Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17791 - 01/02/07 10:59 AM well, boise put on the most entertaining...
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
football exhibition i've ever seen in all my days. and doing it to the gooners made it all the better. bobby's reaction at the end was perfect = "no way we win this frickin' thing."

and how about coach breaking the record with the absolute antithesis of bob knight basketball taking the last (missing) shot? perfect juxtaposition - made in basketball heaven.

now what will michigan complain about?

and its really too bad florida doesn't have a strong-armed qb to take ohio state down.

but i'll be watching knight v. huggs at 'the fred' that night on 'big monday,' so who cares?

#17792 - 01/02/07 11:03 AM Re: well, boise put on the most entertaining... [Re: tmcats]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
gotta showcase 2 weak teams on 'little monday' when the national championship game is on.

i guess you missed USC/Texas last year? now that was the most entertaining game i have ever seen. the thing about Boise is...while it's fun to watch...it's this bush-league MAC/WAC type of trick plays and baloney that is a novelty and a gimmick, but if they played in the Big12 they would have gone 7-5 at best. OU was pretty weak this season after losing Bomar and i enjoyed taking my Boise +7.5 to the bank. that was an easy call.

#17793 - 01/02/07 11:11 AM Re: well, boise put on the most entertaining... [Re: tmcats]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: South of Paris
Let's not get too carried away here. Boise has a spunky team, they have style, and they got some very nice breaks that allowed them to carry the game into OT.

Ohio State would probably beat them by 20--or 30.

#17794 - 01/02/07 11:20 AM football as we knew it... [Re: tubby]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

may be changing. the wide-open offensive show, led by innovative coaching may be taking some of the 5* recruits' glory.

and altho i loved the texas/sc game last year, it did not have the flare or romance of david v. goliath.

for my money the best game ever played was '66 nd v. michigan state. #1 v. #2. ended in a tie. but the irish went on the national c'ship beating usc the next week.

coley obrien came off the bench to lead the irish and went through life making his living on the banquet circuit telling that story.

jim lynch, alan page, terry hanratty, nick eddy, bob kuechenberg, ara, duffy, bubba smith, gene washington, george webster, jimmy raye (remember chiefs' fan?) - my god, that game was awesome even on the black&white philco.

#17795 - 01/02/07 12:03 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: tmcats]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

I enjoyed the hell out of the last 30 minutes of that game last night.

But be honest. So many people want to put the "genius" crown on the Boise coach for pulling that thing out.

Trouble is, he's one overthrown halfback option pass away from being called an idiot. People loved what he did because they perceived Boise State as being the true underdog and Oklahoma as being the steroid-riddled goliath thugs.

The talent on the field was pretty equal last night, as far as I could see. Boise State made the plays and executed the trickery well. This doesn't change anything college football wise.

One chest-thumping player was screaming "we shocked the world tonight" following the game. Not because Boise won. They may have thrilled us, but they didn't shock the world. Please.

#17796 - 01/02/07 12:27 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: chiknbut]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Austin
Peterson deserves the "genius" crown, whatever that is.

OU had the bigger, stronger (though not always faster) players. BSU's trick plays worked because they were genuinely surprising -- most of their plays being just good solid football.

All of it was executed with precision, which also bespeaks of great coaching from the whole staff.

As for being one play away from a different result, of course that is often the case, often the difference between win and lose. So what. If, another play, the BSU QB doesn't throw a zany sideline pass into OU's arms, BSU avoids OT. And so on.

If KU had evidenced half that much flair and precision this season, it would have been us, and not NU, in the Cotton Bowl.

#17797 - 01/02/07 01:47 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: Kirk]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

So what. If, another play, the BSU QB doesn't throw a zany sideline pass into OU's arms, BSU avoids OT. And so on.

Couldn't the same thing be said of P.Thompson's three interceptions? I mean, the kid threw those right to Boise players and hadn't thrown the ball that poorly all year long...

Boise State's signature wins (besides the trickery- and turnover-laced affair last night) were against Oregon State (at home) and Utah. Gimme a break. They don't sniff the top-20 if they play in any one of the BCS conferences.

#17798 - 01/02/07 01:51 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: jayhawk154]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

it irritates the shizzle out of me when people reduce the entire outcome of a game to one play. "had he not thrown the pick, there would have been no OT!" yeah, and had the RB scored a touchdown everytime he touched the ball they would have scored 123 points. these are the breaks of the game, whether they happen early, late, in the middle, frequently, rarely....games are 60 minutes, and no one play is solely responsible for the game's outcome. it's like the guys that say KU was 2 passes away from going 8-4. they were 2 games away from going 8-4, not 2 dropped passes.

#17799 - 01/02/07 03:29 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: jayhawk154]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
You folks can analyze that game until the cows come home. But the bottom line is, that was one of the most fun second halfs in a very long time. Props to both Oklahoma and Boise. Oklahoma snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. And Boise snatched both defeat and victory from the jaws of victory and defeat.

No game this bowl season did/will top that game.

#17800 - 01/02/07 03:38 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: MICHHAWK]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Agreed...great game!

Boise State...not great team, though. Good team, pulled out all the stops to win their biggest game.

#17801 - 01/02/07 03:49 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: jayhawk154]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
Quote:

So what. If, another play, the BSU QB doesn't throw a zany sideline pass into OU's arms, BSU avoids OT. And so on.

Couldn't the same thing be said of P.Thompson's three interceptions? I mean, the kid threw those right to Boise players and hadn't thrown the ball that poorly all year long...

Boise State's signature wins (besides the trickery- and turnover-laced affair last night) were against Oregon State (at home) and Utah. Gimme a break. They don't sniff the top-20 if they play in any one of the BCS conferences.

This is why you can't figure out college Football. Boise State beat Oregon State 42-14. Oregon State beat USC 33-31.

If you were from China and looked at that you might concur BSU is 30 points better than USC.

#17802 - 01/02/07 03:50 PM no one said... [Re: jayhawk154]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

anything different than that. is your observation suppose to be meaningful, 154? if so, start over...

Quote:

Agreed...great game!

Boise State...not great team, though. Good team, pulled out all the stops to win their biggest game.

#17803 - 01/02/07 03:54 PM Re: no one said... [Re: tmcats]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

MICH responded to my point and I responded to his...follow along, timmy.

My observation is that it was a great game, but any talk of Boise State being more deserving than a 2nd-tier bowl team is ridiculous.

#17804 - 01/02/07 04:02 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: kuking123]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

This is why you can't figure out college Football. Boise State beat Oregon State 42-14. Oregon State beat USC 33-31.

If you were from China and looked at that you might concur BSU is 30 points better than USC.

Well, then, let's get the ESPN experts to anoint Boise as the greatest of all time, just as they did last year with USC until the Trojans met Mr. Vince Young in the Rose Bowl.

#17805 - 01/02/07 04:03 PM Re: no one said... [Re: tmcats]
grape Offline
Dead Cat in the Middle of the Road

Quote:

anything different than that. is your observation suppose to be meaningful, 154? if so, start over...

I've yet to see a meaningful observation by jayhack154.

#17806 - 01/02/07 04:04 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: shades]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Well, then, let's get the ESPN experts to anoint Boise as the greatest of all time, just as they did last year with USC until the Trojans met Mr. Vince Young in the Rose Bowl.

i thought that was 2003 oklahoma's award?

#17807 - 01/02/07 04:06 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: shades]
hasbeen Offline
Zipper Jiggler

Shades, you're a UT fan, correct?

#17808 - 01/02/07 04:07 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: shades]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
Quote:

Quote:

That is why BSU will be forgotten when Florida beats OSU. Or if Florida loses - they will bitch that LSU should have played OSU. Or if LSU and Florida lose they will say USC should have played OSU. This whole BCS thing blows doughnut holes.

#17809 - 01/02/07 04:07 PM Re: no one said... [Re: grape]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

Can't help it if everything goes over your head, grapey.

#17810 - 01/02/07 04:08 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: tmcats]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

i thought that was 2003 oklahoma's award?

Thanks again for that sweet comeuppance you guys handed them. One of the great nights in sports.

#17811 - 01/02/07 04:13 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: hasbeen]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Shades, you're a UT fan, correct?

I've been known to root for them from time to time. In other games I've also been known to root for A&M (wow, did they stink up the state of California the other day), TCU, and KU.

#17812 - 01/02/07 04:15 PM Re: no one said... [Re: grape]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Quote:

Try these:

I've observed you to be an overly-jealous K-State fan obsessed with a KU message board.

AND...

An ignorant K-State fan, at that.

#17813 - 01/02/07 04:22 PM Re: no one said... [Re: grape]
mizzouisbad Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

I have yet to see a meaningful non flaming post out of you GRAPE.

#17814 - 01/02/07 11:19 PM The coach at Purdue... [Re: tmcats]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
has been trying tricks and precision in that conference since he left Wyoming 10 years ago. How many Rose Bowls has Purdue played in the last 10 years going up against OSU/Mich 5 stars?

OU runs outside of BSU last night and Petersone plants 200 on em. 5 star O linemen beat good coaches and precision route running every time.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#17815 - 01/02/07 11:24 PM Re: The coach at Purdue... [Re: John_Brown]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Quote:

has been trying tricks and precision in that conference since he left Wyoming 10 years ago. How many Rose Bowls has Purdue played in the last 10 years going up against OSU/Mich 5 stars?

One Rose--2001.

and some others:

Three Suns--2001, 2002, 2004

One Outback---2000 (Big11 champs)

One Champs---2006

One Cap One---2004

Two Alamos---1997, 1998 (beat Silo Tech)

Overall they get worked in bowls, however, under Tiller.

#17816 - 01/03/07 12:05 AM Forgot they won it in 01. [Re: tubby]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Wasn't that Cooper's demise in Nutland?

More often than not, 5 star O linemen/D linemen kick precision attacks all over the place.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#17817 - 01/03/07 01:49 AM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: chiknbut]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
My sis-in-law called me ecstatic from "Twin" (Twin Falls, Id) after they went up 14-0 early. Probably the best I've seen yet.

Love those mid-majors!

How you like Boulder Hawk?

#17818 - 01/03/07 08:52 AM Re: Forgot they won it in 01. [Re: John_Brown]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Austin
Quote:

More often than not, 5 star O linemen/D linemen kick precision attacks all over the place.

Dude totally. And that is why I am so grateful that KU is loaded with 5 star O linemen/linemen.

#17819 - 01/04/07 12:09 AM Re: no one said... [Re: grape]
HawkInDaHaus89 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Colorado
I looked at that trick play as sweet revenge for all the trick plays that Stoops pulled against the KU's and K-State's of the world. Finally, Stoops gets a taste of his own medicine in a big high profile game. I am sure this game will not improve recruiting for him. OU appears to be screwed next year, no QB with experience. Texas should be in the drivers seat again.

#17820 - 01/04/07 12:13 AM Re: no one said... [Re: HawkInDaHaus89]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Big Game Bobby seems to have lost some of the old magic.

#17821 - 01/04/07 12:13 AM Re: no one said... [Re: HawkInDaHaus89]
HawkInDaHaus89 Offline
Baby Jay

Sad that the Big 12 Champ makes history for Boise State. What a terrible year for Big 12 football. I think next year will be a different story with sophomore and junior qb's in the league. That QB from Wake Forest, Skinner as a freshman looked very good although.

#17822 - 01/04/07 12:16 AM Re: no one said... [Re: HawkInDaHaus89]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

OU backdoored into the top spot in the south, then goes on to play a weak UNL team for the BCS berth. i was not impressed with them.

wake had one helluva run, makes me think if they can do it, whay can't KU? crazy thing about Skinner is that he was what....their 3rd string QB? or maybe second, but Ben Mauk went down early in the year (their starter), and then the backup comes in and takes them to the orange and ACC championship. nice nice run by the Deamon Deacs!

#17823 - 01/04/07 12:20 AM Re: no one said... [Re: tubby]
HawkInDaHaus89 Offline
Baby Jay

With Skinner next year, I think WAke could repeat. Mark May said that Wake was a flash in the pan and the FSU's and Miami's would come back with a vengenace. FSU has been down for several years and will be until Bowden steps down. His age is being used against him by other ACC/SEC schools in recruiting battles. He needs to understand this and retire if he wants FSU back on top.

#17824 - 01/04/07 12:25 AM Re: no one said... [Re: HawkInDaHaus89]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

. . . until Bowden steps down. His age is being used against him by other ACC/SEC schools in recruiting battles. He needs to understand this and retire if he wants FSU back on top.

It's hard to leave the glory.

#17825 - 01/04/07 12:30 AM Re: no one said... [Re: shades]
HawkInDaHaus89 Offline
Baby Jay

FSU will never have another title game or even BCS game with Bowden. Like Joe Paterno, Bowden has past his peak/prime. JoePa was at his peak in 96 when Kerry Collins lead them undefeated but Penn State could not play Nebraska for the title because of the bowl arrangement. Nebraska finally beat Miami in the Orange and the voters were more impressed by that win then PSU beating Oregon in the Rose bowl. After the Boise game, we really need an 8 team playoff. Its time.

#17826 - 01/04/07 12:33 AM Re: no one said... [Re: HawkInDaHaus89]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

After the Boise game, we really need an 8 team playoff. Its time.

Or maybe just a four-team playoff. That would settle most of the arguments.

#17827 - 01/04/07 12:38 AM Re: no one said... [Re: shades]
HawkInDaHaus89 Offline
Baby Jay

4 would be better than nothing but I would like an 8 team playoff. It would let a rogue Boise State compete. After Monday night Boise State had athletes that can compete with anybody. But I will say they did not beat a great OU team. Had Boise State hooked up with the 2000 OU team with Josh Huepel, I don't think Boise wins or is even close. At least in a playoff format, the speculation is nonexistent.

#17828 - 01/04/07 12:44 AM Re: no one said... [Re: HawkInDaHaus89]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

The gadget plays look great in practice--and sometimes they even work in games. Even the pros are afraid to throw many halfback option passes, which often result in interceptions. That was Boise's magic night.

They need to enjoy it. It may not happen again for a long time.

#17829 - 01/04/07 10:13 AM wrong.... [Re: HawkInDaHaus89]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

4 would be better than nothing but I would like an 8 team playoff. It would let a rogue Boise State compete.

final bcs ranking had bsu at #9. they would not have qualified in an 8 team playoff system.

#17830 - 01/04/07 11:13 AM Re: no one said... [Re: shades]
Jphog Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence
Boise didn't run hardly any trick plays throughout the whole game until the last play of regulation and then they started using them like crazy in overtime. My main point is they stood toe to toe, and were winning for the most part in regulation against Oklahoma.

#17831 - 01/04/07 11:15 AM Re: no one said... [Re: Jphog]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

i would hope they could go toe to toe with OU, easily the biggest fraud of the BCS teams this year. they backdoored into the top spot in the south, then go on to play a weak UNL team for the BCS berth. i was not impressed with them at all this season.

#17832 - 01/04/07 01:09 PM Re: wrong.... [Re: tmcats]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Quote:

Quote:

4 would be better than nothing but I would like an 8 team playoff. It would let a rogue Boise State compete.

final bcs ranking had bsu at #9. they would not have qualified in an 8 team playoff system.

So the BCS rankings are the only thing you would use to determine who plays in an eight-team playoff? Doesn't matter if you win a conference title?

#17833 - 01/04/07 02:09 PM Re: no one said... [Re: tubby]
Phog4ever Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Hawk Heaven
I'd say Notre Lame was the biggest BCS fraud of the year

#17834 - 01/04/07 02:29 PM Re: wrong.... [Re: jaihaux]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

i would use the bcs system in some form. winning a conference would be extreme low on the point system. why should ou get beans relative to other conference winners like ohio state or usc. and what if the skers had beat ou in the big12 c'ship? yikes.

wins and sos would be my only two areas of interest.

#17835 - 01/04/07 02:39 PM Re: wrong.... [Re: tmcats]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Quote:

i would use the bcs system in some form. winning a conference would be extreme low on the point system. why should ou get beans relative to other conference winners like ohio state or usc. and what if the skers had beat ou in the big12 c'ship? yikes.

wins and sos would be my only two areas of interest.

So in an eight-team playoff, would pre-Oklahoma Boise State been in? I'd say yes.

#17836 - 01/04/07 03:18 PM my bad, bsu would have played osu in 1st round... [Re: jaihaux]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

1 Ohio State 1.000 v. 8 Boise State .710 @ the h'shoe
2 Florida .945 v. 7 Wisconsin .748 @ the swamp
3 Michigan .934 v. 6 Louisville .794 @ the big house
4 LSU .833 v. 5 USC .795 @ baton rouge

or @ orange, peach, cotton, sugar bowls

semis @ rose and feista

final @ wherever

go here to see bsu/ou highlights:

http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfootball/

#17837 - 01/04/07 04:45 PM Extremely long, but... [Re: tmcats]
c_dawg Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Kansas
The one that makes the most sense to me was offered up in a recent Sports Illustrated article by Phil Taylor...

Eight teams advance to the playoff, with automatic berths going to the champions of the six BCS conferences and two at-large berths reserved for the teams with the highest BCS ranking among the rest of the field. No more than two teams from a conference can be included in the field. The four highest seeds would play host to first-round games in mid-December.

The losers of the four first-round games would be slotted into BCS bowls, and the four winners would play the national semifinals in two other BCS bowls -- for instance the Rose Bowl and the Sugar Bowl this year, the Fiesta and the Orange next year, and so on.

The two winners would then play each other the following week in the national championship game.

This new system would address most of the BCS supporters' concerns, disingenuous as some of them may be:

A playoff would extend the season and cut further into the time players can spend in class . Academics didn't seem to be a concern when the NCAA voted last year to increase the maximum number of regular-season games from 11 to 12, a move that affected far more players' class time than a playoff system would. The season wouldn't end a day later than it does now, and the only additional games would be the four first-round matchups in mid-December, a period when most schools are on holiday break and bowl teams are cooling their heels at practice and growing stale. By the time Ohio State plays on Jan. 8, the Buckeyes will have gone 50 days between games. They may be the best team in the nation, but they might not look like it after the equivalent of a seven-week bye.

A playoff format would diminish the tradition and importance of the bowls and perhaps drive some of the minor ones out of existence . Incorporating the BCS bowl games into the playoff system would enhance their importance, not diminish it. As for the lesser ones, it's hard to believe that a playoff would steal some of the attention normally showered on games like the Pioneer PureVision Las Vegas Bowl. The bowl system, up to 32 games this year, has already been diluted by the creation of so many new ones over the last decade that mediocre seasons are rewarded with invitations. When Miami goes 6-6, engages in one of the ugliest brawls in recent memory and gets invited to the MPC Computers Bowl, perhaps it's time for some of the minor bowls to be abolished.

Regular-season games would be less meaningful . "I hate to use the word playoff, but in a sense, the BCS makes every weekend a playoff," says Slive. That's not quite true. If anything, this year has proved that the regular season isn't as unforgiving as BCS supporters make it seem. USC's surprising loss to Oregon State on Oct. 28 was thought to be a crippling blow to the Trojans' title chances, but after Michigan lost to Ohio State three weeks later, USC was back in contention. Arkansas absorbed a 50-14 whipping by USC in its opening game, yet the Razorbacks were in the running for a title-game berth until their loss to LSU on Nov. 24.

In some ways a playoff system would make the regular season even more meaningful. Consider last Saturday's dramatic action: Wake Forest edged Georgia Tech 9-6 for the ACC title; Florida beat Arkansas for the SEC championship in a game full of lead changes and shifts of momentum; and West Virginia beat Rutgers in a triple-overtime classic. Those games would have been even more thrilling had the stakes been even higher -- if a playoff spot (and not just a BCS berth) had been on the line. Under SI's playoff system, winning the conference title would be the only sure way to reach the playoffs, ensuring that league games would still be crucial. Playing a strong nonconference schedule would also be encouraged, both as a way of preparing for the all-important conference season and to help a team's BCS standing in the event it is fighting for an at-large berth.

Fans may not be willing or able to travel to multiple games to support their team. This argument against the playoff system may have some merit. The bowl games count on the participating teams to bring a sizable contingent of fans. That's reasonable when the fans have only one bowl to attend, but it becomes problematic if they are expected to crisscross the country for two or three weekends with their team. "The fans have to make decisions on whether they think their team is going to make it past the first round," says Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith. "And then are they going to go to the second round? Or both? And then the championship game? A lot of people aren't thinking about the practicality of what a playoff system would be at the I-A level." But the first-round games would be at home stadiums, and the added significance of those games and the semifinals being playoffs would attract more local fans not associated with the schools. What's more, considering the fan bases of the schools that would normally appear in these games, any seats left untaken would likely be grabbed by those who usually get shut out of their school's single bowl appearance.

There's also the likelihood that increased television revenue would help offset any shortfall from a potential drop-off in out-of-town attendance. Fox paid $320 million for the rights to BCS bowls except the Rose for the next four years, and a true playoff system would seem to be even more marketable to a television network. This season's elongated BCS bowl schedule -- the Rose and the Fiesta on Jan. 1, the Orange on Jan. 2, the Sugar on Jan. 3 and the BCS Championship Game on Jan. 8 -- may be a trial run to test the ratings in a playofflike format. Television money may be the only force capable of putting a playoff system in motion.

For now, the playoff movement seems to be spinning its wheels. Two weeks ago Florida State president T.K. Wetherell told reporters that he was working with Florida president Bernie Machen on an eight-team playoff proposal to present to the NCAA, but both men have since said that no such proposal is in the works. "President Wetherell and I have discussed the general concept of an alternative to the BCS system," Machen says, "but there have been no serious discussions nor are there any plans in place to overhaul the BCS."

Griping about the BCS has become as much a part of college football's culture as marching bands and tailgating, and supporters of the system seem immune to the constant calls for a playoff from fans and media, or even coaches and athletic directors. "The BCS this year has helped make a great regular season of college football," Slive says. "Attendance is up, ratings are up, interest is up."

Frustration is also up among those who want to see a champion emerge from surviving a gantlet of the top contenders, as in every other sport. "Looking at USC on paper, there's no way anyone would expect us to beat them," Cowan, UCLA's quarterback, said after the Bruins' upset. "But we just wanted to get on the field with them and see what happened. That's why they play the games." In the end, that's what the cluster of teams at the top of the BCS standings deserves. Give them a real postseason. Just let them play the games.

#17838 - 01/09/07 06:10 PM Re: Extremely long, but... [Re: c_dawg]
quinman Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: in the Mountains
Bottom line!!

The Sooners were bigger, stronger, faster and more experienced than BSU.

But.......the Broncos defense held both of their running backs under 100 yards(Peterson held to 77), tipped balls at the line of scrimmage( at least one caused an int), pressured the QB, caused fumbles and made three interceptions.

The Offense had a running back with a 100 yards(almost 4.5 yards per carry), three receivers with over 70 yards and a touchdown each, the offensive line made the blocks and kept pressure of the QB and they kept the defense off guard.

BSU outplayed Oklahoma and that's why they won. Period!

All smiles here in Boise, Idaho.

#17839 - 01/09/07 06:59 PM Re: Extremely long, but... [Re: quinman]
holidaysmore Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Congras Boise fans. I am truly happy for you and the Fiesta Bowl 07 will go down as one of the better bowl games in recent memory but dont wanna hear from one fan, coach or player that they deserved to play for the national championship. please dont tarnish your wonderful victory by being that dumb.

#17840 - 01/10/07 10:39 AM Re: Extremely long, but... [Re: holidaysmore]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

damn that was well said. and funny!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview