Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1931933 - 07/03/13 09:46 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: christgs80]
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: christgs80
That's twice since Ned put Escobar back into the #2 spot that he has failed in a late inning situation with runners on.

Just terrible.

I just do not understand Ned's burning desire to bat Escobar 2nd. Escobar seems very poor in the category of "quality at bat". Unless he gets a hit...which he does 25% of the time...he seems unable to have a quality at bat.

Out of curiosity, I looked up stats of the other #2 batters in the division. They all have around 310 at bats on the season, except for Cleveland's A. Cabrera who has only 228 at bats:

J. Mauer - 318 avg, .402 OBP, 65 strike outs, 43 walks
A. Ramirez - .283 avg, .310 OBP, 44 strike outs, 11 walks
T. Hunter - .301 avg, .343 OBP, 53 strike outs, 16 walks
A. Cabrera - .268 avg, .324 OBP, 58 strike outs, 15 walks
E. Escobar - .249 avg, .280 OBP, 38 strike outs, 12 walks

The .280 OBP is what stands out to me. And having only 38 strikeouts is kind of impressive, but he's a pretty fast guy, so his .249 average seems even worse than it is.

Him batting 2nd isn't THE reason they've lost a couple games recently, but when I seem him at the plate in the 9th I feel little confidence.

#1931937 - 07/03/13 09:49 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I know it's a big thing that Soren Petro and Rany bring up, but the #2 spot is absolutely critical if you're a championship calibur team.

And it's a spot that has killed the Royals for a long time (sans Melky Cabrera's breakout season).

#1931944 - 07/03/13 09:57 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Not to pile on, but another thing that bugged me last night was Dyson not going 1st to 3rd on Gordon's liner to right. I knew from contact that it was a hit. NO WAY was it gonna get caught by 2nd baseman or right fielder. The play by play guy had just mentioned how great it was that the Royals fastest player was on 1st base. Dyson hesitated after Gordon hit the ball, and he ended up staying at 2nd. That stuff drives me nuts. No excuse for Dyson to not be on 3rd.

Of course, with Escobar whiffing right after that, it wouldn't have made a difference.

Gordon's Grand Slam was really great. I thought he might take the pitch, but he was aggressive on 3-0 and made the guy pay. The crowd and the team looked fired up. Too bad our bullpen blew the good vibes.

#1931976 - 07/03/13 10:50 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: KC, KS
8th inning we have Johnson on 2nd with 0 outs and down one run.

How many times have we been in this situation this season and didn't get the run in. All of em?

#1931982 - 07/03/13 11:02 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: jayhawklouie]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: jayhawklouie
Not to pile on, but another thing that bugged me last night was Dyson not going 1st to 3rd on Gordon's liner to right. I knew from contact that it was a hit. NO WAY was it gonna get caught by 2nd baseman or right fielder. The play by play guy had just mentioned how great it was that the Royals fastest player was on 1st base. Dyson hesitated after Gordon hit the ball, and he ended up staying at 2nd. That stuff drives me nuts. No excuse for Dyson to not be on 3rd.

I would much rather have runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out than have a runner on 1st with 2 outs. Dyson was running smart, the ball was hit so hard too that it got to the RF fast. Don't know if you saw the throw to 3rd the OF made, but it was a bullet and Dyson would have been out easily.

#1931984 - 07/03/13 11:04 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: PHOGUSHER]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Ok ...how about him getting more than 2 innings then...Really at sometime this year I knew either Guthrie, Davis, or Mendoza would start struggling. So you are saying Hochevar wouldnt be a better starting option than one of those 3 right now.

Houch is absolutely NOT a better starting option than any of those guys.

But I will say its about time to end the experiment of Davis starting until next year. But I would replace Davis with Will Smith before Houch.

#1931999 - 07/03/13 11:36 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
mtglite Offline
Dee-cent

hell no on Hoch starting ever again for us.

Mendoza isn't terrible, but Wade Davis is. Moore will have a hard time realizing Wade's home is in a bullpen also. I don't even know if he could be good in the pen again. His stuff just isn't that good.

I really like Lough and Gio playing though.

#1932126 - 07/03/13 02:24 PM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: kylecof11]
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: kylecof11

I would much rather have runners on 1st and 2nd with 1 out than have a runner on 1st with 2 outs. Dyson was running smart, the ball was hit so hard too that it got to the RF fast. Don't know if you saw the throw to 3rd the OF made, but it was a bullet and Dyson would have been out easily.

Um, I don't agree. At all.

WHY is 1st and 2nd with one out better than 1st and 3rd with 1 out?

Had Dyson's brain instantly registered that Gordon's soft liner was gonna drop (which I was able to do watching on my TV), he'd have made it easy.

#1932194 - 07/03/13 04:51 PM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
jayheel Offline
Under New Management

Loc: Spencer Basement
His point is that Dyson would have been thrown out at third because there was no time to react. So runners at 1st and 2nd, one out > runner at 1st with two outs. I was at the game, 15 rows back from home dugout. Gordon's liner was a rocket, Dyson was just being safe.

Biggest disappointment is Alcides continuing to shrink in big situations...especially with Tejada sitting there picking his nose.

#1932234 - 07/03/13 05:39 PM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: jayheel]
jayhawklouie Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: jayheel
His point is that Dyson would have been thrown out at third because there was no time to react. So runners at 1st and 2nd, one out > runner at 1st with two outs. I was at the game, 15 rows back from home dugout. Gordon's liner was a rocket, Dyson was just being safe.

Biggest disappointment is Alcides continuing to shrink in big situations...especially with Tejada sitting there picking his nose.

On TV, Gordon's hit looked like a soft liner.

Either way, on TV you could see Dyson hesitate right after contact and look back to see if it might be caught. I don't know WHO Dyson thought was gonna have a chance at it.

But I agree about Escobar. It really is astounding that Yost wants to keep Escobar in the 2 hole. Yost may claim that he wants a righty between the 2 lefties. I'd just go with putting the best hitters at the top of the lineup.

#1932411 - 07/04/13 08:45 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
mtglite Offline
Dee-cent

Couldnt stay up for the whole game. Hope Gordon's ok. Looks like he may have a concussion is what I am hearing.

#1932444 - 07/04/13 11:16 AM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I heard that he has a right hip contusion and possible consussion symptoms. But he never lost consciousness. So thats good....

#1932467 - 07/04/13 01:20 PM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
That was the wierdest looking injury ever seen, kind of fell on his butt and his head smacked the fence in a whiplash motion. Almost comical if he didnt really get hurt.

#1932469 - 07/04/13 01:26 PM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

For a guy like Gordon to lay there motionless with the ball next to him while a guy runs around the bases for an in the park homer...I thought he was knocked out for sure.

#1932488 - 07/04/13 03:24 PM Re: Indians @ Royals [Re: rockchalker5]
mtglite Offline
Dee-cent

Crow phucking sucks

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview