Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1908487 - 05/09/13 09:01 PM Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Loc: Mile High City

#1908488 - 05/09/13 09:02 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

Seriously though....why a 3 game home stand after going east then long west trip?

#1908489 - 05/09/13 09:05 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
gquinn225 Offline
Prolly Thinks U Dumb

And to you Yankee fans out there, yes I realize that most other MLB fan's sound similar to you all as most other NCAAB fans sound to us as KU fans.

#1908548 - 05/10/13 08:25 AM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Nice pic gquinn225 for all those who remember when the Yanks and Royals used to go head to toe every time.

#1908564 - 05/10/13 09:11 AM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
You guys talking [censored] on my city's team?

Proceed.

And yea, the Royals travel schedule for the last 3 series isn't logical.

#1908593 - 05/10/13 10:28 AM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Originally Posted By: gquinn225
Seriously though....why a 3 game home stand after going east then long west trip?

Wierd scheduling guffaw. Royals should of went up the road and played the Yankees at their house. And scheduled them during a long homestand at the K.

#1908835 - 05/10/13 07:57 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
I would like to make a few points to my dear friend Maximus after he argued for Francoeur over Dyson.

In 111 ABs this year, Francoeur is hitting .234, with 1 HR, 9 RBIs, and 6 XBHs.

In 25 ABs this year, Dyson is hitting .280, with 1 HR, 6 RBIs, and 5 XBHs.

(This, of course, includes the HR tonight.)

Keep Dyson in there. The last thing this team needs is Frenchy Francoeur screwing himself into the ground with every swing. According to my small sample size, Dyson>Francoeur.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

#1908853 - 05/10/13 09:19 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
41and2since94 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Antarctica
Thanks again, Ned. You're the best.

How on earth do you bring Davis out there to start the 6th? Your offense just bailed you out to get the game tied in the bottom of the 5th. Davis is clearly struggling. Any competent manager takes the opportunity to bring in a new pitcher with the game reset you have been granted.

Instead, Ned the Genius leaves Davis in there. Only after he gives up two hits to start the 6th does he pull him. Damage basically already done.

Chalk up another loss by Ned.

Worth repeating again: the Royals will never make the playoffs with Yost as manager.

On the bright side: Good to see Francouer on the bench.

#1908932 - 05/11/13 09:46 AM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
Original AFH Gangsta

41, you arent posting anything earth shaking here. But what do you do, what MLB team will boot a manager with a winning record. It might not be that way for long though with the upcoming road trip. Who is out there that they might replace them with. Would you dare give Brett the job if he even wanted it...I got the over/under of losses definetly caused by Ned at 5 now....what say you.

#1908966 - 05/11/13 11:17 AM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: PHOGUSHER]
41and2since94 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Antarctica
It's not earth-shattering to you and me, but apparently it is to Royals' management and the KC media. There is absolutely no mention in today's KC Star of Ned's latest error. Can they not see it? Or are they afraid to question the team's decisions too often? Instead, there are two meaningless articles about fans still booing Cano. Who bleeping cares?

I don't know if it is the acceptance of mediocrity or an artifact of the Midwestern "charm" (being too nice and not questioning things). Regardless, it drives me crazy. NY or Boston media would tear Ned up for his decisions. I'm not saying I want to live there, but attitudes toward winning (or lack thereof) need to change around KC.

Ned has made terrible decisions in three losses this week--games that were easily winnable. Do the Royals win all three of those with a more sensible decision? Hard to tell, but the Shields debacle (which he amazingly claims he would do again) in all likelihood would have been a win with a competent manager.

I wish I would have kept track of games that Ned has done the opposite of what he should do, which is to put your players in the best position possible to succeed. Your number of five sounds plausible. The number of games in which he has made highly questionable decisions in high-leverage situations is probably higher than five. My first guess would be 8 or 9. However, you can't assume that the Royals would win all of those. Probably half to be fair. And, there was one game (can't remember the details) where Ned did something unconventional that led to a win.

I'm not well-versed enough in the coaching staffs out there to offer a suitable replacement. I think Showalter was available for each of the last two Royals' hires. Obviously he's not currently an option, but I'm not sure I want another re-tread or former player anyway. As much as I complain about Ned, I do think he has some positive attributes--the top of which is that it seems as though the players like and support him.

My solution--at least for the remainder of this season would be the following (and I'm more likely to be struck by lightning than to see it implemented):

Delegate Ned's in-game management responsibilities. Let him set the lineups, be the media guy, perhaps even still call the pitch-by-pitch signals, etc. Put someone with a great understanding of the game in the media box with a headset and a direct connection to Ned. Let them decide pitching changes, when to pinch-hit, bunt, etc. I know from years of experience that when you are the head coach/manager, it is hard to keep track of everything and still make consistently good decisions. You need someone sort of removed from the situation to see the big picture and to make decisions with a clear mind. Football does it with coordinators, why can't baseball? Be novel and trend-setting, Royals!

OK, spent too much time on this for a Saturday morning. Got a mile-long list of honey-do's. Later.

#1909007 - 05/11/13 01:19 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
Original AFH Gangsta

Agree with all you posted, but I didnt see an answer to if the Royals fired him who do they find as a replacement. The acceptance of mediocrity as an aspect of the midwest charm you are spot on about. East coast citys would not have tolerated the piss poor play of the Royals or the Chiefs for the last few decades. That attitude even drifts over to the one excellent sports team in the area..KU basketball. You dare not ever question Bill Selfs' coaching tactics(he is in fact to blame for the Michigan choke job) or the performance of some of the players. I guess its a midwest thing. 31 yrs on the east coast made me a more vocal demanding fan I guess.

#1909016 - 05/11/13 02:19 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think now a day, players are paid so much that they are just retiring versus players of 20 years who made good money but still want to do something like coaching to get paid as well as stay in the game. I don't see the top 10 players of the decade going into coaching gigs.

#1909019 - 05/11/13 02:24 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
I don't know that there's anything about being a great player that makes one a potentially great manager.

#1909039 - 05/11/13 04:53 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Football coach Steve Spurrier, former wrestling coach Dan Gable and John Smith, and tennis coach Brad Gilbert come to mind.

#1909136 - 05/11/13 09:32 PM Re: Series 12: vs The Phucking Yankees [Re: gquinn225]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Poor Shields...2-3 with a 2.48 ERA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview