Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1923022 - 06/09/13 11:37 PM Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence
when he went OFF the reservation with his Hunter Dozier selection. This pick had better pan out or he may eventually find himself out of a job

#1923099 - 06/10/13 11:02 AM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Moore's fate will not hinge on Dozier. He'll either be gone or extended by the time Dozier would debut.

#1923222 - 06/10/13 02:53 PM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/royals-draft-pick-switch-gambit-pays-off/

Good article on the way the Royals worked the first couple of rounds. Pretty interesting.

#1923347 - 06/10/13 10:29 PM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Not trying to sound snarky — but Moore and company passed on Austin Meadows when he fell into their lap. They didn't 'work' anything

#1923358 - 06/10/13 11:07 PM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
There's so much that goes into every microscopic decision that is made within every professional sports organization. First round draft picks are of enormous consequence in the eye of the public. They didn't make a sexy pick; they made a financially sound one. I'm not sure that it will work out. It could be as bad as Christian Colon. We don't know yet though.

It's so tiresome to hear people who think they're always the smartest in the room, especially when it comes to things like this. There is so much that you don't understand. I'm not happy with how the Royals have done and I haven't been for a long time. I'm not sure if I'd like to see much of this administration back next year. At this point, I'm undecided. I'll take Dayton Moore and company over any message board 'genius' though.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

#1923360 - 06/10/13 11:19 PM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Austin Meadows

#1923361 - 06/10/13 11:31 PM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Hunter Dozier and Sean Manaea.

#1923363 - 06/10/13 11:49 PM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: JFish26]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Any chance Manaea signs?

#1923367 - 06/11/13 12:10 AM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: JFish26]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: JFish26
Hunter Dozier and Sean Manaea.

Could have had Manaea and Meadows, obviously

#1923368 - 06/11/13 12:11 AM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: CrimsonNBlue
Any chance Manaea signs?

Doubtful. Just a few months ago he was a projected Top 10 pick. Will probably go back to school and take his chances in the 2014 draft

#1923370 - 06/11/13 12:14 AM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Draft Meadows and there's absolutely no chance to sign Manaea, the guy the management really wanted. Need quality college pitching because we just traded away Odorizzi and Monty and Lamb is a question mark at best. Manaea could end up being an absolute steal.

#1923371 - 06/11/13 12:15 AM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Biggest winners and losers from Day 1 of the draft:
Draft winners

The PIrates were the biggest winners after getting Meadows with the No. 9 selection and the top HS catcher with the No. 14 selection.

And KC was the biggest losers after passing on Meadows

#1923372 - 06/11/13 12:18 AM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: CrimsonNBlue
Draft Meadows and there's absolutely no chance to sign Manaea, the guy the management really wanted. Need quality college pitching because we just traded away Odorizzi and Monty and Lamb is a question mark at best. Manaea could end up being an absolute steal.

Actually, now that I think about it, Manaea is injured, so their is a chance the Royals will get him at a discount regardless of whether they would have selected Meadows or Dozier.

Meadows would have been a perfect fit. Don't let your 2nd round guy dictate who you take in the 1st. Passing on premium talent like Meadows is a huge gamble.

And by the way, it would have been an absolute steal if the Royals would have selected Meadows in the 1st. Most experts didn't think he would even drop that far

#1923373 - 06/11/13 12:25 AM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Well I can link opinions, too. For that guy to evaluate the Royals' day based only on the Dozier pick and not even mention the Manaea pick makes the analysis completely worthless.

Going back to college would be incredibly risky for Manaea as he's hurt right now and still needs surgery/recovery. Royals are making it pretty clear they're willing to give him first round $$$ right now.

I'll just wait for Fish as he'll likely have information from people that actually know the signing situation.

#1923374 - 06/11/13 12:30 AM Re: Moore thinks he found a Trout type talent [Re: yoda]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Originally Posted By: yoda
Actually, now that I think about it, Manaea is injured, so their is a chance the Royals will get him at a discount regardless of whether they would have selected Meadows or Dozier.

Royals were also waiting on Bickford.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not sold that this works out for the Royals. I just am no longer pissed about the first pick now that we know there was some actual strategy in overdrafting.

And the scouting report on Meadows is great and passing on him and then watching him subsequently turn into a multiple all-star is very Royals-like thing to do and happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview