Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16951 - 01/01/07 02:03 PM Perennial Bridesmaid. Maybe. [Re: John_Brown]
77342U Offline
Born to be Wild!

Loc: Headed, for 6th
If he is such an 'impressive' coach, then how could Minnesota be so ignorant, of the fine fish they had hooked.

No, I think not.

Runners to your marks, the Nike 440yd Low Hurdles, start shortly.

Favored: Kansas

Reason: Perennially low expectations. Translation, it doesn't take much to satisfy this crowd.

Note to Self: Remember to post again, about the 'mess' Mason left T.A.

#16952 - 01/01/07 02:06 PM Re: Perennial Bridesmaid. Maybe. [Re: 77342U]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
The U is finally building their own football facility on campus, scheduled to open in 2009. Now...how did they get the backing to build it? Years of average to better-than-average football, including 7 or so bowls under Mason. Did they ever win the Big10? Nope. Bad losses? Yep. But the guy built them into a decent little program and his work culminates in no more UM football in the Metrodome. Now that is a legacy.

The new UM coach will inherit a program in better shape than the one Mase found. The Gophers had 6 consecutive losing seasons before Mason's arrival in 1997. He took a program mired in ineptitude and produced a modicum of success.

The guy only had a 32-48 Big Ten record, though. However, he brought respectability to a downtrodden program, did not tolerate troublemakers and produced a handful of All-America players. Not too bad.

He did all of this while gaining little equity with the public. From the Minneapolis papers: "I think Glen in some ways was misunderstood by the general public," said Tom Moe, Maturi's predecessor as A.D. and a Mason golf partner. "He was a very warm and caring person. I think he was also very sensitive."

But the fans always saw his little smirky smile as smug, and for the most part people didn't like him up there. Whatever program gets this guy will start seeing the wins flow in. He has a great track record of turning losers around.

#16953 - 01/01/07 03:06 PM Re: Barely over 0.500 while cleaning up messes like... [Re: John_Brown]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
Again, JB, Val didn't leave Mason a mess. Gottfried did.

#16954 - 01/01/07 03:10 PM Re: Barely over 0.500 while cleaning up messes lik [Re: Leawood]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Quote:

Val didn't leave Mason a mess. Gottfried did.

Val....4-17-1 at KU. Under his leadership, KU failed to win a Big 8 game in 14 tries, and won only one game against a major college team (Utah State in 1986). Ahh the days of the 70-3 thrashings. Fielding Yost and A.R. Kennedy would turn over in their graves. Gottfried was no different than Fambrough I, Moore, or Fambrough II.

God help the person that buys this....

#16955 - 01/01/07 03:31 PM Re: Barely over 0.500 while cleaning up messes lik [Re: John_Brown]
77342U Offline
Born to be Wild!

Loc: Headed, for 6th
Quote:

Val and Wacker left him is impressive.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Were you guys all raised by Mommies that made sure you let the other kids win, their share of your sporting contests.

Or, have you all forgotten there are no second place conference trophies. Let alone 8th, or 9th.

9 years and getting outcoached by Lord Sni-a-dar is pathetic. Period.

Kissing up a coach who left with a sub 0.500 record, as a miracle worker, just as much so.

Give me a call when you guys decide you are ready to transpose your hero worship onto someone who deserves it.

You'll recognize that individual, he will have a truck following him, in charge of his balls.

#16956 - 01/01/07 03:39 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: Kirk]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
A great recruiter, but not a great coach.... this sounds familiar. :-D

#16957 - 01/01/07 03:54 PM Re: Showing your ignorance of the program Tubby... [Re: tubby]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Your remarks that Gottfried was no different than Moore or Fambrough is the single dumbest thing you have uttered, and you have had far more than your fair share of stupid posts!

One simply cannot compare a coach that was at the time, the Larry Brown of college football, hopping from job to job like a cheap hooker hops from bed to bed; to a coach and man who literally gave the University of Kansas his entire professional life! Gottfried inherited (like Moore) a freaking BOATLOAD of NFL caliber talent, that Fam could not manage to get to perform to their highest potential, but neither could Moore or Gottfried, who can only claim for fame the beating of the Sooner's.....Mike G. parlayed that single victory into a better paying gig at Pitt. Moore? Well the guy simply was an inept FB coach, kinda like Terry Allen.

All in all, Valesente was a far better X's and O's football MAN than Moore or Gottfried who never could get a job at any level following their last stints as head coaches. After KU, Val somehow managed to shove some NFL Championship rings on his fingers as an assistant, Bud Moore proved his business skills by filling his bank account with beer sales.....Fambrough still gives everything he has to his KU family.

Gootfried? The utter trainwreck of what had the honest makings of a honest Big-8 power through three straight classes of almost total JUCO influence makes Mike a total rapist in my mind. He left the barest cupboard that ANY coach, including Mason and Mangino, ever inherited at KU. But he did what Monte Johnson wanted, he did manage to "turn around the Kansas Football program"! He turned Pitt around too....and has been left in the announcers booth ever since, the guy is damaged goods that no one will touch.

As for Mason, I had already grown tired of the man's obsession with the PREVENT defense by the end of the 1992 season....got sicker and sicker of it in 93 & 94....then as was pointed out earlier, Mason let Ruel and Hankwitz pretty well run the show in 95 (during the dark marital times) and we had an offense and a defense. The biggest shame was that when Glen did leave, Freddie handed the keys to Terry Allen instead of Ruel or Hank, if he hadn't, we wouldn't be living through the growing pains of the Buddha and his staff.

RCJH!

#16958 - 01/01/07 04:12 PM Re: Showing your general football ignorance, been. [Re: beenahawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

you are nuts, but i dig that about you. Val a better Xs and Os guy. LMFAO!

Gottfried was no dummy. Get out while your stock is hot.

#16959 - 01/01/07 04:52 PM Re: Showing your general football ignorance, been. [Re: tubby]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Know more football than you ever will Tubby. But since you dont believe me, maybe you'll believe your HERO Gottfried, who told the world when he left, that the program couldn't be in any better hands. That "Bob Valesente is the finest assistant coach I have ever had.... A man long overdue for a shot at a head coaching position..... and a better X's and O's coach than I'll ever be." Must have been true, since Val was the only one of the three who managed to stay in coaching....no college, pro or even HS teams wanted Moore or Mike! And don't try and say it's because they wanted to sell beer or stay in the booth!

Go ahead and worship Mr. WIDE TACKLE SIX!
As for Moore, if you honestly think Bud was a better football coach than Fam, because of a 7-5 "75 season"....you REALLY need to head over to litterbox land, Prince Ron needs your support!

RCJH! Now tell me that Mangino is the savior so I can choke on my leftovers!

#16960 - 01/01/07 04:58 PM Re: Showing your general football ignorance, been. [Re: beenahawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

4-17-1.

what the hell did you expect Gottfried to say to the...uh....world?

"Must have been true, since Val was the only one of the three who managed to stay in coaching"...superb reasoning. bravo!

#16961 - 01/01/07 05:17 PM Re: Showing your TOTAL ignorance, tubby! [Re: tubby]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

4-17-1. Does this record tell you anything about Mike Gottfried?

what the hell did you expect Gottfried to say to the...uh....world? Not much more than that....but you are right, he was a MASTER at PR! Who can forget the "Kansas Air Force"?

"Must have been true, since Val was the only one of the three who managed to stay in coaching"...superb reasoning. bravo!

I humbly accept your kudos! Gottfried has tried to land EVERY job that has come down the pike since his debacle at Pitt...(guess he became dumb all the sudden and stayed as his stock went bear?) at first he was too picky, then he went after anything. Val had NO PROBLEMS landing jobs in the coaching profession, his mistake was latching on to what he THOUGHT was a rising star in the profession. Where in the hell have you been since 1985, Mars? Or were you even born yet?

BTW: You forgot to tell me how great Mangino is!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview