Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#18964 - 01/04/07 10:22 AM Huard or Green?
1985hawk Offline
Moderator-Retired

Loc: Back here
I think Huard gives the Chiefs the best chance to win. Why do the Chiefs always have a quarterback controversy?

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Trent Green's sore ankle limited him in practice Wednesday and there are signs Kansas City coach Herm Edwards may have his struggling quarterback on a short leash.

Green, who committed three turnovers and got booed in Sunday's playoff-clinching victory over Jacksonville, is still slated to start Saturday at Indianapolis. But waiting in the wings is fan favorite Damon Huard, who was an impressive 5-3 in eight starts while Green recuperated from a severe concussion sustained in the season opener.

"I anticipate (Green) starting," Edwards said Wednesday. "But we'll see how far he comes along tomorrow."

Since returning against Oakland on Nov. 19, Green hasn't looked as sharp as the quarterback who passed for more yards (16,334) from 2001-05 than anyone in the NFL but the Colts' Peyton Manning.

He has thrown seven touchdown passes with nine interceptions, and has been sacked 24 times. His poor quarterback rating of 74.1 is dwarfed by the 98.0 of Huard, who threw 11 TDs and only one interception while subbing for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Green came out of the Jacksonville game briefly with an ankle injury and watched Huard march the offense downfield to a quick touchdown, setting up the score with a beautifully thrown 40-yard gainer to Eddie Kennison.

Edwards said Green did not do any team work on Wednesday.

"It's sore, I know that," he said of Green's ankle. "We'll see tomorrow."

A quarterback controversy has simmered for two months, with a growing number of fans climbing on board the Huard bandwagon. Edwards seemed to encourage that faction on Tuesday when he admitted he would be more inclined to replace a struggling player in the playoffs than he would in the regular season.

"You have to win the game," Edwards said. "There's no tomorrow. And you have to do whatever is best for the football team at that point. I'll do whatever I have to do. When you're in the playoffs, you're desperate."

Green said Wednesday he's not looking over his shoulder.

"I'm more worried about the Colts' defense and trying to get as healthy as I can for this game," he said. "I've taken some shots the last few weeks and am trying to get as healthy as I can and worry about the Colts' defense. Whatever everybody else is saying or whatever decisions are being made, the Colts are my main focus."

Told that he would be giving hope to the anti-Green clamor, Edwards became defensive.

"People will think whatever they want to think," he said. "At the end of the day, I make the decisions. I made a decision to start Trent when he was ready to play. He's our starting quarterback. He's our starting quarterback going into the playoffs, and I anticipate he's going to play good."

Huard said he's not expecting to play against the Colts.

"I'm just going to prepare the same as I always prepare every week," he said. "You've always got to be ready to play on a second's notice. You never know, just like last Sunday. I had to go in there when Trent got nicked up. So you're always ready to play."

Green had started 81 straight games before taking a brutal hit from Cincinnati's Robert Geathers on Sept. 10. He was taken unconscious to a hospital and spent 10 weeks recovering from a severe concussion.

He said he was unaware of Edwards' comments.

"I'm just going to prepare the best I can, play as best I can," he said.

"Everything else is out of my hands. I just have to do as good a job as I can do and not get caught up in that. I anticipate going out and having success and the offense playing well and me playing well. That's all I can do, I can't worry about any of the other stuff."

#18965 - 01/04/07 11:58 AM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: 1985hawk]
crooner Offline
Baby Jay

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUARD!

#18966 - 01/04/07 12:52 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: crooner]
holidaysmore Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I have been in Green's corner since he came back but after watching the Jax game I think it is time that we play Huard. Green just doesnt look right in the pocket and he doesnt look comfortable at all right now. When you miss over half the season and expect to step in and pick up right where you left off from last season it just wont happen. I believe that Huard gives us the best chance for a very winnable game in Indy.

#18967 - 01/04/07 01:08 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: holidaysmore]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Green starts if healthy. Damon Huard is 33. It's not like he's a hot-shot young prospect finally getting his due. Huard has done well this year ... against some very, very bad teams. But I do admit he probably saved the Chiefs season.

If Green is OK, he starts.

#18968 - 01/04/07 01:37 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: jaihaux]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Were you watching the Jacksonville game? Huard gives us the best chance to win. Simple.

#18969 - 01/04/07 01:52 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: hasbeen]
crooner Offline
Baby Jay

Jaihaux, what is your definition of OK? By my count, he hasn't been oK all season.

His instincts undr pressure are fit for a younger man, which is why it's only going to get worse.

And as far as the "Start Green, then Bench Him if He Sucks" theory, I think it does both QB's a great disservice. Green has laid it on the line for us, so why do people want to potentially give him the quick hook in his last game? Still holding out hope that he'll have a throwback, 3-TD, 0-TO afternoon? I'd love it, but I don't see it.

IF Huard is the QB we all as fans feel gives us the best shot at winning, there's nothing that should stop him from starting. Not Green's seniority, not the #2 scarlet letter (ok, number) by his name in the depth chart, not impending free agency, NOTHING. We're talking about win or die; I don't want to see us half-step in the biggest game of the season.

#18970 - 01/04/07 01:56 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: 1985hawk]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
[
Green he has thrown seven touchdown passes with nine interceptions, and has been sacked 24 times. His poor quarterback rating of 74.1 is dwarfed by the 98.0 of Huard, who threw 11 TDs and only one interception while subbing for him.

Yes that right there says it all, but unfortunately Herm has a bit of Marty disease, ( Remember when Cannon won all those games when Grbac was out only to be replaced by Elvis in the first game of the playoffs and promptly lose), so Herm will stick with Green unless he just cant recover from the ankle oowie.

#18971 - 01/04/07 02:00 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
crooner Offline
Baby Jay

If it was any position other than QB, would this even be a question?

I know he's the focal point of the offense, but let's take off the rose-colored glasses. Green is wearing down, and if we ride him 'til the wheels fall off, we may end up stranded in Indianapolis.

#18972 - 01/04/07 02:01 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
Funny thing is before the year started I would have laughed at you guys. I would have much rather have the Grossman or Griese problem. Now in Chicago it is almost - bring back Orton. Who is the third stringer in K.C. Croyle or Printers?

#18973 - 01/04/07 02:01 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: crooner]
trojanhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: LA, CA
I'm no Chiefs fan, but from what I've seen, I say go with Green. He may be uneasy under pressure, but he's the best QB on your team. I caught a bit of the Chiefs-Steelers game - all a team has to do is stack the box to stop Larry J and drop in a zone to stop Huard. Green has a decent history of picking apart secondaries.

Go with Trent.

#18974 - 01/04/07 02:02 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: trojanhawk]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

With all due respect, you haven't watched the Chiefs this season if you think Green has been better than Huard. It hasn't been close.

#18975 - 01/04/07 02:03 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: kuking123]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Croyle.

Apparently Herm is pretty high on him, too. Peterson and Co. are undecided about resigning Huard.

#18976 - 01/04/07 02:06 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: hasbeen]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Huard to Chicago? That would be a scary team.

#18977 - 01/04/07 02:08 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: hasbeen]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
Croyle kid has balls. I am not sure about his arm or a brain. At least his family is first class in my book. He could always go work at the Big Oak Ranch.

Edited by kuking123 (01/04/07 02:10 PM)

#18978 - 01/04/07 02:08 PM Re: Huard or Green? [Re: hasbeen]
trojanhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: LA, CA
I haven't watched them much this season. I just watched Huard throw horrible passes against a team I love to see lose (Pitt). I saw bits of other games.

Huard is efficient (not many INT and a decent comp%), but against mostly poor teams. When the Chiefs get down early to the Colts, do you think Huard can pass them out of trouble?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview