teams is much greater than his worth to the Royals. Every single piece of the bullpen should be available in fact. No reason Santana should be a Royal after the deadline. Chen if there's a taker. Same with Tejada. Same with Kottaras.

If you're not competing for the playoffs, you should be purging yourself of every piece that isn't necessary when that time comes.

Holland and Santana must go and the Royals absolutely have to get something back for them. I am okay with Kottaras and Tejada for sure. I don't think there will be much in the way for offers on Chen.

Now Royals fans hold onto your socks.....I also say send Moose's ass down for the remainder of the year and Hosmer and Butler should be on the block as well and with Perez if you can get enough for him. Blasphemy I know.

Edited by jayhwk01 (07/18/13 07:46 PM)

#1937199 - 07/18/13 07:51 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

As to your last paragraph:

Agree on sending Moustakas down. No reason not to.

Hosmer -- no. Value still depressed, player still cheap and under control.

Butler -- sure, but gosh that's a limited market. How many contenders need a DH?

Perez -- would take a shockingly high return. No opposing GM could face the press and the fans after trading what would be necessary to get him.

#1937213 - 07/18/13 08:20 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
lobster Offline
Feel the pinch?

Loc: DCHawk's basement.
Just a few nights ago I watched a few clips on Youtube from the 70's and 80's Royals playoff games. It must have been awesome to be alive and be a Royals fan back then. I became a fan in the year 1990 when things gradually started going downhill. I have to wonder if we'll ever see another season like 1989 ever again?

#1937216 - 07/18/13 08:31 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Ever's a long time, so yes. But the Royals are only a couple bad decisions away from blowing this talent cycle.

#1937218 - 07/18/13 08:36 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
lobster Offline
Feel the pinch?

Loc: DCHawk's basement.
I haven't been following the Royals much in the past few years, but I'd like to know - has their wallet increased since 2003? They used to always have to trade away their stars like Beltron, Dye, etc. Are they able to afford high dollar guys these days? I don't know what happened in the early nineties, but something must have changed because that's when it all went downhill.

The most painful trade of all time was when we sent David Cone away the 2nd time. God I was so disappointed after that.

Edited by lobster (07/18/13 08:37 PM)

#1937222 - 07/18/13 08:45 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

The Royals haven't been close enough to contention to make testing the depth of the wallet worthwhile, but, for what it's worth, I strongly believe the money would be there in the right circumstance.

#1937227 - 07/18/13 08:55 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
David Glass needs to go, first and foremost. I rarely agree with Kevin Kietzman (who has championed that cause), but I really do believe that he is not a good owner for the team or for the city.

Maybe I'm being stupidly lenient, but I give Dayton Moore one more year.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

#1937229 - 07/18/13 08:56 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Why should Glass go?

#1937272 - 07/18/13 10:42 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: lobster]
kugregg Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Kansas City, Mo
Originally Posted By: lobster
Just a few nights ago I watched a few clips on Youtube from the 70's and 80's Royals playoff games. It must have been awesome to be alive and be a Royals fan back then. I became a fan in the year 1990 when things gradually started going downhill. I have to wonder if we'll ever see another season like 1989 ever again?
I was born in 1970. Wasn't a better place to grow up watching baseball. Baseball was my first passion in life, and getting to watch those Royals teams during '75-'85 was a special time. Never could imagined 28 years would pass without another trip to the playoffs.

#1937289 - 07/18/13 11:21 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Royals are optioning Giovetella and Teaford to Omaha, along with putting a just-acquired infielder (Ciriaco) in Omaha.

Getz and Herrera are back in KC.

Is this all part of Moore's plan to "keep pushing" the team?

#1937304 - 07/19/13 07:05 AM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
Not saying that there doesn't need to be a change but did anyone really think that this team had the pieces to win the AL central this year?

Even with Wil Myers still here and a different signed pitcher.

It's a .500 team with or without that trade.

#1937312 - 07/19/13 08:27 AM Re: Head in the sand [Re: jayhawklouie]
JZHawk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: The 'Dot
Originally Posted By: jayhawklouie
Royals are optioning Giovetella and Teaford to Omaha, along with putting a just-acquired infielder (Ciriaco) in Omaha.

Getz and Herrera are back in KC.

Is this all part of Moore's plan to "keep pushing" the team?

Why on earth are the Royals so against giving Gio an extended look in KC? His hitting hasn't been all that good since he was called up from Omaha, but what harm is there in keeping him in KC the rest of this season? I don't understand the Royals infatuation with Getz.

#1937326 - 07/19/13 09:21 AM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Fish....spot on as always.

The sad thing is....if the Royals did finish .500 this season, everybody will be praising Moore and saying how great of a job he has done putting this team together.

If .500 is your goal, you're dumb. Sorry, but you are.

If Santana isn't traded by the deadline....then I don't know what to even say anymore. It's the most obvious move to make, and he's probably the #2 or #3 available starter in the market.

Make the move Dayton....please please, for the love of god, don't be stubborn.

#1937344 - 07/19/13 09:56 AM Re: Head in the sand [Re: JFish26]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

And...scene.

#1937456 - 07/19/13 02:09 PM Re: Head in the sand [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: KC, KS
Originally Posted By: KUSPORTSFAN93
David Glass needs to go, first and foremost. I rarely agree with Kevin Kietzman (who has championed that cause), but I really do believe that he is not a good owner for the team or for the city.

Maybe I'm being stupidly lenient, but I give Dayton Moore one more year.

Glass isn't the problem.

And nobody...under any circumstances....should ever agree with Kevin Kietzman.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview