Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17693 - 01/03/07 11:13 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: Ike]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: anywhere there is beer...
Ike....you are adding fuel to the fire. And obviously, that photo does not show the entire turnout....

#17694 - 01/03/07 11:27 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: brando]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
Quote:

tubby...

My point is that the lack of coverage for Women's sports is pathetic. I know the popularity is not there for WBB like there is for mens sports or other women's sports. There was a LJW photographer there yesterday, so I know there was coverage.

Cheers to tubby and thanks for the thread brando. I have complained several times to the LJW about their lack of coverage of BonnieBall.

Progress has been made. Until last season, you had to wait till the next day to even get a BonnieBall score.

I also think football didn't get sufficient coverage until a couple of years ago.

Quality wise, this site--KUSports.com--is the crown jewel of the LJW. It has won multiple awards. The sportswriters are basically just cheerleaders for the men's bb program.

When Bonnie starts winning big in a couple of years, maybe they'll jump on the bandwagon. hawk61 is saving them a nice seat.

#17695 - 01/03/07 11:32 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: jahawker2004]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
bravo, 2004. nicely said.

i say we keep track....today is 6 days in a row there has been an article on bonnie ball. hopefully the coverage continues and possibly expands as success warrants it.

#17696 - 01/03/07 11:49 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Yes, and let me make it clear I'm not dissing Ryan Greene. He does his best and I'm sure personally wants to see BonnieBall take off.

It's the management and the mentality. But a community newpspaper has the responsbility to not wait for the victories and increased home attendance before giving adequate coverage. It should be doing that NOW to help bring about the increased attendance, if only for curiosity of what BonnieBall is and what she's trying to accomplish. And BonnieBall needs a PERMANENT correspondent for more than a year or two.

It's gonna be a long year for BonnieBall. So young and in transition. But in a couple of years, we're gonna see a program rebuilt from the ground up in the face of NCAA loss of scholarships.

That's the big story now. Management should devote a few more column inches. Tubby made some good points about space being given to Coach Self's reaction to things that have nothing to do with KU basketball.

#17697 - 01/04/07 11:43 AM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: jahawker2004]
flange Offline
John Brown

Loc: Folsom, CA
Quote:

Yes, and let me make it clear I'm not dissing Ryan Greene.

I don't think anyone was dissing Ryan Greene. Certainly not Brando. I reread his posts after the "disrespect" claim just to make sure, and I couldn't find it. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen Brando disrespectful towards anyone on this board.

Ryan, if you're still following this thread, this site is one of the best sports news sites I've ever seen, and thankfully it's focused on my Jayhawks. If it wasn't a great site, I wouldn't visit it every day.

The point Brando was making (and I second) is that there is a demand for WBB coverage, and he wants to make sure the LJW knows about it. Hopefully most people (Greene included) didn't feel like Brando's request was disrespectful or unreasonable.

#17698 - 01/04/07 08:02 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: flange]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

I fully agree brando wasn't dissing anyone.

But the tone of the thread is a little harsh. And rightfully so. I just wanted it understood it ain't Greene's fault they don't devote enough column inches to the third biggest revenue producer in the KU Athletics Department.

They must be reading this site. Plenty about BonnieBall this week and Woodling had a good column about the problems with our lack of adequate post play.

Edited by jahawker2004 (01/04/07 09:48 PM)

#17699 - 01/05/07 09:57 AM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: jahawker2004]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Loc: 41 N 87 W
I am going to "dis" right now. Why is the womens roster not available on this site? More proof that the womens team does not exist as far as KUSports.com is concerned.

#17700 - 01/05/07 10:10 AM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: kuking123]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Here you go, brotha...

KU WBB Roster

#17701 - 01/05/07 10:20 AM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: jayhawk154]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Oh yes. I am very familiar with that site. That is where I go if I need any and all information. Thank you.

#17702 - 01/05/07 12:57 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: kuking123]
hawks1111 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: OP,KS
he's right you can't find anything about the players on this site, or seeing game stats

#17703 - 01/05/07 12:57 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: hawks1111]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

www.kuathletics.com isn't too shabby. last time i checked KUSports.com isn't the official site of KU athletics. you'd think the site would have at least the roster or some stats, but oh well. find it elsewhere for now.

#17704 - 01/05/07 04:29 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: hawks1111]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Quote:

he's right you can't find anything about the players on this site, or seeing game stats

You talking about the message board or the LJW?

This is a message board. Not a newspaper sports section. Nobody here is paid to cover KU women's bb.

ANYBODY is free to post all the stats and info they want. Bring it on, please.

I will make a personal effort to acquire stats if it will get more action going on this board. I've got one foot in the grave already according to my doctors, and once I'm given the go-ahead to return to work full-time I'll be spending 9am-8pm trying to hang onto that American Dream. I'd much prefer to simply link to the LJW for this kind of stuff. I think that's what this thread is all about.

You surely aren't bitching because the MESSAGE BOARD ain't doing the newspaper's job, are you?

#17705 - 01/05/07 04:36 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: jahawker2004]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

2004....you and i seem to be among the minority that gets it.

i think they mean the online version of the LJW (KUSports.com) is not comprehensive. Overall KUSports.com is the jackpot for the KU fan, but as I have tried to explain (haven't been successful), the paper version of the paper has more on KU women's bball that does the online version. People here don't understand the difference between the LJW and www.kuathletics.com.

i have a question and then a suggestion:

q- how many people that use this board and KUSports.com are subscribers to the paper version of the LJW?

suggestion- go take a look at the online version of the manhattan mercury, the iowa city press citizen, and the online versions of other similarly sized college towns as lawrence. come back and let us know what you found/think.

#17706 - 01/05/07 05:30 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
kuking123 Offline
Multiple Gutter

Ryan and everyone - I expect nothing from this site other than to use it as an outlet to make an ass of myself. For that alone it deserves credit. What is unfortunate is that if I should want a little information it often is provided in an inconsistent way. I realize those involved are doing this for free or not much money. I appreciate your effort. It may be too time consuming to make everything "perfect" on here. I understand a little bit that it must be a bitch and a half to constantly update everything. It just is a little frustrating when you click on a topic and the information is not available. I like to look up schedules and rosters and the mens basketball roster had last years roster on here at least a couple of weeks in to THIS season. I know it is not the end of the world and I know many who are responsible do their best. At least I think they do. I would offer to help if I had the time and resources. Maybe in the future I will. I have said in the past that we all use this site for free. It would be nice if we the members had something to offer back besides money and our opinions. Such as time or effort to help if needed or wanted.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview