Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16921 - 12/31/06 02:15 PM Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle
gr8one Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Tongie
According to ESPN.com

#16922 - 12/31/06 02:15 PM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: gr8one]
gr8one Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Tongie

#16923 - 12/31/06 02:22 PM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: gr8one]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Karma, it's a bitch.

#16924 - 12/31/06 02:53 PM pathetic... [Re: jayhawk154]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
he did a great job at that non-traditional football dump. unbelievable.

#16925 - 12/31/06 03:52 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tmcats]
georgiahawk Offline
John Brown

He finally gets some alumni support to build a football only facility and this is how they repay him? I agree that he should have done a better job with winning, but Minnesota? He should have gone to UGA in my opinion.

#16926 - 12/31/06 05:43 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: georgiahawk]
prairie_dog Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Shawnee, Kansas
He was a jacka**, a jerk who dumped us and thought he was a big deal when he was here. They were probably glad to get rid of him.

#16927 - 12/31/06 06:12 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: georgiahawk]
RockChalkHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

As an alum of both KU and Minnesota, I feel uniquely qualified to comment on Mason. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. Minnesota, in a truly brainless move, signed him to an extension a year ago. He's going to walk away with millions. As far as "this is how they repay him?" goes, don't forget that when Ohio State fired Cooper, Mason openly campaigned for the job - while still employed by Minnesota. He showed no loyalty to Minnesota - hey, it's business, baby - so why should the school owe him any loyalty?

He has a track record of taking over struggling programs and bringing them to respectability - but no higher. He's had nearly TEN YEARS to build a national contender at Minnesota and despite great recruiting (the one thing he does well - see the number of current NFL players from there) managed to blow key games, year after year after year. The Gophers were permanent residents of the likes of the Music City bowl.

As far as our friend from KState calling Minnesota a "nontraditional football dump" - not so fast. Minnesota has multiple national championships in football, the most recent being 1960. Bobby Bell is among the many All Americans from there. I'm thinking this qualifies as "tradition" - I don't see any national title banners at KState. There is still a strong fan base there, who show up year after year to see games at a terrible facility. Many of the top dollar alums were students there during the glory years and want to see them return.

Regarding Mason taking the UGA job - the largely unknown truth is that he desperately wanted to go there. His "coming back" to KU was a fiction. After Mason's initial press conference at UGA, several top donating alums vehemently objected to the hire and forced the Geogia AD's hand. They didn't want a "Yankee", and an unproven Yankee at that, taking over their program. This information came from a high level KU administrator at that time who reported directly to the Chancellor.

This guy has made a fortune by dint of being a good recruiter and bringing home mostly 500 seasons to programs who are, at first, thrilled to just be competitive again. Anyone who sat through his years at KU knows he's not a good game coach at all - anyone remember Henley running all over Nebraska all day in '93, only to be benched when KU went for 2 and the win? Anyone remember Snyder outcoaching him year after year?

The choke job against TTech was nothing new to Gophers fans who've watched similar leads blown over the years in big games against Purdue, Iowa and Michigan (lots of them in the Dome). His firing came after a hugely disappointing season in which the team was 3-6 before squeaking into the bowl picture. Blowing that game, in such a catastophic fashion, was similar to Grady Little being fired after the Red Sox choked Game 7 v. the Yankees in 2003. The fans simply weren't going to forgive it.

All I know is, after putting up with Mason's false arrogance and underachievement at my schools since 1988, he's out of my life!

#16928 - 12/31/06 06:31 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
1960. That was a while ago. Speaking of which, has KU ever won an NC

#16929 - 12/31/06 06:44 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: Ike]
RockChalkHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

KU's not winning a championship has got nothing to do with my point. My point was that a KState fan was condemning a school with true football tradition, when his school hasn't sniffed a NC.

1960 was a long time ago, granted. But for alums in their 60s and 70s with cash to donate, and great memories of a powerhouse while they were in school, don't tell them there's no tradition at their school.

#16930 - 12/31/06 07:11 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
Sychophant Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Lawrence
great post Rock Chalk. Couldn't agree with you more.

#16931 - 12/31/06 07:13 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
tophawk87 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Dallas, TX
Say what you will about Mase, he's a top coach. He's turned around two programs. He won't have to go begging for a football job. Sure, he has publicly voiced his desire for the Ohio State job, but so have about 100 other coaches. Since he's from Ohio, isn't he?, I don't think trying to earn one of the top 10 jobs in the country is that big of a sin. Heck, he beat Ohio State several times with his Gophers.
PS: That melt down against Tech was ugly though. Sheesh, rush the passer once at least, during Techs 38 point comeback instead of dropping six each and every time. I think Graham Harrell got it figured out, you think? That one bowl loss cost Mase his job?

#16932 - 12/31/06 07:28 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tophawk87]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Mason's best year at KU he essentially turned the program over to Ruhl and Hankwitz. He was too busy handling his divorce to commit the time to football. His major flaw is his acerbic personality. He always saw PR as a pain in the arse. If he wants, he will coach again.

#16933 - 12/31/06 07:43 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tophawk87]
RockChalkHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

I don't know what your defition of a "top coach" is. Bill Snyder, by comparison with Mason, was a "top coach". Bob Stoops. Frank Beamer. Pete Carroll. Urban Meyer. No one in his or her right mind would put Mason in their universe. (Note I'm not even talking about legends like Paterno, Osborne, Bowden, Schembechler, etc.) The crime is that Mason's pay was equivalent to those top coaches.

Nor do I know what you mean by "turned around". "Turning around" a program is what Snyder did. Mason brought two programs from terrible to mediocre and left KU with a losing record overall, including his last miserable season in 1996 when he mailed it in. His record at Minnesota this year with a talented squad was a sterling 6-6 before the bowl game.

As far as campaigning for the Ohio State job, sure, most coaches are looking out for #1. I raised that point only because a previous poster had objected to his firing by saying "this is how they repay him?" But I can tell you that Minnesota fans did not appreciate him campaigning for a job in their conference - very shortly after he'd been given his previous unwarranted contract extension.

Yes, "Mase" will get another job because there are no shortage of desperate schools run by foolish ADs. Hell, the Dodgers were dumb enough to hire Grady Little. Anything's possible for Mason. Let's just hope it isn't in the TV booth.

#16934 - 12/31/06 08:27 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
Quote:

My point was that a KState fan was condemning a school with true football tradition, when his school hasn't sniffed a NC.

i am pretty sure that winning the Big XII and going BCSing is at least "sniffing" a NC.

#16935 - 12/31/06 08:45 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
Kirk Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Austin
No sympathy for Mason here.

But good luck bringing a better coach to Minnesota.

Mason is comparable to Mangino. Both are tough guys -- Mangino is also a good guy -- who utterly lack imagination and creativity.

KU is wise in keeping Mangino. Minnesota might have been equally prudent.

#16936 - 12/31/06 08:48 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tubby]
RockChalkHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Dear Burger King Guy:

Going to one BCS game - prior to which the team's QB and several teammates are caught pulling a train on some skank/"tutor", after which the coach allows the QB to play in the game, thereby incurring national ridicule - and then LOSING the game is NOT "sniffing a national championship".

For example, Virginia Tech and Mike Vick "sniffed" a national championship when they came up just short against FSU in the title game.

Actually, the closest sniff for KSU was, ahem, when they spent a week whining about having to play A&M (Snyder being the lead whiner) before choking a lead away, and then whining about sinking to the Alamo bowl before, yes, losing again.

#16937 - 12/31/06 08:53 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

regardless, i am still pretty sure that winning the Big12 and playing in a BCS bowl is at least "sniffing" a NC.

#16938 - 12/31/06 09:50 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tubby]
TrueBlue Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Lawrence
They will regret this move. Back to the stone ages for sota.

#16939 - 12/31/06 10:00 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: TrueBlue]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Your comment about talent is contrary to all pre-season prognostications. 6-6 is about where they should have finished.

#16940 - 12/31/06 10:26 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tubby]
Hawk1990 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Quote:

regardless, i am still pretty sure that winning the Big12 and playing in a BCS bowl is at least "sniffing" a NC.

I'm with RockChalk on this one. You won the Big 12 and played in a BCS game in a year you lost three regular season games, plus that bowl, so you never had any hope of winning the NC that season. By your terrible definition, all of these schools "sniffed" a NC in the BCS/Bowl Coalition era despite winning their conferences with 3 or more losses:

FSU '05
Pitt '04
KSU '03
FSU '02
LSU '01
Purdue '00
Stanford '99
Syracuse '98
Syracuse '97
Texas '96
Texas Tech '94
Notre Dame '94
USC '94
Tennessee '94
Va Tech '94
Texas '94
UNC '94
Alabama '93
Texas Tech '93
OU '93

There's an awful lot of sniffing going on in your world.

#16941 - 01/01/07 04:13 AM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: gr8one]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
Living up here close to the situation I can tell you that alot of people wanted him gone. BIG MISTAKE. Gofes football has been a joke...until Mase arrived. I am not old enough to really know, but I believe they kept Wacker arround so long b/c he was nice and graduated players. No, Mase did not have the Gofes in the run for the Big 10 title, but they were competetive, a bowl team every year who put a decent amount of players (RB's especially) in the NFL.

That said, I think Mase is a egotistical jerkoff. Minny will be hard pressed to replace him.

#16942 - 01/01/07 08:32 AM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
77342U Offline
Born to be Wild!

Loc: Headed, for 6th
It never ceases to amaze me, how some folks, who couldn't be further from the social circles of these Sports Figers, Minor Celebs, Officials or Offspring of Politicos seem to 'know' the intimate details of their lives.

And the more 'lurid' the details, the more 'intimate' their knowledge.

As if they actually traveled in these circles.

Since they don't, their actual knowledge is obviously limited to hear say or googlists.

Meaning they have no more real knowledge than anyone else about these matters.

Never-the-less...

#16943 - 01/01/07 09:22 AM Re: pathetic... [Re: Kirk]
WayOldHawk Offline
Baby Jay

I'm asking myself why no one here seems worried the goofs would swoop back into Kansas and rob us again. I don't recall the big man's name ever being mentioned as a possible replacement anywhere - anytime. Could that be good or could that be bad?

#16944 - 01/01/07 10:51 AM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Speaking of coaching vacancies, I see that Alabama has dangled 40 million in front of Nick Saban. That's not contract money, that's up front money. His contract would be in the 2.5 milion a year range. ESPN says an announcement is forthcoming in the next day or two.

They don't screw around.

#16945 - 01/01/07 11:48 AM Re: Nope! Pathetic is a way to describe... [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Mason's affinity for the PREVENT defense. You would think that after TWENTY years of blowing leads by rushing 2 or 3 and dropping everyone else back into a loose zone, the guy just MIGHT consider a change in philosophies. Not Bullheaded Glen! And no matter where he ends up (though he is set) he will NOT CHANGE! Personally I've wondered what took the Gophers so damn long in pulling the trigger!

Quote:

he did a great job at that non-traditional football dump. unbelievable.

#16946 - 01/01/07 12:06 PM Re: Nope! Pathetic is a way to describe... [Re: beenahawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

In 21 seasons as a head coach at Kent State, Kansas and Minnesota, he has a record of 123-121-1.

"With no stadium [on campus], we've done a good job and we haven't broken one rule," Mason said. "I've turned around three programs that were losers and made them better."

#16947 - 01/01/07 01:53 PM I have sympathy for Mase. [Re: RockChalkHawk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
I don't know about the Gopher situation, but KU screwed Mase. The guy brought us back from the dead and begged for the facilities to keep up w/ the Big 12 and Freddy told him to kiss his arse. The Stadium improvements GAmeball walked into should've been done 5 years earlier. Mase had some stud recruits lined up to play his kinda smashmouth afore the UGa debacle. Had we had the Stadium improvements, he might of taken us where we want to go.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#16948 - 01/01/07 01:54 PM Re: I have sympathy for Mase. [Re: John_Brown]
77342U Offline
Born to be Wild!

Mason is barely over 0.500 in 21 years of coaching.

Peddle your peaches somewhere else, Mr. Ohio State, Nature says roll the die.

#16949 - 01/01/07 01:55 PM Re: I have sympathy for Mase. [Re: 77342U]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

a .500+ record at 3 stops that were perennial losers. that is pretty impressive.

#16950 - 01/01/07 01:58 PM Barely over 0.500 while cleaning up messes like... [Re: 77342U]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Val and Wacker left him is impressive.

#16951 - 01/01/07 02:03 PM Perennial Bridesmaid. Maybe. [Re: John_Brown]
77342U Offline
Born to be Wild!

If he is such an 'impressive' coach, then how could Minnesota be so ignorant, of the fine fish they had hooked.

No, I think not.

Runners to your marks, the Nike 440yd Low Hurdles, start shortly.

Favored: Kansas

Reason: Perennially low expectations. Translation, it doesn't take much to satisfy this crowd.

Note to Self: Remember to post again, about the 'mess' Mason left T.A.

#16952 - 01/01/07 02:06 PM Re: Perennial Bridesmaid. Maybe. [Re: 77342U]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

The U is finally building their own football facility on campus, scheduled to open in 2009. Now...how did they get the backing to build it? Years of average to better-than-average football, including 7 or so bowls under Mason. Did they ever win the Big10? Nope. Bad losses? Yep. But the guy built them into a decent little program and his work culminates in no more UM football in the Metrodome. Now that is a legacy.

The new UM coach will inherit a program in better shape than the one Mase found. The Gophers had 6 consecutive losing seasons before Mason's arrival in 1997. He took a program mired in ineptitude and produced a modicum of success.

The guy only had a 32-48 Big Ten record, though. However, he brought respectability to a downtrodden program, did not tolerate troublemakers and produced a handful of All-America players. Not too bad.

He did all of this while gaining little equity with the public. From the Minneapolis papers: "I think Glen in some ways was misunderstood by the general public," said Tom Moe, Maturi's predecessor as A.D. and a Mason golf partner. "He was a very warm and caring person. I think he was also very sensitive."

But the fans always saw his little smirky smile as smug, and for the most part people didn't like him up there. Whatever program gets this guy will start seeing the wins flow in. He has a great track record of turning losers around.

#16953 - 01/01/07 03:06 PM Re: Barely over 0.500 while cleaning up messes like... [Re: John_Brown]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
Again, JB, Val didn't leave Mason a mess. Gottfried did.

#16954 - 01/01/07 03:10 PM Re: Barely over 0.500 while cleaning up messes lik [Re: Leawood]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Quote:

Val didn't leave Mason a mess. Gottfried did.

Val....4-17-1 at KU. Under his leadership, KU failed to win a Big 8 game in 14 tries, and won only one game against a major college team (Utah State in 1986). Ahh the days of the 70-3 thrashings. Fielding Yost and A.R. Kennedy would turn over in their graves. Gottfried was no different than Fambrough I, Moore, or Fambrough II.

God help the person that buys this....

#16955 - 01/01/07 03:31 PM Re: Barely over 0.500 while cleaning up messes lik [Re: John_Brown]
77342U Offline
Born to be Wild!

Quote:

Val and Wacker left him is impressive.

Were you guys all raised by Mommies that made sure you let the other kids win, their share of your sporting contests.

Or, have you all forgotten there are no second place conference trophies. Let alone 8th, or 9th.

9 years and getting outcoached by Lord Sni-a-dar is pathetic. Period.

Kissing up a coach who left with a sub 0.500 record, as a miracle worker, just as much so.

Give me a call when you guys decide you are ready to transpose your hero worship onto someone who deserves it.

You'll recognize that individual, he will have a truck following him, in charge of his balls.

#16956 - 01/01/07 03:39 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: Kirk]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
A great recruiter, but not a great coach.... this sounds familiar. :-D

#16957 - 01/01/07 03:54 PM Re: Showing your ignorance of the program Tubby... [Re: tubby]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Your remarks that Gottfried was no different than Moore or Fambrough is the single dumbest thing you have uttered, and you have had far more than your fair share of stupid posts!

One simply cannot compare a coach that was at the time, the Larry Brown of college football, hopping from job to job like a cheap hooker hops from bed to bed; to a coach and man who literally gave the University of Kansas his entire professional life! Gottfried inherited (like Moore) a freaking BOATLOAD of NFL caliber talent, that Fam could not manage to get to perform to their highest potential, but neither could Moore or Gottfried, who can only claim for fame the beating of the Sooner's.....Mike G. parlayed that single victory into a better paying gig at Pitt. Moore? Well the guy simply was an inept FB coach, kinda like Terry Allen.

All in all, Valesente was a far better X's and O's football MAN than Moore or Gottfried who never could get a job at any level following their last stints as head coaches. After KU, Val somehow managed to shove some NFL Championship rings on his fingers as an assistant, Bud Moore proved his business skills by filling his bank account with beer sales.....Fambrough still gives everything he has to his KU family.

Gootfried? The utter trainwreck of what had the honest makings of a honest Big-8 power through three straight classes of almost total JUCO influence makes Mike a total rapist in my mind. He left the barest cupboard that ANY coach, including Mason and Mangino, ever inherited at KU. But he did what Monte Johnson wanted, he did manage to "turn around the Kansas Football program"! He turned Pitt around too....and has been left in the announcers booth ever since, the guy is damaged goods that no one will touch.

As for Mason, I had already grown tired of the man's obsession with the PREVENT defense by the end of the 1992 season....got sicker and sicker of it in 93 & 94....then as was pointed out earlier, Mason let Ruel and Hankwitz pretty well run the show in 95 (during the dark marital times) and we had an offense and a defense. The biggest shame was that when Glen did leave, Freddie handed the keys to Terry Allen instead of Ruel or Hank, if he hadn't, we wouldn't be living through the growing pains of the Buddha and his staff.

RCJH!

#16958 - 01/01/07 04:12 PM Re: Showing your general football ignorance, been. [Re: beenahawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

you are nuts, but i dig that about you. Val a better Xs and Os guy. LMFAO!

Gottfried was no dummy. Get out while your stock is hot.

#16959 - 01/01/07 04:52 PM Re: Showing your general football ignorance, been. [Re: tubby]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Know more football than you ever will Tubby. But since you dont believe me, maybe you'll believe your HERO Gottfried, who told the world when he left, that the program couldn't be in any better hands. That "Bob Valesente is the finest assistant coach I have ever had.... A man long overdue for a shot at a head coaching position..... and a better X's and O's coach than I'll ever be." Must have been true, since Val was the only one of the three who managed to stay in coaching....no college, pro or even HS teams wanted Moore or Mike! And don't try and say it's because they wanted to sell beer or stay in the booth!

Go ahead and worship Mr. WIDE TACKLE SIX!
As for Moore, if you honestly think Bud was a better football coach than Fam, because of a 7-5 "75 season"....you REALLY need to head over to litterbox land, Prince Ron needs your support!

RCJH! Now tell me that Mangino is the savior so I can choke on my leftovers!

#16960 - 01/01/07 04:58 PM Re: Showing your general football ignorance, been. [Re: beenahawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

4-17-1.

what the hell did you expect Gottfried to say to the...uh....world?

"Must have been true, since Val was the only one of the three who managed to stay in coaching"...superb reasoning. bravo!

#16961 - 01/01/07 05:17 PM Re: Showing your TOTAL ignorance, tubby! [Re: tubby]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

4-17-1. Does this record tell you anything about Mike Gottfried?

what the hell did you expect Gottfried to say to the...uh....world? Not much more than that....but you are right, he was a MASTER at PR! Who can forget the "Kansas Air Force"?

"Must have been true, since Val was the only one of the three who managed to stay in coaching"...superb reasoning. bravo!

I humbly accept your kudos! Gottfried has tried to land EVERY job that has come down the pike since his debacle at Pitt...(guess he became dumb all the sudden and stayed as his stock went bear?) at first he was too picky, then he went after anything. Val had NO PROBLEMS landing jobs in the coaching profession, his mistake was latching on to what he THOUGHT was a rising star in the profession. Where in the hell have you been since 1985, Mars? Or were you even born yet?

BTW: You forgot to tell me how great Mangino is!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview