Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1899917 - 04/21/13 01:10 PM James Shields
Maximus Online   confused
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Can we get this man some run support? In a no decision he gives up 1 run and in two losses he can up 3 and 1 runs. He deserves so much better. Season ERA at 3.00 and the guy should be 4-0.

No one is second guess having a #1 starter over someone still in the minors.

#1900123 - 04/22/13 02:12 AM Re: James Shields [Re: Maximus]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence
Wil Myers will likely be a superstar, meanwhile Big Game James is already 31. I would rather have Wil

#1900259 - 04/22/13 12:30 PM Re: James Shields [Re: yoda]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Originally Posted By: yoda
Wil Myers will likely be a superstar, meanwhile Big Game James is already 31. I would rather have Wil

The Royals have about a 2-3 year window to win now. Wil Myers would not help.

#1900263 - 04/22/13 12:36 PM Re: James Shields [Re: Maximus]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Pretty early to be making a statement like that.

Originally Posted By: Maximus

#1900286 - 04/22/13 01:22 PM Re: James Shields [Re: Maximus]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
I will say that, without blessing the trade, it is nice that the Royals have sufficient pitching to provide some assurance that catastrophic losing streaks will not happen.

#1900333 - 04/22/13 03:56 PM Re: James Shields [Re: jnewell]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: jnewell

Yea, I don't like hindsight but prefer foresight. Of course, with foresight you can be wrong but with hindsight every one is always right.

I have no problem going on record and being wrong either.

I also thought that KU wouldn't win a National Title last year but will in the next couple of years, I thought Rio would transfer at the start of the year, I think that Trey Burke will be the #1 draft pick in the NBA draft, I think that Eric Hosmer should be our 2nd baseman (got a lot of good laughs from that one), I thought KU should fire Turner Gill after the 1st game of the 2nd year but still watched every football minute as they were blown out for 60 point every game, I think Andrew White III will be a 1st round pick by the time his career is over (not looking good now but I still hold this view), I think that Elijah Johnson won't play professional basketball for his career where he won't have to get a regular 9-5 job, and I think deep down B_of_H is a big fan of Roy Williams who is still hurt over his exit. What else could explain his non stop talk about Roi's Boys?

Opinion- Kevin Young was the Jayhawk MVP for being the true glue to the team. I will miss his reverse dunks.

http://youtu.be/K1svxvMMikI

Edited by Maximus (04/22/13 04:21 PM)

#1900387 - 04/22/13 05:09 PM Re: James Shields [Re: jnewell]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: jnewell

I agree that KC was in desperate need of a top of the rotation, No. 1 type pitcher — however, a lot of experts are projecting Wil Myers to be a superstar

#1900602 - 04/23/13 09:34 AM Re: James Shields [Re: Maximus]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I would still undo the trade in a hot second if possible, but there was a time when Hosmer and Moustakas were as hot of commodities as Myers was this last offseason. I think two years of Shields are not worth six of Myers, in a vacuum, but I will concede that it is possible that these two years of Shields might be more important to the franchise.

#1900613 - 04/23/13 09:50 AM Re: James Shields [Re: JFish26]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: JFish26
I would still undo the trade in a hot second if possible, but there was a time when Hosmer and Moustakas were as hot of commodities as Myers was this last offseason. I think two years of Shields are not worth six of Myers, in a vacuum, but I will concede that it is possible that these two years of Shields might be more important to the franchise.

This is more of a stretch Fish, but what if after these 2 years Starling or Bonifacio are ready for action in RF, knowing Cain and Gordon will man CF and LF respectively. Does that change, albeit slightly, the opinion that trading Myers was a huge mistake?

It'll be interesting if KC does win and be in contention these next couple of years and Shields possibly re-signs for a deal similar that Guthrie has, with maybe higher amount.. Could there be a possible starting rotation of Shields, Zimmer, Duffy, Paulino and Davis?

Granted a lot of "what ifs" but who knows. All I know is KC is starving for some winning baseball, and Shields has been extremely instrumental in that so far.

#1900631 - 04/23/13 10:11 AM Re: James Shields [Re: Maximus]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Everything I read about Bubba Starling is that he's struggling horribly to adjust hitting-wise.

And horribly is putting it nicely.

#1900637 - 04/23/13 10:22 AM Re: James Shields [Re: kylecof11]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: kylecof11

This is more of a stretch Fish, but what if after these 2 years Starling or Bonifacio are ready for action in RF, knowing Cain and Gordon will man CF and LF respectively. Does that change, albeit slightly, the opinion that trading Myers was a huge mistake?

It'll be interesting if KC does win and be in contention these next couple of years and Shields possibly re-signs for a deal similar that Guthrie has, with maybe higher amount.. Could there be a possible starting rotation of Shields, Zimmer, Duffy, Paulino and Davis?

Granted a lot of "what ifs" but who knows. All I know is KC is starving for some winning baseball, and Shields has been extremely instrumental in that so far.

Guthrie money won't get Shields done. If this year is a successful one and he exhibits no significant red flags, you probably need to put a 4/$60 extension offer on the table and hope he prefers that to the 1/$12 option you have on him.

#1900791 - 04/23/13 01:58 PM Re: James Shields [Re: Maximus]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

This many experts can't be wrong about Myers — that he will in fact be a true superstar. Sorry, but six years of Wil Myers would have proven more important than two years of Shields, who is 31.

Look at the Brewers, who traded a haul of players for Zach. They wound up losing in the 1st round of the playoffs that year. Not sure they even won a game in the playoffs. They mortgaged their future for what? A 1st round playoff loss? A division title?

Yep, I would rather have Wil

#1900868 - 04/23/13 04:50 PM Re: James Shields [Re: JFish26]
Wilt Chamberlain

OK, hypothetically, the trade is undone and never was. How did you replace Shields 4 game start with an ERA of 3.00 with 26K's and WIP of 1.11?

Please don't mention Chen, Hoch, or anyone in Omaha?
You also need to account for momentum and chemistry. Every time Shield battled against the opposing teams #1 and keep KC in the game, he gives everyone on the team hope and confidence. If Shields is not the #1, your #2 or #3 slides into his rotation spot and goes against the #1 that also effects your #3 now going against the other teams #2.

The Royals would probably have an losing records with all of the adjustments you just made by unwinding the deal.

#1900870 - 04/23/13 04:52 PM Re: James Shields [Re: Maximus]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

...so in order to justify undoing the trade, I have to make a case based entirely on how the first three weeks of this one season went, in hindsight?

#1900898 - 04/23/13 05:49 PM Re: James Shields [Re: Maximus]
yoda Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It depends on what your expectations of Shields are?

But unless KC wins a World Series with Shields as their ace, the Shields for Myers trade (yes, I know other players were involved) was not a very good one.

Essentially, a potential superstar was traded for a quality pitcher who happens to be 31.

Tampa Bay came away, clearly with the best overall player in the trade

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview