Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17629 - 01/02/07 01:36 AM Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhouse...
kansasjhawk044 Offline

Loc: Kansas
Even if we build a brand new beautiful arena it'll never be near as popular. It'll become just another court just like all the others that are rebuilding arenas. It'll be like erasing 50+ years of history. I've been to games all across america and nothing compares to Allen. The eerie feel is the most amazing feeling in the world. Sure the people who've had season tickets for the past 20 years would love to tear it down. And get upgraded chair back seats and nicer toilet stalls. But remember what it was like the first time? If it's torn down then no one will ever experience that first time again.

My first time as well as the best moment of my life was one day back in 6th grade. I was there to attend the winter basketball clinic early one morning. We were standing in line to finish registration for about 20 minutes and I was dieing to look around. I wandered out onto the court in a mostly dark Allen Field House on a December morning. The only light there was shining through the windows. I walked out to midcourt and fell to the floor. It was impossible to completely take in. I was laying on a court where championships were earned. Where millions of people had watched their team take the court and put on a show. Right in front of me were the jersey #'s of the games best such as Wilt Chamberlain, Clyde Lovelette, and Danny Manning. Above me were dozens of Big 8 championships, not to mention National Championships. Behind were dozens of names of All-Americans who had graced us with their talents for years and years. I was in the middle of all of this. For that 10 minutes in time I was able to imagine the glory that was Allen Fieldhouse. I was able to feel the glory. I stood up and with the biggest smile on my face and walked off the court listening to my footsteps as I headed back to where my father was waiting to sign me up. Even if I'm 120 years old and lying in a hospital bed I will never ever forget that moment.

This is just my story of Allen Fieldhouse. We all have our own. Dig inside and you'll find yours, that memory that stands out and makes you smile. Without Allen kids and adults alike will never get have their own Allen feeling. Tearing this down would prevent us from taking our children and grandchildren there to experience first hand the pure awesomeness of what being a Jayhawk really is. Tearing the Fieldhouse down would mean taking away the chance for thousands of people to ever get to experience the Phog.

Edited by kansasjhawk044 (01/02/07 02:14 AM)

#17630 - 01/02/07 10:54 AM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: kansasjhawk044]
kansasjhawk044 Offline

Just thought I'd get my opinions on the subject out there, even though no one's really talking about tearing it down anyways.

#17631 - 01/02/07 10:55 AM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: kansasjhawk044]
jayhawk96 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Denver
We've been down this road a # of times recently. Don't take it personally that noone responded. =)

#17632 - 01/02/07 10:56 AM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: kansasjhawk044]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
nice story kid, but no one is responding because pretty much everyone but you knows that this kind of crap apperas about once a week on here. you took the bait. bravo

#17633 - 01/02/07 11:09 AM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhouse... [Re: kansasjhawk044]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
AFH can and will be replaced. When, is anybodies best guess.

#17634 - 01/02/07 11:13 AM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: MICHHAWK]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
deep.

#17635 - 01/02/07 12:32 PM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: tubby]
kansasjhawk044 Offline

yeah I know that it's always on here. I've never voiced an opinion so I thought I'd just get it out there. Just kinda felt like venting it last night. I understand no one responded, which is a good thing, that way we don't have 50 people arguing with what I say.

#17636 - 01/02/07 01:35 PM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: tubby]
Hawk27 Offline
Big Dipper

Quote:

nice story kid,

Kinda ironic you would be saying this...

#17637 - 01/02/07 02:19 PM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: Hawk27]
Brett Offline
Phog Fanatic

y would anybody even think about gettin rid of it in the first place?afh is heaven on earth

#17638 - 01/02/07 02:44 PM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: Brett]
Hawks_And_Cats Offline
Suck it, Geezer

Loc: The Coolest Place on Earth
They say in heaven love comes first...

#17639 - 01/02/07 02:58 PM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhous [Re: Brett]
kansasjhawk044 Offline

Quote:

y would anybody even think about gettin rid of it in the first place?afh is heaven on earth

amen

#17640 - 01/02/07 10:31 PM Re: Here's why we can't get rid of Allen Fieldhouse... [Re: kansasjhawk044]
kjay1955 Offline
Jayhawk since 66

Loc: Dallas, TX
Do what you need to in renovations and upgrades but don't get rid of AFH. In 2050 we can revisit this issue.

Preview