Rate This Topic
#1923787 - 06/11/13 11:29 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence
Originally Posted By: yoda
Originally Posted By: tyler

An Tyler, why is that you have to lie to make your point? I looked, and their is two threads relating to Meadows/Dozier, not three as you suggested

I'm not even going to waste my time with the marathon of rubbish you posted prior to this statement because you are off (once again.) You did post in favor of Meadows in not two, but three separate threads. The initial draft thread. Moore thinks he found a Trout like talent. Hunter Dozier. That's three, you're out.

Posted in, or started three different threads? Big difference. You're not 'wasting your time' because you don't have anything valuable to contribute to this baseball discussion. You called me names, that's the best you could do.

If I agreed with you or Amrchair GM — Fish, regarding this discussion — would it make you happy? Because I feel like it would. I never had a problem with you before. Not sure why you are going into attack-mode on me

No, it wouldn't make me happy because its not what you're saying that has me agitated. It's how you are going about it. You have the "smartest person in the room" persona going on right now and I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person here that isn't appreciating it.

You want me to bring something to this discussion, well here ya go. The 2008 MLB Draft was 5 years ago. That is roughly the timetable given to Austin Meadows to get to the Majors. What is Timothy Beckham up to these days? Yeah, I don't know either. He was a HS shortstop with ample amounts of talent that nobody was second guessing as the #1 pick. The Rays took him at #1, while a catcher from Florida State named Buster Posey fell to #5 and the Giants. We know how that one has panned out.

So what I am getting at is that this whole thing is a crapshoot. That same draft has only had 2 All-Stars so far and one of those is Aaron Crow. So, the draft 5 years ago has so far produced only one elite player out of the first 30 picks. This is all playing the lottery with 20 year old kids. It just has become under the microscope because the MLBN has started broadcasting the event.

#1923794 - 06/12/13 12:42 AM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I honestly don't care about Timothy Beckham. Players are making it to the Majors quicker now than ever before. You can't just apply a five-year timetable to Meadows because he was drafted out of HS like Beckham.

So based off that assessment we have to assume either a) Meadows will be a bust? or b) it will take him five-years to reach the Majors? I think Meadows is a different type of talent, one you need to select if available. And he was available

#1923795 - 06/12/13 12:49 AM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I feel like Moore is acting like the coolest kid on the block. Kind of like how Tony La Russa would often times place his pitcher 8th in the batting order.

I don't get the impression Moore was actually smarter than everybody else by utilizing this strategy — I think he may have badly whiffed

#1923808 - 06/12/13 02:11 AM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

I honestly don't care about Timothy Beckham.

My point exactly. You don't care about this guy because he hasn't panned out, but yet at the time he was drafted he was touted as this great ballplayer. A "cant miss" type. And he was touted this way by the very same scouts that you are basing your assessment of Meadows on. High school guys are a different breed and there are so many factors that go into their careers before you can just slot them in to the lineup day in and day out at the major league level.

#1923938 - 06/12/13 12:17 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Can we agree that at best, despite ranking services, the baseball draft is a real crapshoot?

#1923942 - 06/12/13 12:32 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: CrimsonNBlue

Meadows and Manaea can't both be signed by the Royals. That's just fact, and the 5-10 round picks just further reiterate that point.

With the current payroll which is around 80 mill right?

#1939539 - 07/25/13 02:27 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors...www.typepad.com

20 of his 37 hits have gone for extra bases and he has walked more than he has struck out in his first 151 plate appearances.

#1939544 - 07/25/13 02:34 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
Dozier has been very solid since starting getting his career started. Granted, it has been at a very low level. But you have to start somewhere.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

#1939545 - 07/25/13 02:38 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Very solid start, but honestly, he was probably facing better competition in college than what you see in the rookie league.

Still though, it's encouraging.

#1939550 - 07/25/13 02:43 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Meadows has also started out comparatively poorly in rookie ball. I think he is the better prospect, no doubt. But that doesn't always mean the better player. If I were to bet on it, I'd say Meadows ends up better than Dozier. But the Pirates also didn't get a Sean Manaea thirty picks later.

#1939571 - 07/25/13 03:58 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: KC, KS
Originally Posted By: CrimsonNBlue

Meadows and Manaea can't both be signed by the Royals. That's just fact, and the 5-10 round picks just further reiterate that point.

Yoda....its really just as simple as this ^^^^^^^

The draft is as much about signability as anything.

#1939572 - 07/25/13 04:02 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: yoda]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: KC, KS
Baseball America's No. 39 rated prospect

Austin Meadows is No. 5

Its fine to be critical of the Dozier pick. But how do you give zero credit to DM for the Manaea pick? Who happens to be top 10 on the list you have provided.

#1940354 - 07/28/13 05:25 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: christgs80]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Originally Posted By: christgs80
Very solid start, but honestly, he was probably facing better competition in college than what you see in the rookie league.

Still though, it's encouraging.

I don't claim to know anything about the quality of competition of the rookie league, but logic is telling me that the rookie league is full of guys that were good enough to get drafted, and college team rosters probably have more guys on it that never get drafted and will never play beyond college.

#1941237 - 07/31/13 11:48 PM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: rockchalker5]
outlawhawk79 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Originally Posted By: rockchalker5

Austin Meadows is No. 5

Its fine to be critical of the Dozier pick. But how do you give zero credit to DM for the Manaea pick? Who happens to be top 10 on the list you have provided.

Why should I give Moore credit? Manaea was injured pre-draft, which is one of the reasons he slipped. Meadows has future All-Star written all over him. Honestly, I feel like KC need the best premium talent available, and that would have been Meadows, clearly.

Look at it this way, if Mike Trout was on the board and available at the No. 9 pick, but KC passed on him so they could sign two lesser talents, would that make sense to anyone besides Jfish?

#1941244 - 08/01/13 12:34 AM Re: Hunter Dozier [Re: outlawhawk79]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: outlawhawk79
Originally Posted By: rockchalker5

Austin Meadows is No. 5

Why should I give Moore credit? Manaea was injured pre-draft, which is one of the reasons he slipped. Meadows has future All-Star written all over him. Honestly, I feel like KC need the best premium talent available, and that would have been Meadows, clearly.

Look at it this way, if Mike Trout was on the board and available at the No. 9 pick, but KC passed on him so they could sign two lesser talents, would that make sense to anyone besides Jfish?

That would be a sound argument if Meadows was a better talent than Sean Manaea. But that is not the case. Manaea's ceiling is #1 starter. And he could be a pretty damn good one. If his injury had never happened, he likely could have gone #1 overall. I'll take that risk at pick #34. Hunter Dozier could also be a serviceable player at some point, which is nothing to be ashamed of. You can't convince me that Meadows looks like a definite all-star at this point. The kid is in rookie ball. I usually reserve that sort of judgment until I've seen a prospect succeed at several levels of minor league ball. Sometimes longer.

(Hint: Austin Meadows should not ever be compared to Mike Trout)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview