Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17791 - 01/02/07 10:59 AM well, boise put on the most entertaining...
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
football exhibition i've ever seen in all my days. and doing it to the gooners made it all the better. bobby's reaction at the end was perfect = "no way we win this frickin' thing."

and how about coach breaking the record with the absolute antithesis of bob knight basketball taking the last (missing) shot? perfect juxtaposition - made in basketball heaven.

now what will michigan complain about?

and its really too bad florida doesn't have a strong-armed qb to take ohio state down.

but i'll be watching knight v. huggs at 'the fred' that night on 'big monday,' so who cares?

#17792 - 01/02/07 11:03 AM Re: well, boise put on the most entertaining... [Re: tmcats]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
gotta showcase 2 weak teams on 'little monday' when the national championship game is on.

i guess you missed USC/Texas last year? now that was the most entertaining game i have ever seen. the thing about Boise is...while it's fun to watch...it's this bush-league MAC/WAC type of trick plays and baloney that is a novelty and a gimmick, but if they played in the Big12 they would have gone 7-5 at best. OU was pretty weak this season after losing Bomar and i enjoyed taking my Boise +7.5 to the bank. that was an easy call.

#17793 - 01/02/07 11:11 AM Re: well, boise put on the most entertaining... [Re: tmcats]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: South of Paris
Let's not get too carried away here. Boise has a spunky team, they have style, and they got some very nice breaks that allowed them to carry the game into OT.

Ohio State would probably beat them by 20--or 30.

#17794 - 01/02/07 11:20 AM football as we knew it... [Re: tubby]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

may be changing. the wide-open offensive show, led by innovative coaching may be taking some of the 5* recruits' glory.

and altho i loved the texas/sc game last year, it did not have the flare or romance of david v. goliath.

for my money the best game ever played was '66 nd v. michigan state. #1 v. #2. ended in a tie. but the irish went on the national c'ship beating usc the next week.

coley obrien came off the bench to lead the irish and went through life making his living on the banquet circuit telling that story.

jim lynch, alan page, terry hanratty, nick eddy, bob kuechenberg, ara, duffy, bubba smith, gene washington, george webster, jimmy raye (remember chiefs' fan?) - my god, that game was awesome even on the black&white philco.

#17795 - 01/02/07 12:03 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: tmcats]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

I enjoyed the hell out of the last 30 minutes of that game last night.

But be honest. So many people want to put the "genius" crown on the Boise coach for pulling that thing out.

Trouble is, he's one overthrown halfback option pass away from being called an idiot. People loved what he did because they perceived Boise State as being the true underdog and Oklahoma as being the steroid-riddled goliath thugs.

The talent on the field was pretty equal last night, as far as I could see. Boise State made the plays and executed the trickery well. This doesn't change anything college football wise.

One chest-thumping player was screaming "we shocked the world tonight" following the game. Not because Boise won. They may have thrilled us, but they didn't shock the world. Please.

#17796 - 01/02/07 12:27 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: chiknbut]
Kirk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Austin
Peterson deserves the "genius" crown, whatever that is.

OU had the bigger, stronger (though not always faster) players. BSU's trick plays worked because they were genuinely surprising -- most of their plays being just good solid football.

All of it was executed with precision, which also bespeaks of great coaching from the whole staff.

As for being one play away from a different result, of course that is often the case, often the difference between win and lose. So what. If, another play, the BSU QB doesn't throw a zany sideline pass into OU's arms, BSU avoids OT. And so on.

If KU had evidenced half that much flair and precision this season, it would have been us, and not NU, in the Cotton Bowl.

#17797 - 01/02/07 01:47 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: Kirk]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

So what. If, another play, the BSU QB doesn't throw a zany sideline pass into OU's arms, BSU avoids OT. And so on.

Couldn't the same thing be said of P.Thompson's three interceptions? I mean, the kid threw those right to Boise players and hadn't thrown the ball that poorly all year long...

Boise State's signature wins (besides the trickery- and turnover-laced affair last night) were against Oregon State (at home) and Utah. Gimme a break. They don't sniff the top-20 if they play in any one of the BCS conferences.

#17798 - 01/02/07 01:51 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: jayhawk154]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
it irritates the shizzle out of me when people reduce the entire outcome of a game to one play. "had he not thrown the pick, there would have been no OT!" yeah, and had the RB scored a touchdown everytime he touched the ball they would have scored 123 points. these are the breaks of the game, whether they happen early, late, in the middle, frequently, rarely....games are 60 minutes, and no one play is solely responsible for the game's outcome. it's like the guys that say KU was 2 passes away from going 8-4. they were 2 games away from going 8-4, not 2 dropped passes.

#17799 - 01/02/07 03:29 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: jayhawk154]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
You folks can analyze that game until the cows come home. But the bottom line is, that was one of the most fun second halfs in a very long time. Props to both Oklahoma and Boise. Oklahoma snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. And Boise snatched both defeat and victory from the jaws of victory and defeat.

No game this bowl season did/will top that game.

#17800 - 01/02/07 03:38 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: MICHHAWK]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Agreed...great game!

Boise State...not great team, though. Good team, pulled out all the stops to win their biggest game.

#17801 - 01/02/07 03:49 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: jayhawk154]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
Quote:

So what. If, another play, the BSU QB doesn't throw a zany sideline pass into OU's arms, BSU avoids OT. And so on.

Couldn't the same thing be said of P.Thompson's three interceptions? I mean, the kid threw those right to Boise players and hadn't thrown the ball that poorly all year long...

Boise State's signature wins (besides the trickery- and turnover-laced affair last night) were against Oregon State (at home) and Utah. Gimme a break. They don't sniff the top-20 if they play in any one of the BCS conferences.

This is why you can't figure out college Football. Boise State beat Oregon State 42-14. Oregon State beat USC 33-31.

If you were from China and looked at that you might concur BSU is 30 points better than USC.

#17802 - 01/02/07 03:50 PM no one said... [Re: jayhawk154]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

anything different than that. is your observation suppose to be meaningful, 154? if so, start over...

Quote:

Agreed...great game!

Boise State...not great team, though. Good team, pulled out all the stops to win their biggest game.

#17803 - 01/02/07 03:54 PM Re: no one said... [Re: tmcats]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

MICH responded to my point and I responded to his...follow along, timmy.

My observation is that it was a great game, but any talk of Boise State being more deserving than a 2nd-tier bowl team is ridiculous.

#17804 - 01/02/07 04:02 PM Re: football as we knew it... [Re: kuking123]
shades Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: South of Paris
Quote:

This is why you can't figure out college Football. Boise State beat Oregon State 42-14. Oregon State beat USC 33-31.

If you were from China and looked at that you might concur BSU is 30 points better than USC.

Well, then, let's get the ESPN experts to anoint Boise as the greatest of all time, just as they did last year with USC until the Trojans met Mr. Vince Young in the Rose Bowl.

#17805 - 01/02/07 04:03 PM Re: no one said... [Re: tmcats]
grape Offline
Dead Cat in the Middle of the Road

Quote:

anything different than that. is your observation suppose to be meaningful, 154? if so, start over...

I've yet to see a meaningful observation by jayhack154.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview