Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17737 - 01/04/07 11:23 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Loc: Got a gal in Kalamazoo
These guys haven't mentioned any of the really great spots. Don't miss Ichabod's (the little white schoolhouse on the edge of town), the Red Lion, the Pentimento, Jennings' Daylight Donuts, the Phillips 66 on 10th & New Hampshire, the Cornucopia, Pendragon, Rick's Bike Shop, Romero's Liquor Store on Vermont, the Campus Hideaway, the Beer Garden, J. Hood Used Books (w/ the Uptown Time clock on the wall), the Vespers service at Hoch Auditorium, the abandoned fraternity house on 9th Street Hill...

Oh, wait a minute--it's not 1980 anymore, is it?

Never mind....

#17738 - 01/04/07 11:27 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
Kirk Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Austin
Lawrence is a beautiful town, and KU is a true acropolis. What sets it apart from other college towns is its gorgeous campus and unique sports venues: the stadium and of course Allen. And yes, downtown is lovely (tree-lined, clean, and cute) if you're into that.

The town's beer joints are the usual stuff, and I'm afraid that for the most part the Larryville restaurants have always been lame.

#17739 - 01/04/07 11:27 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: horton_hombre]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

These guys haven't mentioned any of the really great spots. Don't miss .......................... the Red Lion......the Uptown Time clock on the wall)........ ................................................................................

Edited for 2007

#17740 - 01/04/07 11:29 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Morgansraider]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
the Red LYON is tubby's usual drinking hole.

#17741 - 01/04/07 11:40 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: tubby]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Quote:

the Red LYON is tubby's usual drinking hole.

I may be wrong, but I think there was an earlier "Red Lion." (I was never there, but heard tell of it from a line cook I worked w/ at Tin Pan Alley.) The owner was a cranky old rascal named Bill who slung hash w/ his wife. The safest bet was, when your turn in line came and he growled, "Whaddaya want?" to promptly reply, "The special, Bill." If you hesitated, stammered, or showed any indecision, he would throw you out on your ear. I always wanted to go there, but I think it was kind of an underground place that you had to wangle an invite to--strangers weren't always welcome, and it helped to go with a regular. Can anyone shed more light on this murky establishment?

#17742 - 01/04/07 11:47 AM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: horton_hombre]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Red Lyon used to be a locals / regulars bar. The owner would give attitude if a bunch of obnoxious students would show up looking to disrupt the atmosphere. The bar got taken over by said students/fratties around the 2000 mark, and now there sits douches like the above quoted board member.

#17743 - 01/04/07 01:42 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: Hawklin]
N00b Offline
Big Dipper

The campus hideaway has reopened as a korean restaurant with the same name. I've heard the food is good.

Joe's Bakery has opened back up and the glazed donuts are still excellent. Wheatfields is a good place downtown to grab lunch and they make some of best bread I've ever had. Papa Keno's is a good place to grab a slice of pizza.

The food at the eldridge is terrible and service is even worse. The same goes for tellers.

Set em up jacks is a great place to watch big monday (1/2 price burgers, $2.50 big beers and a 22 foot TV). I think it is one of the best sports bars in town. Molly McGees is consistently mediocre and were recently up for sale.

Free State makes some great beer and they use wheatfields bread. I'd suggest getting soup and a sandwich, but not one of their meals and definitely don't get one of the specials.

I eluded to the Outhouse in an earlier post, but I don't think anyone picked up on it. The last time I went there it was BYOB, but that was a while back so it might have changed by now.

#17744 - 01/04/07 01:48 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: N00b]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Now I just have to ask this out of being a curious old fart, but whatever happen to the Stables and the Sanctuary those places were great in their day. I ask this since it was 1985 since I been to Larrytown....

#17745 - 01/04/07 01:57 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: PHOGUSHER]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
Sanctuary was great for finding drugs and skanks late night. If you couldn't score any - you could always grab a pizza from the Shuttle.

#17746 - 01/04/07 01:59 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: kuking123]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Hmmmm drugs and skanks, I could have shared them with you and the Ban man......

#17747 - 01/04/07 02:05 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: PHOGUSHER]
trojanhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: LA, CA
Quote:

I ask this since it was 1985 since I been to Larrytown....

Someone get this guy a plane ticket!

#17748 - 01/04/07 02:09 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: trojanhawk]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

He might not recognize Lawrence. Campus hasn't changed too much but the town sure has.

#17749 - 01/04/07 02:12 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: PHOGUSHER]
horton_hombre Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Now I just have to ask this out of being a curious old fart, but whatever happen to the Stables and the Sanctuary those places were great in their day.

I think the Sanctuary's owner, Ace something-or-other, turned them into condos or apts.--or at least that was the plan at one point.

#17750 - 01/04/07 02:19 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: horton_hombre]
trojanhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: LA, CA
Quote:

Campus hasn't changed too much but the town sure has.

It has definitely grown a bit since then.

#17751 - 01/04/07 02:22 PM Re: 1st trip to lawrence, need some advice [Re: trojanhawk]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

It went from a quaint mid western college town to a thriving little trendy metropolis. IMO.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview