Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17707 - 01/02/07 09:29 AM 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice
JHWKNY Offline
Baby Jay

Hello all.

I'm new to the board, and was hoping that some of you might be able to help me out.

I'll be making my first trip to Kansas for the Texas game on Saturday, March 3rd. Outstanding Christmas present from my wife. Anyhow, the Friday night before is my birthday and I'm interested in celebrating out on the town.
Having never been to Lawrence, I have no idea where to go.

Any recommendations for some bars that I should hit would be greatly appreciated. Also, any other things that you think I should do while in town for a couple days...things that would add to the whole experience...please pass them along.

Thanks in advance!

JHWKNY

#17708 - 01/02/07 09:55 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: JHWKNY]
jayhawk96 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Denver
Hey there. Sounds like a fun first trip to Kansas!

I don't make it back often, but when I do, I have to hit my favorite spots(I'm sure other posters will have their favorites as well):

Quinton's has great sandwiches
http://www.baranddeli.com/

Free State Brewing Co. for good beer and atmosphere
http://www.freestatebrewing.com/

Both are located on the north end of Mass. Street.
I'd suggest making a trip up and down Mass Street. It's the heart of Lawrence (well, aside from AFH, ha ha).

Assuming the weather cooperates, I'd also suggest a walk along Jayhawk Blvd on campus.

Hope you have a great time.

#17709 - 01/02/07 02:50 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: jayhawk96]
DenverJHawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Denver, CO
What a gift from your wife! Now here is mine. Make sure you vosit each of these in no particular order.
GSP
Corbin
Pi Phi House
Gamma Phi House
Kappa is always reliable
the Wheel b/c its the wheel
Pizza shuttle at 2am
and last but not least, make sure you tap one of those hot coeds before you leave. Oops This is the last suggestion. Make sure you drive the campus and Naismith drive

#17710 - 01/02/07 02:50 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: jayhawk96]
mushhawk Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: State, Country
welcome to the boards jhwkny!
yeah, you'll love lawrence. quinton's and freestate would be my 1st stops too. at quinton's: get the T.A.C. 1/2 sandwich combo, with bacon and salsa added. get the bowl of potato/bacon soup and the jalapeno chips with it. take a walk downtown after dinner as well.
from 6th to 11th on massachussetts is a nice walk. there are a lot of cool shops/restaurants downtown.
stop in the jayhawker bar at the eldridge hotel and have a drink. the hotel was burnt down in quantril's raid and rebuilt. it was also renovated 2 years ago. it's on 7th and mass. tellers is a cool place for a drink it's a restaurant/bar. it used to be a bank. the restrooms are actually the old vaults.
james naismith is buried in lawrence. that's a cool stop for any bball fan. from downtown, go south on mass street to 19th. go east on 19th, past haskell street. keep going until you see a cemetery on your right. it's right before you hit harper street. there's a big memorial for naismith. i think phog allen is burried at the cemetery across the street to the north.
if you're bored during the day, go see a movie at liberty hall downtown on 7th and mass.

#17711 - 01/02/07 02:55 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: JHWKNY]
Kirk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Austin
A Texan will appreciate the local variations on lowdown, dirty Mexican food available in North Lawrence -- if El Matador is still there, and La Tropicana. On N. Locust, I believe.

It's been years. But El Matador was always my favorite eatery in town.

Edited by Kirk (01/02/07 02:56 PM)

#17712 - 01/02/07 03:02 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: JHWKNY]
neilster Offline
John Brown

Loc: Overland Park KS
Everybody always says go to Free State. If you do, buy one of their standard T-shirts... you will be recognized by KU fans wherever you go in the county, or out of the country.

That having been said, while I think their shirts are iconic, I've said before that their food isn't all that amazing. (Now a bunch of people will attack me for saying that, but it's just my opinion.)

Have fun!

#17713 - 01/02/07 03:05 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: neilster]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

True, the food isn't the absolute best, but for a brewery, it's pretty darn good food. The two don't always go hand in hand. The beers are outstanding.

And as always, it's a treat to check out the Jayhawk Motel. I'm not saying you want to stay there, but it's always a treat to check it out. I hear they have color TVs now!

#17714 - 01/02/07 03:08 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: mushhawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Free State Brewery is an essential, particularly if you're of post-grad age. You're not going to see coeds peeing in the men's room sink here (see the Wheel for that), but you will get a good feel for Lawrence as a community....and the beer is fantastic. Try going on Monday night or stopping in after a game. This place is truly in the heart of Lawrence, and not just geographically.

I'd concur with the Liberty Hall recommendation. A great place to spend a couple of hours, if you like art house films (which I do).

Spend plenty of time on Mass Streets in the shops. Walk as much as you can. Walking a new city gives you a better feel for the pulse of the town. If you feel up to it, walk up the hill to campus and spend some time up there.

Stay away from places the locals don't eat in. We have our reasons. Unwitting tourists keep places like Buffalo Bob's open. If you really want barbecue, go to Kansas City or try Vermont Street downtown. I cannot emphasize this enough. No one from Lawrence eats at Buffalo Bob's.....and yet every time I meet someone who is new to town they ask me directions to Buffalo Bob's. WHY?

BTW, the cemeteries aren't on 19th. Those directions will take you to the fairgrounds and the Humane Society. I think it's 15th out of town that takes you by the cemeteries.

Edited by Morgansraider (01/02/07 03:15 PM)

#17715 - 01/02/07 03:09 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: JHWKNY]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
You should spend some time walking around campus. The football stadium, the Camponile, the bookstore, see if you can get inside AFH.

The Bottleneck is great for live music. Johnny's is a burger and beer joint that I have always dug.

#17716 - 01/02/07 03:10 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: chiknbut]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
Just remember kiddies - This man is from New York not Baghdad. The best suggestion is for him to walk around campus and enjoy it's beauty. Go to a "college" bar and take in the atmosphere. Then go to the Mecca for College Basketball and enjoy the game.

#17717 - 01/02/07 04:26 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: kuking123]
N00b Offline
Big Dipper

Grab a couple of 40s and drive down 15th st. Wave to Naismiths grave as you drive by and go about another 3 or 4 miles. Shortly after the road turns to gravel stop and enjoy the nice "country scenery"

#17718 - 01/02/07 06:27 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: JHWKNY]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

So why do you call yourself a Jayhawk, and you've never been to Lawrence?

You're confused.

But there are lots of those around here.

#17719 - 01/02/07 06:35 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: SFBayhawk]
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: az
I wuz wondering the same thing???

#17720 - 01/02/07 06:40 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: imzcount]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
apparently you can only be a fan of those things that you own or have experienced personally now? what does it really mean to be a "Jayhawk", you two? I wouldn't think being born in Kansas or even in Lawrence bequeaths that distinction? I mean, it doesn't say "Jayhawk" on my birth certificate. Attending school on the Hill? Well, I guess you could make that argument, but are you really a "Jayhawk" by grace of a tuition bill? Not so sure.

Bay's attempts at being wiser and brighter than the rest of us merely provide further evidence that he was abused in some way by something at some point in his life.

#17721 - 01/02/07 06:54 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: tubby]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Really. Don't be a butthole, SFB. As that Jewish guy I don't usually agree with once said, "he that is not against us, is with us"...or something like that.

Edited by Morgansraider (01/02/07 07:24 PM)

#17722 - 01/02/07 07:39 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
discohawk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: OKC
JHWKNY, if you don't make it to Freestate, you gotta try my favorite beer: the Boulavard Pale Ale. God I love that beer! Anyway, try checking out lawrence.com before you leave and it'll have a list of all the events going on. There are some pretty cool museaums on campus. I heard there's a new hookah lounge downtown that's worth checking out. Depending on if your wife will be with you or not, I strongly believe Lawrence's best kept secret are it's strip clubs. They are friggin awesome. At any rate, if the weather is nice, you'll have a great time in L-town.

#17723 - 01/02/07 10:07 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: discohawk]
N00b Offline
Big Dipper

my sister works at the dirty bird. she is nice

#17724 - 01/02/07 10:08 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: N00b]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

that is just wrong. on 2 levels.

but if we say "hey your brother is one of our internet message board buddies", does that come with any benefits?

#17725 - 01/02/07 10:18 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: tubby]
N00b Offline
Big Dipper

I will give her too you 1/2 price

#17726 - 01/03/07 07:06 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: N00b]
JHWKNY Offline
Baby Jay

Thanks to the many that replied with great suggestions.
I'll be sure to hit Free State, stroll around town and campus, and try and take in all your suggestions. I can't tell you how excited I am about the trip.

I really appreciate everyone responding so quickly!
Thanks again.

#17727 - 01/03/07 09:45 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
jayhawk96 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Denver
Quote:

apparently you can only be a fan of those things that you own or have experienced personally now? what does it really mean to be a "Jayhawk", you two? I wouldn't think being born in Kansas or even in Lawrence bequeaths that distinction? I mean, it doesn't say "Jayhawk" on my birth certificate. Attending school on the Hill? Well, I guess you could make that argument, but are you really a "Jayhawk" by grace of a tuition bill? Not so sure.

I'm going to have to agree here. I'd say you're a 'fan' if you're willing to travel to Kansas, for your first time no less, during the winter. That shows dedication.

#17728 - 01/04/07 07:26 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: jayhawk96]
hawkfan9111 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: The Home Of The HAWKS!!!
Take the family to the Outhouse it's just off highway 10 and there's load's of entertainment.

#17729 - 01/04/07 08:01 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: hawkfan9111]
jkjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Geez, don't listen to half these people, man.

Mich and KUKing have the best suggestion... visit campus. Definitely get a Johnny's burger. They're worth writing home about. The Natural History Museum on campus is really cool if you can stand being in a building enscribed with the words of Darwin... I know some who can't.

Eat at the Free State if you like beer. That is the place that everyone talks about, so if you want to learn about Lawrence, you kinda have to eat there. This place is not "Lawrence culture in a bottle" though.

If your wife likes to shop, she'll like downtown.

If you're here on a Sunday, Maceli's is a great place for breakfast. Any other day, downtown is not the best place to try to find breakfast. Your choice is Milton's, and that's everyone's choice.

Don't waste your meals on bbq. We don't have the greatest. Try India Palace or Zen Zero if you like eastern foods (both downtown). Mongolian BBQ is great, but not as experience-worthy as these others. Aladdin Cafe is my choice for middle eastern food. It's one of my favorite spots.

It's a pretty small town, after all.

#17730 - 01/04/07 09:32 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: jkjhawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

I've never been particularly blown away by the fabled Johnny's burger. Jefferson's is better, and even they aren't anything to write home about. Really, Johnny's is theplace in Lawrence whose appeal utterly escapes me. To go over the river, it had better be for nude girls or superior food. Every time I've been there it's been wall-to-wall with frat boy types...I can definitely take a pass. I didn't really care for this bar as an undergrad, and I like it even less now.

Edited by Morgansraider (01/04/07 09:36 AM)

#17731 - 01/04/07 10:38 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
8conesandadisc Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Denver, CO
Stroll Mass Street for sure. Take in a coffee and a beer. Sure, Free State is okay, but it can get crowded. Eat at Zen Zero, Vermont Street BBQ (which ironically has moved to Mass street), or Molly McGees to take is some local flavor. Be sure and get to the game 90 minutes early so you can fully take in Allen Fieldhouse. It is like a museum of college basketball greatness. Also can you mail me a chocolate shake from Bucky's while you are there?
Thanks.

#17732 - 01/04/07 10:47 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
blondie Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Enemy Territory
This thread has been a great read! North Lawrence Mexicana, Natural History Museum, local cemeteries, and Hooker Bars!

Just proves that "recommending" places to a stranger is pretty difficult!

Seriously, the campus, the campanile, and the sports "museum" in the fieldhouse are musts, with something on Massachusetts Street a close second.

And just in case the Natural History Museum sounds interesting (Is Custer's horse still there?) try the Pioneer Cemetery on the West Campus: Victims of Quantrill's raid, a whole company of Civil War soldiers from Wisconsin.

As for those Hooker Bars, you're on your own!

#17733 - 01/04/07 10:55 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: JHWKNY]
Kirk Offline
Phog Fanatic

http://www.lawrence.com/places/el_matador_cafe/

Go here; it's extremely good and friendly, and NOT generic.

The Freestate is good for a beer or two -- the standard microbrewery experience. Johnny's is good for a fight if you're into that.

I used to love The Crossing, which was a woody, hippie/alternative bar on the north end of campus -- but it probably went generic long ago.

#17734 - 01/04/07 10:57 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Kirk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

i am thrilled that there are a few that are a bit more objective when it comes to Free State. the place is insanely overrated, as Kirk says...the standard microbrewey experience.

#17735 - 01/04/07 10:57 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Kirk]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

I forgot to mention, go to the Towers and stalk athletes. You might even get a chance to share a doobie with one or two.

#17736 - 01/04/07 10:58 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Kirk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

.....it didn't go generic, but the forces of mediocrity are striking back....there are plans to tear it down for some condos.

#17737 - 01/04/07 11:23 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Loc: Got a gal in Kalamazoo
These guys haven't mentioned any of the really great spots. Don't miss Ichabod's (the little white schoolhouse on the edge of town), the Red Lion, the Pentimento, Jennings' Daylight Donuts, the Phillips 66 on 10th & New Hampshire, the Cornucopia, Pendragon, Rick's Bike Shop, Romero's Liquor Store on Vermont, the Campus Hideaway, the Beer Garden, J. Hood Used Books (w/ the Uptown Time clock on the wall), the Vespers service at Hoch Auditorium, the abandoned fraternity house on 9th Street Hill...

Oh, wait a minute--it's not 1980 anymore, is it?

Never mind....

#17738 - 01/04/07 11:27 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
Kirk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Lawrence is a beautiful town, and KU is a true acropolis. What sets it apart from other college towns is its gorgeous campus and unique sports venues: the stadium and of course Allen. And yes, downtown is lovely (tree-lined, clean, and cute) if you're into that.

The town's beer joints are the usual stuff, and I'm afraid that for the most part the Larryville restaurants have always been lame.

#17739 - 01/04/07 11:27 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: horton_hombre]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

These guys haven't mentioned any of the really great spots. Don't miss .......................... the Red Lion......the Uptown Time clock on the wall)........ ................................................................................

Edited for 2007

#17740 - 01/04/07 11:29 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

the Red LYON is tubby's usual drinking hole.

#17741 - 01/04/07 11:40 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: tubby]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Quote:

the Red LYON is tubby's usual drinking hole.

I may be wrong, but I think there was an earlier "Red Lion." (I was never there, but heard tell of it from a line cook I worked w/ at Tin Pan Alley.) The owner was a cranky old rascal named Bill who slung hash w/ his wife. The safest bet was, when your turn in line came and he growled, "Whaddaya want?" to promptly reply, "The special, Bill." If you hesitated, stammered, or showed any indecision, he would throw you out on your ear. I always wanted to go there, but I think it was kind of an underground place that you had to wangle an invite to--strangers weren't always welcome, and it helped to go with a regular. Can anyone shed more light on this murky establishment?

#17742 - 01/04/07 11:47 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: horton_hombre]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Red Lyon used to be a locals / regulars bar. The owner would give attitude if a bunch of obnoxious students would show up looking to disrupt the atmosphere. The bar got taken over by said students/fratties around the 2000 mark, and now there sits douches like the above quoted board member.

#17743 - 01/04/07 01:42 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Hawklin]
N00b Offline
Big Dipper

The campus hideaway has reopened as a korean restaurant with the same name. I've heard the food is good.

Joe's Bakery has opened back up and the glazed donuts are still excellent. Wheatfields is a good place downtown to grab lunch and they make some of best bread I've ever had. Papa Keno's is a good place to grab a slice of pizza.

The food at the eldridge is terrible and service is even worse. The same goes for tellers.

Set em up jacks is a great place to watch big monday (1/2 price burgers, $2.50 big beers and a 22 foot TV). I think it is one of the best sports bars in town. Molly McGees is consistently mediocre and were recently up for sale.

Free State makes some great beer and they use wheatfields bread. I'd suggest getting soup and a sandwich, but not one of their meals and definitely don't get one of the specials.

I eluded to the Outhouse in an earlier post, but I don't think anyone picked up on it. The last time I went there it was BYOB, but that was a while back so it might have changed by now.

#17744 - 01/04/07 01:48 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: N00b]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Now I just have to ask this out of being a curious old fart, but whatever happen to the Stables and the Sanctuary those places were great in their day. I ask this since it was 1985 since I been to Larrytown....

#17745 - 01/04/07 01:57 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: PHOGUSHER]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Sanctuary was great for finding drugs and skanks late night. If you couldn't score any - you could always grab a pizza from the Shuttle.

#17746 - 01/04/07 01:59 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: kuking123]
Original AFH Gangsta

Hmmmm drugs and skanks, I could have shared them with you and the Ban man......

#17747 - 01/04/07 02:05 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: PHOGUSHER]
trojanhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: LA, CA
Quote:

I ask this since it was 1985 since I been to Larrytown....

Someone get this guy a plane ticket!

#17748 - 01/04/07 02:09 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: trojanhawk]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

He might not recognize Lawrence. Campus hasn't changed too much but the town sure has.

#17749 - 01/04/07 02:12 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: PHOGUSHER]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Now I just have to ask this out of being a curious old fart, but whatever happen to the Stables and the Sanctuary those places were great in their day.

I think the Sanctuary's owner, Ace something-or-other, turned them into condos or apts.--or at least that was the plan at one point.

#17750 - 01/04/07 02:19 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: horton_hombre]
trojanhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Campus hasn't changed too much but the town sure has.

It has definitely grown a bit since then.

#17751 - 01/04/07 02:22 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: trojanhawk]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

It went from a quaint mid western college town to a thriving little trendy metropolis. IMO.

#17752 - 01/04/07 02:27 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: kuking123]
Original AFH Gangsta

I guess it time for the PHOGUSHER to return, I have a sister with her family living in Ottawa, but they always come to a real metro area (Atlanta)for the holidays. I might be taking a job with Garmin in Olathe in a few weeks though. We shall see.........

#17753 - 01/04/07 02:34 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: PHOGUSHER]
trojanhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

You need a vacation out of the Southland. A fix of Allen Fieldhouse, Memorial Stadium and Jayhawk Boulevard will feel good.

#17754 - 01/04/07 02:35 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
Some people can't make the trip to Lawrence cuz of gas

#17755 - 01/04/07 03:03 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Ike]
JHWKNY Offline
Baby Jay

Can't tell you all how much I appreciate the advice.
Thanks again.

I'll be sure to let my wife know that the Friday night agenda consists of bad food, strip clubs, micro brews and glazed donuts.

In other words, the ususal.

#17756 - 01/04/07 05:44 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: JHWKNY]
blondie Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Enemy Territory
Quote:

Can't tell you all how much I appreciate the advice.
Thanks again.

I'll be sure to let my wife know that the Friday night agenda consists of bad food, strip clubs, micro brews and glazed donuts.

In other words, the ususal.

In that order? Might try the strip clubs AFTER the brews; the ladies will look much better!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview