Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1920840 - 06/06/13 01:25 AM Wil Myers on fire
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence
— From cbssports --

6/3/13) Rays outfield prospect Wil Myers was named International League batter of the week for May 27-June 2. Myers hit .423 with four home runs and 15 RBI last week for Triple-A Durham. Myers has six home runs and 21 RBI in his last 10 games. He has a .955 slugging percentage and 1.380 OPS in that span.

Myers' slash line through 51 games is .280/.500/.858.

— Wil Myers starting to heat up --

by Jeff Tobin | CBSSports.com
(5/29/13) Wil Myers, the top prospect in the Tampa Bay Rays organization and top-five in all of baseball, started the season with fairly pedestrian numbers.
Oh, what a difference 10 games make.

Since May 17, Myers has a .333 average while collecting five home runs, 16 RBI and nine runs scored. He's sporting a 1.089 OPS over that period, too. In fact, all five of those aforementioned homers have come in the last six games. His season slash line is at .266/.346/.473. That's still well below last year's pace and the expectations heading into the 2013 season, but the nine home runs and 40 RBI are nice to see.

Many were expecting Myers to be called up by now, but his mediocre start and some performances from others with the big club have slowed his progress to the majors a bit. His recent stats will likely quell some concerns that his 2012 season was mostly a product of playing the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League, but we'll have to wait a little longer to see his debut with the Rays

#1920870 - 06/06/13 08:33 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Triple AAA is really for people who will never succeed at the Major League Levels. Most real stars make the jump from Double AA.

#1920882 - 06/06/13 09:17 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Wil Myers is tearing up the minors? Wow!!!!

#1920908 - 06/06/13 09:58 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
Johnny Giavotella has tore up AAA numerous times. You saw how that relates to the majors.

#1920952 - 06/06/13 10:50 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
Myers' stats for the season as a whole are still not very impressive, but there's no doubt he had a monster week. I still think he's going to be a very good player, but if he turns out to be nothing, then the Royals won that trade easily.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

#1920957 - 06/06/13 10:52 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Loc: KC, MO
He's almost assuredly going to be a multiple all star. It's like murphy's law with the Royals.

Next GM will be dealing with some pretty empty cabinets. That trade plays no small part.

And add into it, the bust of Christian Colon, Bubba Starling eventually playing QB for KU (please!), and now Zimmer is really struggling.

Get me out of this Royals depression.

#1920963 - 06/06/13 10:55 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Zimmer is going to be fine. Starling may still be fine too. People are losing their minds way too quickly. I would sure love for the Royals to be drafting Appel tonight though.

On a brighter more, Ventura just got bumped up to AAA ball after a stellar start in AA NW Arkansas.

#1920965 - 06/06/13 10:57 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Very worried about Starling, but yes, still hopeful on Zimmer. But what is Zimmer's ceiling anyway? Probably 3rd in the rotation, maybe 2nd.

Royals have no shot at Appel now that he has to sign with a team.

#1920971 - 06/06/13 11:00 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Probably a ceiling of a #2, but more realistically a #3. They have a couple other decent prospects in the organization. But if (and likely when) Dayton is sent packing, the next GM is going to have a daunting task set on his desk.

They haven't had a chance at Appel for a long time. Guy looks almost can't-miss.

#1921023 - 06/06/13 12:04 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
mtglite Offline
Dee-cent

I wish Myers the best of luck, if he was with the black hole that is the Royals I am sure he would suck, best career move ever is getting traded out of here.
I honestly don't see daylight with this organization.

#1921028 - 06/06/13 12:06 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: mtglite]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

With a new regime, we'll all be suckered in again.

#1921039 - 06/06/13 12:13 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's cyclical. Even if it's a long time, the Royals will contend again or cease to exist--I doubt the latter--within (most) of our lifetimes.

#1921041 - 06/06/13 12:14 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
mtglite Offline
Dee-cent

sweet so it may or may not be 27 more years of this bullshit!

#1921112 - 06/06/13 01:20 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Pretty much. Sports are bittersweet. At least we get more of the sweet from our Hawks.

#1921124 - 06/06/13 01:27 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

The mizzou-Royals fans can deal with this sh1t.

This is unfamiliar territory for us.

#1921139 - 06/06/13 01:35 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: CrimsonNBlue
He's almost assuredly going to be a multiple all star. It's like murphy's law with the Royals.

Next GM will be dealing with some pretty empty cabinets. That trade plays no small part.

And add into it, the bust of Christian Colon, Bubba Starling eventually playing QB for KU (please!), and now Zimmer is really struggling.

The Royals can always deal the prospects of Christian Colon and Bubba Starling as they still have trade value for the F/A that will be traded this year with expiring contracts.

F/A
Chase Headley, Brian McCann, Michael Morse,Shin-Soo Choo,
Hunter Pence, Nelson Cruz, David Murphy, Chase Utley, Jacoby Ellsbury, Justin Morneau, Jhonny Peralta, and Corey Hart.

A sure thing that can play and bat now is better than a "prospect" that could make it. I'd trade Colon and Starling for a Chase Headley. Other lower rated prospects for the rest of the bunch and a KC small market discount of course. smile

The Royals have Jason Adams, Yordano Ventura, Kyle Zimmer in the minors who have MLB talent but need some time to develop. Dayton and the Atlanta Braves philospohy is working. The hitting is also working as Moos, Butler, Gordan, Hoch, ect are getting to the majors they just aren't Hall of Famers. Everyone who could come up did and the kitchen cupboards and refrigerator is empty. When you sign a 35 year old Xavier Nady just to have a body in AAA, then you know your hurting.

The Royals will not be able to sign anyone, only through trade will an hitting acquisition be made.

Dayton will be around for a while. Patience and faith fellow Royals fans.

#1921155 - 06/06/13 01:47 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Nobody in their right mind is trading for Christian Colon.

#1921169 - 06/06/13 02:01 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Royals needs to draft someone line Paul Goldschmidt in the 8th round. Why didn't those Royals scouts know about this guy. He went to Texas State.

#1921174 - 06/06/13 02:03 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: christgs80]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: christgs80
Nobody in their right mind is trading for Christian Colon.

No one in their right mind trades for over the hills QB's from San Francisco on a regular basis but there are people out there.

Alcohol, drugs, women, stupidity, and money can be a deadly combination.

A General Manager who trades for him takes him thinking a former hot prospect with a change of organization and scenery might make it. It happens all the time.

#1921305 - 06/06/13 04:00 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: KC, KS
Originally Posted By: KUSPORTSFAN93
Zimmer is going to be fine. Starling may still be fine too. People are losing their minds way too quickly. I would sure love for the Royals to be drafting Appel tonight though.

On a brighter more, Ventura just got bumped up to AAA ball after a stellar start in AA NW Arkansas.

Zimmer maybe....Bubba? Don't count on it. The Royals really got pressured into that one. They almost had to draft him cuz he is a local. Just because they were so scared of the idea of missing on a guy in their backyard.

#1921309 - 06/06/13 04:01 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I really thought that someone would be on here blasting the Myers trade.

#1921380 - 06/06/13 04:39 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Chris was right. Maximus, as usual, is borderline insane.

Nobody wants Christian f*cking Colon. The guy is a lifetime minor leaguer, or so it seems at this point. Has shown absolutely nothing.

#1921505 - 06/06/13 06:46 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: rockchalker5]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: rockchalker5
Zimmer maybe....Bubba? Don't count on it. The Royals really got pressured into that one. They almost had to draft him cuz he is a local. Just because they were so scared of the idea of missing on a guy in their backyard.

Albert Pujols was a huge miss.

#1921518 - 06/06/13 06:50 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Nobody wants Christian f*cking Colon. The guy is a lifetime minor leaguer, or so it seems at this point. Has shown absolutely nothing.

Wil Myers did nothing his first 2 years in the minors before exploding so, its development. Wil Meyers goes from 5HR's to 14HR's and then to 30+ HR's. Think the Royals might know or suspect the PED be in his body?

The trade for Shields then is a done debate.

#1921808 - 06/07/13 05:37 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: Maximus]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Maximus

Wil Myers did nothing his first 2 years in the minors before exploding so, its development. Wil Meyers goes from 5HR's to 14HR's and then to 30+ HR's. Think the Royals might know or suspect the PED be in his body?

The trade for Shields then is a done debate.

Yeah, you figured it out. Moore knew that Myers is using PEDs and thus traded him for Shields. You're a genius. If I had the ability to ban certain posters from posting in my threads you would be at the very top of my list due to excess retarded comments.

You're one of those people that if you actually knew just how stupid you sounded on a daily basis, you might actually quit. Question, did you play baseball growing up? It seems highly doubtful you played.

Now you will post a picture to try to insult me in an attempt to try to show how cool you think you are. Just please quit posting in my threads. You insult me 24/7. I don't want or need your input about a sport you clearly know zero about. Your input is not welcome in my threads

#1921845 - 06/07/13 09:02 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

#1921857 - 06/07/13 09:25 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: Maximus]
rockchalker5 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: rockchalker5

Albert Pujols was a huge miss.

Which is why they didn't wanna miss another one. Pujols played in the area...but Bubba is a living legend in some people's minds around here.

#1922174 - 06/07/13 04:17 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

The win/loss of this trade will not be determined by the career Myers has with the Rays.

#1923933 - 06/12/13 12:13 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Royals fans are way too involved and impressed with what happens in the minors. Players are there for a reason...They aren't ready for the bigs. There are no magic bullets.

#1925467 - 06/17/13 12:43 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: Maximus]
thekid6 Offline
Jayhawk

Loc: At 5280 Feet
Triple AAA is really for people who will never succeed at the Major League Levels. Most real stars make the jump from Double AA.

Usually the truth.

#1925836 - 06/18/13 07:52 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: tyler]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Originally Posted By: tyler
The win/loss of this trade will not be determined by the career Myers has with the Rays.

Finally, someone recognizes how a trade should be evaluated. It is not how the players stats compare, it is whether the player you received fills the need you were trading for.

#1925853 - 06/18/13 08:45 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: jammahawk]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: jammahawk

Finally, someone recognizes how a trade should be evaluated. It is not how the players stats compare, it is whether the player you received fills the need you were trading for.

And the moves Dayton made this offseason have significantly helped the team. KC has the best ERA in the AL. The starting pitchers go deep in to the games which keeps the bullpen fresh. This team would be in 4th place or last this year with Myers in the field and Hochevar in the rotation. He has been way better in the bullpen.

#1925998 - 06/18/13 12:25 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: kylecof11]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

But the mere fact that we needed pitching so badly this offseason is also on Dayton.

The regime's failures there is the reason we had to give up one of the best hitting prospects in baseball.

#1926001 - 06/18/13 12:33 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

But the mere fact that we needed pitching so badly this offseason is also on Dayton.

The regime's failures there is the reason we had to give up one of the best hitting prospects in baseball.

May not have had to do that if Montgomery not lost it, and Lamb not had TJ. At least he didn't stick his head in the sand and let it ride.

Edited by jammahawk (06/18/13 12:33 PM)

#1926004 - 06/18/13 12:36 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: jammahawk]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

I know where you're coming from, but I just don't think you can't not look at what you gave up.

It was an obviously risky deal. Potential move that can set your franchise way back and get you fired.

I also don't think you can look at the deal without talking about Frenchy.

#1926030 - 06/18/13 01:24 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: kylecof11]
dchawkfan Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Originally Posted By: kylecof11

And the moves Dayton made this offseason have significantly helped the team. KC has the best ERA in the AL. The starting pitchers go deep in to the games which keeps the bullpen fresh. This team would be in 4th place or last this year with Myers in the field and Hochevar in the rotation. He has been way better in the bullpen.

I am kind of late to this discussion...but completely agree with this. So far I think KC came out of this trade pretty good. Really Elliot Johnson hasn't played to bad either. Shields and Davis have eaten innings up and really have pitched pretty well. Their win loss record doesn't show it like it could. Shields especially has pitched really well and hasn't been rewarded in the W/L column.

Sure Will Myers may end up pretty good...but we haven't even seen it at the MLB level and I have seen many phenoms in the minors that it doesn't translate to the majors.

I am happy with this trade at this point. I think our OF positions could be fine anyway going forward. Cain is playing well and Gordon obviously goes without saying. I really wonder if we don't keep seeing a lot of David Lough in Left. I also think Dyson will always have a spot on the team mainly because of that speed and the threat of him as a pinch runner.

I would always take good starting pitching over an outfielder...and I think Dayton got this one right. Hopefully it will pan out!

Go Hawks!!

DC

#1926031 - 06/18/13 01:27 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Myers 0-2 in Boston so far today. Dayton wins!

#1926041 - 06/18/13 01:54 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

BUST!!!!!

#1926116 - 06/18/13 03:30 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

0-2 in his debut?

Sucks.

#1926210 - 06/18/13 06:02 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

WOW 0-3 WITH A STRIKEOUT!!!

KC WON THIS TRADEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1926213 - 06/18/13 06:10 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

#1927931 - 06/22/13 02:15 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Grand slam for Myers against Yanks.

#1927939 - 06/22/13 02:48 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Which should have come in a Royals uniform - Moore needs to be fired

#1927945 - 06/22/13 03:23 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: yoda

Which should have come in a Royals uniform - Moore needs to be fired

Nah, Royals can't hit home runs because of the K, even when they're on the road. Remember?

#1928014 - 06/22/13 07:58 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks for reminding me.

While no doubt Shields is a really good pitcher, you can already tell this trade is well on it's way to blowing up in Moore's face. Sorry, but trading Wil for a 31-year old pitcher is ridiculous.

Trading Wil for Gerrit Cole would have made sense

#1928062 - 06/23/13 10:25 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Well that's exactly it. The Royals would have been in equal or better shape this year just plugging Myers in for Francoeur from Game 1.

#1928673 - 06/24/13 10:47 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
gatorhawk Offline
Sheldon Cooper

Myers hit his second homer. He has 2 in his first week. How many does Hosmer have in half a season? I think moose has 4 in half a season. Oh by the way he is hitting 294 so far. But, but the royals say it takes about 4 years for a prospect to actually be any good.

#1928675 - 06/24/13 10:52 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
gatorhawk Offline
Sheldon Cooper

"Myers, who's hitting .294 with two home runs, a double and seven RBIs after eight games"

Hosmer has 3 homers in 265 at bats.

Moose has 13 RBI in 213 at bats.

#1928778 - 06/25/13 11:13 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Dammmm..does this mean we will all have to admit yoder was right. No way.

#1928856 - 06/25/13 01:25 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
Rough. But Shields has been better than advertised. Top 20 in ERA and strikeouts in MLB. Just not the wins.

#1928861 - 06/25/13 01:45 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: JFish26]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Originally Posted By: JFish26

Well that's exactly it. The Royals would have been in equal or better shape this year just plugging Myers in for Francoeur from Game 1.

Yes Myers could be in RF for the Royals, but we'd probably have Chen lobbing from the mound in the rotation.
I'd love to have Myers, but the team put itself in a position to get pitching, and pitching costs.

#1928889 - 06/25/13 02:46 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: jammahawk]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: JFish26

Yes Myers could be in RF for the Royals, but we'd probably have Chen lobbing from the mound in the rotation.
I'd love to have Myers, but the team put itself in a position to get pitching, and pitching costs.

Ding ding ding. We would have Santana, Hochevar, Chen, Will Smith and Mendozar as the rotation. Which would be completely awful. Give me the rotation currently as is and go after someone like a Nate Schierholtz for RF.

#1928917 - 06/25/13 03:46 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

You forgot Guthrie in your list.

#1928918 - 06/25/13 03:46 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Guthrie? Not to mention the fact that the trade is an explicit acknowledgement that there was money to spend, so...Anibal Sanchez?

Even without a Sanchez move, it is looking like the trade, even this year alone, missed.

#1928926 - 06/25/13 03:50 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I'm not sure missed is the right word.

Shields has been exactly what the Royals needed (his record withstanding).

But having said that, I'd sure as hell would rather have Myers than Shields/Davis, but that's been well documented.

#1928937 - 06/25/13 04:05 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: christgs80]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Originally Posted By: christgs80
but that's been well documented.

By all of us. But let's all let yoda feel smart 6 months after we were all b1tching about earlier.

#1928942 - 06/25/13 04:24 PM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

CnB, I felt the same way half a year ago. I just wasn't on this board voicing my displeasure like you guys apparently were.

Now that Wil has been called up and off to a flying start with TB — the wounds are reopened and salt is being poured into them

#1929100 - 06/26/13 12:44 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: yoda]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Like I said in the other thread, it's unwise to judge Myers on this first handful of games. Hosmer made all of us believers in his rookie year. There's no doubt in my mind that Myers will struggle at some point, but how much and for how long remains to be seen. Maybe Myers' first three years end up looking like Hosmer's. I kind of doubt it, but we don't know that yet.

#2016783 - 04/11/17 08:35 AM Re: Wil Myers on fire [Re: Maximus]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The Royals can always deal the prospects of Christian Colon and Bubba Starling as they still have trade value for the F/A that will be traded this year with expiring contracts.

F/A
Chase Headley, Brian McCann, Michael Morse,Shin-Soo Choo,
Hunter Pence, Nelson Cruz, David Murphy, Chase Utley, Jacoby Ellsbury, Justin Morneau, Jhonny Peralta, and Corey Hart.

A sure thing that can play and bat now is better than a "prospect" that could make it. I'd trade Colon and Starling for a Chase Headley. Other lower rated prospects for the rest of the bunch and a KC small market discount of course. smile

The Royals have Jason Adams, Yordano Ventura, Kyle Zimmer in the minors who have MLB talent but need some time to develop. Dayton and the Atlanta Braves philospohy is working. The hitting is also working as Moos, Butler, Gordan, Hoch, ect are getting to the majors they just aren't Hall of Famers. Everyone who could come up did and the kitchen cupboards and refrigerator is empty. When you sign a 35 year old Xavier Nady just to have a body in AAA, then you know your hurting.

The Royals will not be able to sign anyone, only through trade will an hitting acquisition be made.

Dayton will be around for a while. Patience and faith fellow Royals fans.

Should have traded Christian Colon and Bubba Starling.

Will Myers trade looking horrible right now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview