Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17757 - 01/02/07 10:19 AM Topic of conversation
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
Notice I said Topic of conversation, not debate.

Do we really think Russell is the 'glue' of this team and the leader. Please do not take this the wrong way, this is no disrespect to Russell at all.

Or is it Mario? I don't think anybody has ever stated that Mario could really be the leader. Not just in terms of vocal leadership but by his play. What do you think?

#17758 - 01/02/07 10:28 AM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Hawkstars39]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Russell - current floor leader
Mario - learning to lead and learning he needs to take up the scoring leadership role
Sherron - future floor leader who's still learning

Julian - wants to lead, but team resists until he's more consistent and plays to his own potential every time out.

#17759 - 01/02/07 10:30 AM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Hawkstars39]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
Mario is the leader. Has assumed the role this season. Robinson is a nice kid, plays well at times, but in 2 years he will never be mentioned again.

#17760 - 01/02/07 10:33 AM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: jayhawk154]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
Quote:

Mario - learning to lead and learning he needs to take up the scoring leadership role

Julian - wants to lead, but team resists until he's more consistent and plays to his own potential every time out.

Rush - Sitting back and letting others take the lead. Why?

#17761 - 01/02/07 10:38 AM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: kuking123]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

He's a great 2nd or 3rd scoring option and one of our two jack-of-all-trade players, but he's not the leader. It's not in his makeup and he'll thrive once that spotlight lands somewhere else.

#17762 - 01/02/07 10:39 AM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: jayhawk154]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

I don't think it's a secret floor strategy that Self plays three, he hopes, interchangable guards. He inherently thinks no one should be crowned "sole leader". That fiction is something Dukie or Keegan invents to sell TV or newspapers.

#17763 - 01/02/07 10:44 AM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: SFBayhawk]
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

I agree, there shouldn't be a sole leader. But, I mean, the guy who can say, we're down 8, 4 minutes to go, jump on back and lets roll.

This guy has to be able to score, dish the ball, play with emotion, play crazy defense, etc.

I think its Mario.

Russell does bring certain aspects, as does Rush, Julian, Sherron, etc. So to say Russell is the 'glue' of this team, I don't think he is anymore. That was last year. Again, I am not taking anything away from Russell at all, he does have a role as well. But, he is not the 'glue of this team' anymore.

#17764 - 01/02/07 12:11 PM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Hawkstars39]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Mario= "go-to".
RR is the guy that sets things up to get it there.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#17765 - 01/02/07 12:18 PM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: appyhawk]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Just look to the Rhode Island game if you dont understand what Russ brings.

1st half - Russ playing - RI scores 22 points
2nd half - Russ sitting - RI scores 47 points

I love both guys, and a nice combination is the best answer to getting the W's.

#17766 - 01/02/07 12:54 PM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Hawklin]
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

Hawklin: I do agree with you. Those numbers are very important to consider. I'm not saying at all Russell should not start and shouldn't be in the game.

Basically, I am just saying that Russell isn't the "glue" of the team anymore. If anyone was labeled that, it would be Mario. When it comes to Russell or Sherron starting, right now definately Russell, because of his defense. I think it is very important to start the game with the intensity defensively to set the tone. Throughout the game, this could change, depending on how Sherron is playing.

If there is really 1 player that we need in the game in crucial situations, it would be Mario. That's why I say that he is "glue" of this team. Russell has another role, play tough defense and run the offense. I just think that it is important to always look at this years team and not what Russell did and was last year because it is a different team. I think a lot of people look at it this way.
Just my thoughts.

Oh, this post was not directed toward you at all, but everyone.

#17767 - 01/02/07 01:03 PM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Hawkstars39]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

And I agree. Mario not only gets it done on both ends, he seems to be doing it without alot of thought or effort. Coach said on his show that Mario has picked up where he left off at the end of Big 12 play last season. Lets hope the rest of the guys get that groove back. Mario is definitly leading by example right now.

#17768 - 01/02/07 02:16 PM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Hawklin]
Hawks_And_Cats Offline
Suck it, Geezer

Loc: The Coolest Place on Earth
Mario has got to have the quickest hands I have ever seen. Not only does he get a lot of steals, but how many other times do you see him knock it out of bounds. The guy is a phenomenal defender.

And the "glue" of the team has nothing to do with being the go to guy or the best scorer, rebounder, etc. It's the floor leader that keeps the team together and keeps them in sync. He's the guy that huddles the team up for every free throw and pumps the guy up who misses a few shot and starts to bow his head. I don't see a single guy on the team that is doing that right now, so no one can actually be called the glue.

On a side note, the boys are finally starting to see that the crowd in AFH can play a significant role. Mario has been throwing his hands up quite a bit that last couple games to get us into it. That is something I didn't see at all at the beginning of this season.

#17769 - 01/02/07 05:03 PM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Hawks_And_Cats]
Hawkstars39 Offline
John Brown

Quote:

On a side note, the boys are finally starting to see that the crowd in AFH can play a significant role. Mario has been throwing his hands up quite a bit that last couple games to get us into it. That is something I didn't see at all at the beginning of this season.

Love the emotion Mario brings. I do agree the players need to understand that they have the greatest fans in the world and the fans can make Allen Fieldhouse absolutely shake if the players want us to. There is nothing like it when that place is rockin'.

#17770 - 01/02/07 08:09 PM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Hawkstars39]
Brett Offline
Phog Fanatic

ey man notin like a rockin afh

#17771 - 01/02/07 10:31 PM Re: Topic of conversation [Re: Brett]
discohawk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: OKC
I think Russell is still the glue. He's the quarterback- basically the guy who makes the right decisions, doesn't turn the ball over, gets everyone involved, and plays D that's stingy as heck. The only knock against him has been his outside shooting accuracy, and not taking wide open outside shots. RR is a fighter and has the heart of a pit bull, and that's what makes him the "glue guy." He is the guy everyone wants on their side when going to battle.

Preview