Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1941246 - 08/01/13 01:00 AM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
outlawhawk79 Offline
Prairie Warrior

I never actually compared Austin Meadows skill-set to Mike Trout's. I just used a hypothetical scenario to make my point relating to draft positions and best available talent. And actually, I think Trout went 25th overall when he was drafted. I've always bought into the Mike Trout as the next Mickey Mantle comparisons. And so far, Trout is living up to that hype.

Additionally, I have never read anywhere, that at any point in time Manaea was projected to actually go No. 1 overall. Top 10 yes, Top 5 perhaps, No. 1 overall, no. I don't think KC will ever be able to compete for a World Series if they don't start selecting, developing, and KEEPING the best available talent, period, end of story

#1941247 - 08/01/13 01:24 AM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: outlawhawk79]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
Originally Posted By: outlawhawk79
I never actually compared Austin Meadows skill-set to Mike Trout's. I just used a hypothetical scenario to make my point relating to draft positions and best available talent. And actually, I think Trout went 25th overall when he was drafted. I've always bought into the Mike Trout as the next Mickey Mantle comparisons. And so far, Trout is living up to that hype.

Additionally, I have never read anywhere, that at any point in time Manaea was projected to actually go No. 1 overall. Top 10 yes, Top 5 perhaps, No. 1 overall, no. I don't think KC will ever be able to compete for a World Series if they don't start selecting, developing, and KEEPING the best available talent, period, end of story

That's fair. But mentioning a talented kid in rookie ball in the same breath as a potential 1st ballot HOFer gives me pause.

I said that he likely COULD have gone #1 overall, if not for his injury. I'm not claiming to know the draft boards of the 30 organizations. But Manaea was/is certainly a Top-5+ talent. In any case, I would argue that he's every bit as talented as Meadows. They both have great potential.

Let me pose this scenario to you: Kansas City selects Austin Meadows in the first round. They go on to select Sean Manaea 30 picks later. You can't sign both of them. That's a fact. They could not have signed both. So then you have one and nothing else. You go the route that DM went, and you have one kid who, barring disastrous post-injury effects, is a potential big-time major league talent. And you also have one very good prospect who could, at some point, be a decent big leaguer. I'll take that.

You also got a discount (still expensive) for what Manaea is.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

#1941248 - 08/01/13 01:32 AM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
outlawhawk79 Offline
Prairie Warrior

I was listening to either cbs or espn radio today, and they had a beat writer on who covers the NY Yankees. He said most teams these days attempt to stockpile pitching talent, and hope that the majority of them don't fall victim to TJ surgery or some other career-altering injury. Just look at Danny Duffy for example.

The fact that Manaea already had an injury pre-draft, gives me pause. KC has a major need for a corner OFer and you could even argue they have a need in CF.

I find it funny that the only people backing Moore on this, are locals, mainly on message boards. Virtually every other 'expert' has said they should have selected Meadows. And I agree

#1941411 - 08/01/13 02:28 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
We're never going to agree on this--that's clear--but I also want to make clear that it is no bias in favor of Moore than gives me this opinion. Moore's handling of the deadline this year was enough to make me think it's time for him to go. I'm not shouting it from the rooftops. But if he's out the door at the end of the year, you won't hear me complaining. That doesn't matter though. He will get 2014.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview