Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18994 - 01/05/07 10:33 AM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: KUColBond]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Quote:

For discussion: Is Croyle capable of being the future quarterback at KC? Do they plan on him or try to draft the best QB they can reasonably get?

Yes. I think next year you see Croyle as the backup, and by 2008, it could be a Bledsoe/Romo thing where Croyle becomes the starter midway through the season.

#18995 - 01/05/07 11:44 AM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: jaihaux]
yomang Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

I love the Chiefs fans who booed Green on Sunday.

Let's see ... man is going to go down as the best QB in Kansas City history after Len Dawson (Montana's two seasons, while great, cannot count). He's done nothing but good things within the city. Model citizen. Great leader. Great teammate. Engineered the best offense of the decade. And yet, people boo him?

Huard, while again I appreciate what he's done, beat Seattle, San Fran, Arizona and St. Louis. Four teams from the NFL's worst division. He also nearly cost us against San Diego with a costly fumble, but thanks to an opportunistic defense that forced two quick turnovers and clutch kicking by Lawrence Tynes, the Chiefs were able to win. Funny, nobody talks about Huard's performance against non-playoff teams like Pittsburgh and Miami, who both totally made Huard look bad.

Yet, Green plays bad against Baltimore and San Diego and at times against Jacksonville (three of the NFL's top defenses), and everybody is ready to toss him aside. Newsflash: Kansas City would not have beaten Baltimore with Huard.

And don't give me the crap "Look what he did against Jacksonville!" Look what Michael Bennett did against Denver - two runs for what, 60 yards? Not bad. Huard had one drive, which included two nice passes, one of which was helped by the catch of the year by Kennison. Yet, when the Chiefs got to the red zone, the drive stalled. The Chiefs scored on THIRD AND 10, and ran the ball in with Larry Johnson. The Chiefs were playing for a field goal, and got a gift from Larry Johnson.

Excellent post.

Don't forget Green's pass against Baltimore saving the season for the Chiefs. Getting late in the fourth quarter with KC 3rd and 14. Green hits a receiver on a crossing pattern perfectly in stride for 16 yards. The pass had just enough touch on it to clear the LB's reach, just enough power on it to beat the safety (Ed Reed?) closing fast with perfect accuracy. Gain of 16...first down. Drive continues.

Maybe five QB's in the NFL could have made that pass. Huard sure as hell is not one of them.

#18996 - 01/05/07 12:17 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: yomang]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
Green Starting

#18997 - 01/05/07 01:14 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: Ike]
holidaysmore Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Huard or Green. I think that Herm sticks with Green no matter how he plays. Herm is very loyal to his players and I think he sticks with Green.

#18998 - 01/05/07 01:28 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: yomang]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Quote:

Huard sure as hell is not one of them.

I saw Huard make several passes that Green could only think about making. Green's accuracy does not even touch Huard's.

#18999 - 01/05/07 02:52 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: hasbeen]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Quote:

Huard sure as hell is not one of them.

I saw Huard make several passes that Green could only think about making. Green's accuracy does not even touch Huard's.

Career numbers: Green 2143-3527 (61 percent), for 26,963 yards. 157 touchdowns and 101 INTs. Those are pretty good numbers, especially that 61 percent. Compare to Tom Brady, who is at 61.9 percent.

This year, Green is a bit over 61 percent. Huard is a bit under 61 percent. Accuracy? Green is better, even with a head that was nearly cut off from his body. And the defenses Green went up against were better than the ones Huard did.

#19000 - 01/05/07 02:53 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: jaihaux]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

How many of Huard's incompletions were caught by the other team? Green?

#19001 - 01/05/07 02:56 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: hasbeen]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

How many of Huard's incompletions were caught by the other team? Green?

Again, compare the defenses. Even going against better defenses, Green still was a more accurate passer.

Remember the first INT Green tossed last week? Remember the play before? Green hit Samie Parker on a perfect pass that would have been a first down inside the 25. Instead, Parker drops it, and KC has third and long. Green is INT'd when LJ should have gotten the ball after Parker's catch ... er, drop.

#19002 - 01/05/07 02:57 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: jaihaux]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

You're clearly not going to budge. Huard has been the better quarterback this season. End of story. You can continue to wear the Trent Green glasses all you want. I hope he goes out and throws three TD's and Kansas City plays another week.

#19003 - 01/05/07 02:57 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: hasbeen]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
Green deserves it and you guys know who. He is a vetren and can carry the team to victory!

#19004 - 01/05/07 03:42 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: hasbeen]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

You're clearly not going to budge. Huard has been the better quarterback this season. End of story. You can continue to wear the Trent Green glasses all you want. I hope he goes out and throws three TD's and Kansas City plays another week.

Huard has done a fabulous job considering the circumstances and is a big reason the Chiefs are playing this week. Nobody can dispute that. But Huard isn't as great as some believe he is and Green isn't as bad as some say.

At this point, while I'd love to see LJ bust for 250 and 5, I'd almost rather see Green throw for 300 and 3. Won't happen, but if the Chiefs win, I don't care if it's Green or Huard who plays. Bottom line is the right QB is starting, and if Herm pulls him, so be it. I won't be mad at Green and I'll support Huard. Green has meant too much to Kansas City for any true Chiefs fan to turn their back on him.

#19005 - 01/05/07 04:22 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: jaihaux]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Go Chiefs!

#19006 - 01/05/07 07:11 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: 1985hawk]
kjay1955 Offline
Jayhawk since 66

Loc: Dallas, TX
I became a Chiefs fan about the same time I became a Jayhawk fan (1966). Yes, I was alive and well for SB's I and IV. I treasure every opportunity this team has in a playoff game, because it's rare. As much as I really like Trent Green I am very nervous about his play since he came back to the starting line up. He can't turn it over 2 times, let alone 3 like last week, if we hope to play with the Colts in their dome. Unless Herm saw brilliance this week in Trent's practices, I say go with Huard. By the way, Huard is 3 year's younger than Trent and is more in his prime. Trent is past his prime now (sorry to say this).

#19007 - 01/06/07 12:19 AM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: jaihaux]
crooner Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

Green has meant too much to Kansas City for any true Chiefs fan to turn their back on him.

In essence, jaihaux, THIS is all you mean. And it's OK.

I'm for preparing for the biggest game of the season with my head, not my heart. He's been a warrior, true; but do we OWE him 2 INT's in the 1st quarter before we pull our heads out and decide to go with Huard, the sound choice? I say no. We simply do not have that margin for error in this game.

Some would say, "swing for the fences" with this game. I can agree somewhat; I think Green is going to be boom or bust today. As in, 23-29, 4TD (1rush), 0INT; OR, the more likely 7-19, 0TD, 3INT-type game. But whether Huard has a good game or a bad one, he stills leaves un in position to win. I'd rather start Huard.

#19008 - 01/06/07 12:37 AM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: crooner]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Quote:

Green has meant too much to Kansas City for any true Chiefs fan to turn their back on him.

In essence, jaihaux, THIS is all you mean. And it's OK.

I'm for preparing for the biggest game of the season with my head, not my heart. He's been a warrior, true; but do we OWE him 2 INT's in the 1st quarter before we pull our heads out and decide to go with Huard, the sound choice? I say no. We simply do not have that margin for error in this game.

Some would say, "swing for the fences" with this game. I can agree somewhat; I think Green is going to be boom or bust today. As in, 23-29, 4TD (1rush), 0INT; OR, the more likely 7-19, 0TD, 3INT-type game. But whether Huard has a good game or a bad one, he stills leaves un in position to win. I'd rather start Huard.

I'm not talking about Herm Edwards' decision to play which QB. He needs to do what he feels is necessary, and I support him 100 percent, even if it means playing Huard. I'm not playing or preparing for the biggest game of the year, so I don't have to make the decision on who to start. That's Herm's job, and he'll make the right one.

As fans ... the booing and berating of Green is uncalled for. Totally uncalled for. And the fans who booed him last week or think that he doesn't deserve to play Saturday are not real fans. You can think Huard is the man, but to say Green has been bad without looking at all the facts objectively is not fair. Yes, Huard as better numbers, but against crappy defenses. Yes Green has not played well, but against great defenses.

Two things to consider about Green

1. Final drive, third and six, Green gets a free play because of offside. Rather than throw the ball away and take his chances on third and one, he runs for the first down.

2. Final drive, final play. Fourth and three. Hard count, Jax player jumps, nearly gets back. Before he does, Green notices and quick-snaps the ball. Offside, five yard penalty, first down, game over.

Does anyone think a player as inexperienced as Damon Huard makes either of those plays?

Now, let's look at one more thing, the Chiefs' two biggest losses of the year.

1. Cleveland. Can anyone really blame a QB who throws for nearly 300 yards, four scores and without any turnovers?

2. Miami. Huard was dreadful. Absolutely dreadful.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview