Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1762677 - 10/05/12 11:27 AM Playoffs.
InfiniteJ Offline
Tweaker

Loc: Straight outta Lecompton
Anyone else excited for the playoffs this year? Best time of the year other than March Madness if you ask me. Any predictions for the World Series? I think it would be cool to see some new blood in the WS like Nats vs. O's...

#1762678 - 10/05/12 11:41 AM Re: Playoffs. [Re: InfiniteJ]
tyler Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Lawrence
Detroit vs. San Fran.

Giants in 6.

I also, like the idea of the winner of either wild card game making a deep playoff run. Especially, Texas/Atlanta.

#1762679 - 10/05/12 12:26 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: InfiniteJ]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Of the 4 major sports, I think baseball has the most fun playoffs. For me anyways.

I'm a Tigers fan. I fear that Cabrera's bat is going to go silent coming off the Triple Crown. A jinx of sorts.

#1762680 - 10/05/12 01:31 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: MICHHAWK]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Baseball's playoffs are infuriating. Too many teams. Terrible way of crowning a champion.

#1762681 - 10/05/12 01:41 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: MICHHAWK]
ku_painter Offline
Pixel Gangster

Loc: Rockin a dial-up connection
Quote:

Of the 4 major sports, I think baseball has the most fun playoffs. For me anyways.

I'm a Tigers fan. I fear that Cabrera's bat is going to go silent coming off the Triple Crown. A jinx of sorts.

The baseball fan in me hopes that Cabrera finishes off a special season with an extra special post season run.

#1762682 - 10/05/12 02:15 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: ku_painter]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
Although Miggy had a sensational season, in a way, he backed into the Triple Crown.

Look at all of the players with injuries that in all likelyhood would've won the HR Crown, etc. (Talking about Jose Bautista in this instance).

I'm not taking ANYTHING away from Cabrera, because he's a fantastic player. But this is exactly why we probably won't see another Triple Crown for another 25-30 years.

EVERYTHING has to fall into place for it to happen.

Regarding the playoffs, I think the dual-wild card thing is a joke. 1 game to decide something so meaningful after 162 games? What a joke.

MLB playoffs are always tough to predict. If you want to go with the hot team, how could you go against the A's?

It's all about getting hot at the right time....

I like Washington's offense and bullpen, but without Strasburg I just don't see them having enough firepower to make it to the WS. The Reds are nasty top-to-bottom and I think they may have a slight edge on the Giants. IMO, the Giants don't have the hitting to win it all, but they could definitely beat the Reds if the shaky-Chapman shows up. I think the Wild Card winner of STL/ATL likely takes out Washington, but I'm not sure either can beat the Giants/Reds winner.

In the AL, who friggin' knows. The Yankees don't seem like they've put it all together, yet here they are with home-field. The Rangers however, would be their nightmare matchup. As bad as the Rangers have looked lately, their offense is unmatched. That being said, I think the Orioles take them out tonight.... Detroit will be very tough to beat in a 5-game series when you have Verlander with the ability to pitch 2 of the 5. But, as I mentioned earlier there isn't a team as hot as the A's right now.

With all that said, I'll throw out my predictions:

NL:

Cardinals over Braves

Cardinals 3-1 over Nationals
Red 3-2 over Giants

Reds 4-2 over Cardinals

AL:

Orioles over Rangers

Yankees 3-2 over Orioles
Tigers 3-1 over A's

Tigers 4-2 over Yankees

World Series:

Tigers 4-3 over Reds

#1762683 - 10/05/12 03:01 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: sdoyel]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
Predickshuns:

Wild Card Round:
Orioles over Rangers
Braves over Cardinals

ALDS:
Yankees 3-2 over Orioles
A's 3-1 over Tigers

NLDS:
Braves 3-2 over Nationals
Reds 3-1 over Giants

ALCS:
Yankees 4-2 over A's
Reds 4-2 over Braves

World Series:
Yankees 4-3 over Reds

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!

#1762684 - 10/05/12 03:05 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: tyler]
InfiniteJ Offline
Tweaker

Quote:

Detroit vs. San Fran.

Giants in 6.

I also, like the idea of the winner of either wild card game making a deep playoff run. Especially, Texas/Atlanta.

I'm not a big Atlanta fan (if at all), but I think it would be cool to see Chipper Jones go out in style; he's been probably one of my favorite players for the last decade or so.

#1762685 - 10/05/12 03:12 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: JFish26]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Baseball's playoffs are infuriating. Too many teams. Terrible way of crowning a champion.

Just to clarify, were you in favor of keeping it at 8?

I would prefer that to the new system, unless they changed each wild card game to a 5 game series.

However, I like the idea of 12 teams. I would like to see the a format exactly like the NFL's, except with a 5-5-7-7 series system.

I think 12 is a good number. And certainly that could be argued. I believe that a league should include 30-40% of its teams in the playoffs. 12/30 would mean exactly 40% and that's the model that I like best for baseball.

However, the 1 game playoff is retarded. Go with 8, 10, or (preferably) 12 but don't ever make a 1 game playoff.

#1762686 - 10/05/12 03:14 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: KUSPORTSFAN93]
sdoyel Offline
LIKE A BOSS

Loc: Dallas
At the very least, the WC round should be 2 out of 3. But the issue is with the scheduling. The WS will be played in November! And they will not shorten from 162 games....

I think 4 playoff teams are plenty. Get rid of the 2nd wild card.

#1762687 - 10/05/12 04:01 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: JFish26]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Too many teams?

You must really hate every other major sport then.

#1762688 - 10/05/12 04:18 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: sdoyel]
InfiniteJ Offline
Tweaker

Quote:

At the very least, the WC round should be 2 out of 3. But the issue is with the scheduling. The WS will be played in November! And they will not shorten from 162 games....

I think 4 playoff teams are plenty. Get rid of the 2nd wild card.

I think they added the extra wildcard solely based off the the excitement that was generated at the end of regular season last year with all the close races that went down to the last day and and the one game playoff tie-breaker games.

#1762689 - 10/05/12 04:18 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: christgs80]
KUSPORTSFAN93 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Quote:

Too many teams?

My first thought too. But I imagine Fish probably has more to his argument than just sheer number of teams.

#1762690 - 10/05/12 05:00 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: christgs80]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
Quote:

Quote:

Too many teams?

Baseball is a whole different ball game. Pitchers. Lineups. Lots of randomness.
There's a much greater chance you'll determine the better team in 7 games of basketball and hockey. You can't play 7 games of football, players wouldn't make it. Home and away for soccer.

#1762691 - 10/05/12 05:03 PM Re: Playoffs. [Re: christgs80]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Quote:

Quote:

Too many teams?

I agree, too many teams.
162 game schedule is enough to sort out who deserves to be in the playoffs without this lame wild card system.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Preview