Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17678 - 01/02/07 09:16 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: brando]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
i am just curious, what would you like to see more of? i actually think the LJW does a good job. could they do more? of course they could. yeah, the website isn't updated immediately after games or often for awhile, but i find the print version of the J-dub at least always contains schedules, records, small articles, and statistics. do you subscribe to the print version? i do, but i have often sensed that very few do that particip[ate on these boards. the LJW is a business, and they are about making money. it is a small town paper that cannot finance a slew of sports reporters. will there be a story on women's rowing everyday? of course not. i am pretty sure they have a keen sense of who their audience is, and i think they report as much as they can at the depth their paying subscribers want. again, take a look at other small college town newpapers (online versions). this place is like a veritable cornucopia of information compared to the ames paper, the iowa city paper, the manhattan paper, etc etc etc. the print version is very timely and informative. the LJW is not the sole disseminator of information for KU athletics, not even the primary. i would suggest trying www.kuathletics.com for more comprehensive information.

i am not trying to be a jerk, but i think supplying ryan greene and others specific, constructive feedback....i would assume they would be grateful. i think this place is a jackpot for the KU sports fan.

#17679 - 01/02/07 09:29 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

i just looked at the stories since the end of last season related to women's basketball....7 pages worth. yeah, there are many more on men's bball, but that comes with the territory around here. during the season there is is rarely more than a 2 day stretch that there isn't a story published online on women's bball. and in the print version, there is more on a daily basis. lots of volleyball stories. the other sports, the so-called olympic sports (cross country, track, swimming, rowing, tennis)...there's less coverage, but it's like that everywhere.

again, of course they could do more, but what specifically? i tried to look for an article on last year's clinic; i didn't see one, but admittedly i wasn't looking very thoroughly.

#17680 - 01/02/07 09:34 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: anywhere there is beer...
tubby...

my point is when the WBB team is winning (like last year when they were on a 12 game win streak and beat Texas), there were LIVE game updates on the main page....now there is not...there is ALWAYS coverage for MBB on the front page. Coverage was there for the Men's Holiday basketball clinic...none for the women's.

Yes, I know that there can not be coverage for every sport out there. Even the UDK misses something once in a while but usually they even have some type of blurb the day after. When you have a major D1 sports program, you figure there should be some type of coverage.

Yeah, I know we are not a UConn, Tennesee, or Texas women's type program, but Bonnie was a major hire for KU Women's Basketball. There is good D1 talent on the team.

#17681 - 01/02/07 09:39 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: brando]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

i cannot speak to live updates. sounds like they were riding the wave. who knows. maybe there was a shift in focus. i don't see a lack of content overall, so clearly the resources were redirected. is this right? i don't think it's wrong, again, it's a business. if kuathletics.com started doing that, maybe the gripe would be more legitimate. the print version has content daily.

this seems to be rooted in the fact that you went to the clinic yesterday and then today there was nothing. this is not a time sensitive matter, and as i said, i guarantee you that if the J-dub sent a reporter/photog there, it will make it's way into at least the print version of the paper this week.

i suggest again a smapling of college town newspapers from around the region and country, you will be shocked at how much the JW actually does.

#17682 - 01/02/07 09:48 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
rgreene Offline
Board Owner

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Look at the front page of today's Lawrence Journal-World sports section. Two big photos, right there, smack dab in the middle from yesterday's women's basketball holiday clinic.

#17683 - 01/02/07 09:50 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

No...it comes down to the fact that I have a daughter and I want her to see there is more than just male sports out there. Yes, I take her to MBB games, Football games, Baseball games....but I also take her to WBB games, soccer games (which at KU is a female only sport), softball games. And I am sure there are others out there who feel the same way.

And then there are comments like what you made earlier....wonder who that photographer pissed off to get that assignment that shows the ignorance out there towards female sports. Yeah there are people who do not care for WBB...that is fine. Have you ever been to a game? People actually stay until the end of the game as opposed to leaving with 5 minutes left.

#17684 - 01/02/07 09:51 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: rgreene]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

thanks, ryan.

as i said, if it ain't online, check the print version. but try searching, brando.

#17685 - 01/02/07 09:53 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: brando]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

you still don't understand the difference between KUsports.com and kuathletics.com.

and as far as my joke, you are an idiot trying to make this about gender. on new year's day, i could care less if it was a men's clinic....that ain't a luxurious gig.

go wah-wah some more why don't you.

#17686 - 01/02/07 09:54 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

#17687 - 01/02/07 09:55 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
brando Offline
Max Falkenstein

ok...

I stand corrected and will gladly take a towel for the egg on my face.

I did try searching for something on LJW.com and had no avail. I did not get a chance to go out and get a paper today.

#17688 - 01/03/07 07:00 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: brando]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

as far as worthless articles in the JW, brando, check out today's on Self's reaction to the Fiesta bowl. What's next, Self's reaction to today being the first day for people to pick up their conceal and carry permits?

#17689 - 01/03/07 07:05 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
jensen Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Charleston, SC
Let it go. He already apologized.

#17690 - 01/03/07 07:08 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: jensen]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

and the apology was unnecessary. i wasn't right about anything, he wasn't wrong. i am just pointing out a complete waste of space in today's paper. what the hell is your problem?

#17691 - 01/03/07 08:20 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
jensen Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Charleston, SC
Wouldn't you rather be checking out your home page.....or are you exhausted?

#17692 - 01/03/07 08:37 PM Re: ATTN: Ryan Greene..... [Re: tubby]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
Quote:

Not a large turnout

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview