#18404 - 01/03/07 11:14 AM Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII
TheLTrain Offline
Intrigued from Afar

Loc: Phoenix Depot
To ponder or not to ponder -- that is the question:

1. Chris Peterson to (?)
2. Nick Saban to Alabama (done)
3. Bill Parcells to retirement (I hope)
4. Jimmy Johnson to Dallas Cowboys (I hope for this, too)
5. Norm Chow to Arizona Cardinals
6. Ron Rivera to Miami Dolphins (or Les Miles)
7. Bob Stoops to Dallas Cowboys (if Johnson doesn't take it)
8. Ken Whisenhunt to Atlanta Falcons
9. Jim Mora, Jr. to Washington Huskies
10. Steve Mariucci to Cleveland Browns
11. Romeo Crennel to a college team
12. Bill Cowher returns for another season

#18405 - 01/03/07 11:26 AM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: TheLTrain]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: South of Paris
Quote:

To ponder or not to ponder -- that is the question:

4. Jimmy Johnson to Dallas Cowboys (I hope for this, too)

Johnson may have lost the fire in the belly. Years of the soft, fishing life in the Keys can do that to you.

#18406 - 01/03/07 11:32 AM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: TheLTrain]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Lets, for the sake of argument, assume that Stoops packs up and heads for points south. Who does OU replace him with?

#18407 - 01/03/07 11:36 AM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: TheLTrain]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
1. Peterson to Florida - oops that was Urban Meyer - flavor of the year at Utah that went to Florida. Peterson stays for a year.

2. Saban to Alabama

3. Parcells back for more punishment with a lousy defense and a QB who he likes to ride and deserves to be ridden harder than his wife.

4. Jimmy Johnson to Fox, NBC, CBS, ESPN - who ever lets him say the most noise, the most often.

5. Norm Chow to take over the Titans once Jeff Fischer is offered another job.

6. Ron Rivera to Buddy Ryans house to learn some more. He has proven without Tommie Harris and Mike Brown he can't coach worth a damn. O.R.!

7. Bob Stoops to Atlanta

8. Ken Whisenhunt to the XFL (joke) or take over for Cowher.

9. Jim Mora back to S.F. to be an assistant.

10. Steve Mariucci to KU (another joke) goes to Joakland.

11. Romeo Crennel to Temple or Church

12. Bill Cowher to the Brownies.

#18408 - 01/03/07 11:59 AM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: NotAPuke]
beenahawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Quote:

Lets, for the sake of argument, assume that Stoops packs up and heads for points south. Who does OU replace him with?

Intersting thought there NAP! Perhaps we can pursuade the Sooner's to take Mangino? Though based on LGSU "logic" the pick would simply have to be Coach Bold & Daring since he is without a doubt the finest in the land!

If they would take Mangino, we could then call Pat Ruel and offer him the same $$$ as the Buddha which would soften the blow his wife would take with her job at USC.

RCJH!

#18409 - 01/03/07 12:01 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: beenahawk]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

The only thing the Sooners would take Mangino for would be to dress him up like Santa Claus and have him hand out money to recruits.

#18410 - 01/03/07 12:01 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: TheLTrain]
beenahawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
No mention of Nick Quataro or Dan McCarney????

#18411 - 01/03/07 12:13 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: kuking123]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: South of Paris
Quote:

The only thing the Sooners would take Mangino for would be to dress him up like Santa Claus and have him hand out money to recruits.

Or maybe he could sell cars in Soonerland.

#18412 - 01/03/07 12:27 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: shades]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Aw, c'mon, they could really use an offensive coordinator. You guys realize that OU hasn't won a BCS Bowl game since Mangino left?

#18413 - 01/03/07 04:02 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: shades]
TheLTrain Offline
Intrigued from Afar

I think people with Jimmy's temperament, ego drive, ego mania, competitiveness, and restlessness always keep their minds open to one last shot at "the pinnacle" regardless of what they're doing now.

He and Jones made nice-nice a few years back so I think they're on good terms again. There's enough talent in Dallas to compete for the NFC Championship game if not the Super Bowl. They will need a starting QB most likely unless Romo (mentally) comes back down to earth and plays like he has something to prove again.

Parcells alienated and drove off too much talent, leadership, and chemistry on the team. Parcells, now a kurmudgeon of sorts, has little or no positive effect on a team (imo). He should've stayed retired...Gibbs, as well. Parcells divided players rather than uniting them (imo). How many current players do you see standing up for Parcells or saying Bill's the greatest guy they've ever played for?

The "Parcells' guys" Bill brought in like Jason Ferguson to replace LaRoi Glover have not panned out. I think Dallas would've been just as well off to keep Joey Galloway and Antonio Bryant than to have Glenn and Terrell "Carcinogen" Owens. Perhaps Parcells disfavor for taking on Owens and giving him $25 million is the last straw...other than a first-round playoff loss to Seattle. (?)

I foresee Jimmy Johnson, Bob Stoops, and Pete Carroll on the hypothetical short list with money as no object.

#18414 - 01/03/07 04:12 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: NotAPuke]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Quote:

Aw, c'mon, they could really use an offensive coordinator. You guys realize that OU hasn't won a BCS Bowl game since Mangino left?

And KU HAS won a Bowl game with a crappy O.C. since Mangino arrived. I would still take Stoops over Mangino.

Edited by kuking123 (01/03/07 04:14 PM)

#18415 - 01/03/07 04:13 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: TheLTrain]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
Carroll will not leave USC for the NFL. He's been there, done that. Want to make a friendly wager?

#18416 - 01/03/07 04:21 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: tubby]
jaynieskitchen Offline
carpbait

I understand that all of those organizations contacted Mark Mangino . . . something about wanting to be the model of mediocrity for years and pay huge dollars to go no where . . . but I digress.

#18417 - 01/03/07 04:27 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: TheLTrain]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

Did Washington fire Tyrone Willingham? I know he lost something like 5-6 in a row there, but they did beat Washington State and finish 5-7, I believe.

I know Mora Jr. got himself in hot water with the Falcons for saying he would leave any job for the job in Washington, but I don't think it's going to happen. One more sub-par year for Willingham and then perhaps. But not now.

#18418 - 01/03/07 05:11 PM Re: Coaching Carousel - Chapter MCMLVII [Re: chiknbut]
TheLTrain Offline
Intrigued from Afar

chiknbut:

I don't know why Mora, Jr. said he wanted the U-Washington job publicly to begin with. He could've sent that message to the AD without anyone knowing. Lack of polish in these matters is my guess. You'd think he'd know better since his dad was prominent in the NFL for quite some time. Heck, he could've had his agent or his dad himself probe around for possibilities with the Huskies without putting his own foot in his mouth. Who knows? I like Ty Willingham and think he is an A-1 person by all accounts. But, I don't think he's a brilliant football coach. His best role, perhaps like Mangino's, may be as a coordinator.

tubby:

I don't think Carroll will go to the NFL this year. With the QB returning and a host of starters, I think USC will make a run at the title again next year and be in the top 3 in the preseason poll. If the Trojans win the BCS title game 12 months from now, I think Pete will THEN consider returning to the NFL under the right circumstances: namely control and esteemed organization (like a storied franchise and not a perpetual loser).

Of course, we've seen how coaches are notorious for saying one thing to the media in public and doing the 180-degree opposite the following week.

Preview