Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16936 - 12/31/06 08:48 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tubby]
RockChalkHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Dear Burger King Guy:

Going to one BCS game - prior to which the team's QB and several teammates are caught pulling a train on some skank/"tutor", after which the coach allows the QB to play in the game, thereby incurring national ridicule - and then LOSING the game is NOT "sniffing a national championship".

For example, Virginia Tech and Mike Vick "sniffed" a national championship when they came up just short against FSU in the title game.

Actually, the closest sniff for KSU was, ahem, when they spent a week whining about having to play A&M (Snyder being the lead whiner) before choking a lead away, and then whining about sinking to the Alamo bowl before, yes, losing again.

#16937 - 12/31/06 08:53 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
regardless, i am still pretty sure that winning the Big12 and playing in a BCS bowl is at least "sniffing" a NC.

#16938 - 12/31/06 09:50 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tubby]
TrueBlue Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Lawrence
They will regret this move. Back to the stone ages for sota.

#16939 - 12/31/06 10:00 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: TrueBlue]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Your comment about talent is contrary to all pre-season prognostications. 6-6 is about where they should have finished.

#16940 - 12/31/06 10:26 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tubby]
Hawk1990 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Shawnee, KS
Quote:

regardless, i am still pretty sure that winning the Big12 and playing in a BCS bowl is at least "sniffing" a NC.

I'm with RockChalk on this one. You won the Big 12 and played in a BCS game in a year you lost three regular season games, plus that bowl, so you never had any hope of winning the NC that season. By your terrible definition, all of these schools "sniffed" a NC in the BCS/Bowl Coalition era despite winning their conferences with 3 or more losses:

FSU '05
Pitt '04
KSU '03
FSU '02
LSU '01
Purdue '00
Stanford '99
Syracuse '98
Syracuse '97
Texas '96
Texas Tech '94
Notre Dame '94
USC '94
Tennessee '94
Va Tech '94
Texas '94
UNC '94
Alabama '93
Texas Tech '93
OU '93

There's an awful lot of sniffing going on in your world.

#16941 - 01/01/07 04:13 AM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: gr8one]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
Living up here close to the situation I can tell you that alot of people wanted him gone. BIG MISTAKE. Gofes football has been a joke...until Mase arrived. I am not old enough to really know, but I believe they kept Wacker arround so long b/c he was nice and graduated players. No, Mase did not have the Gofes in the run for the Big 10 title, but they were competetive, a bowl team every year who put a decent amount of players (RB's especially) in the NFL.

That said, I think Mase is a egotistical jerkoff. Minny will be hard pressed to replace him.

#16942 - 01/01/07 08:32 AM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
77342U Offline
Born to be Wild!

Loc: Headed, for 6th
It never ceases to amaze me, how some folks, who couldn't be further from the social circles of these Sports Figers, Minor Celebs, Officials or Offspring of Politicos seem to 'know' the intimate details of their lives.

And the more 'lurid' the details, the more 'intimate' their knowledge.

As if they actually traveled in these circles.

Since they don't, their actual knowledge is obviously limited to hear say or googlists.

Meaning they have no more real knowledge than anyone else about these matters.

Never-the-less...

#16943 - 01/01/07 09:22 AM Re: pathetic... [Re: Kirk]
WayOldHawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Kansas
I'm asking myself why no one here seems worried the goofs would swoop back into Kansas and rob us again. I don't recall the big man's name ever being mentioned as a possible replacement anywhere - anytime. Could that be good or could that be bad?

#16944 - 01/01/07 10:51 AM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Speaking of coaching vacancies, I see that Alabama has dangled 40 million in front of Nick Saban. That's not contract money, that's up front money. His contract would be in the 2.5 milion a year range. ESPN says an announcement is forthcoming in the next day or two.

They don't screw around.

#16945 - 01/01/07 11:48 AM Re: Nope! Pathetic is a way to describe... [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Mason's affinity for the PREVENT defense. You would think that after TWENTY years of blowing leads by rushing 2 or 3 and dropping everyone else back into a loose zone, the guy just MIGHT consider a change in philosophies. Not Bullheaded Glen! And no matter where he ends up (though he is set) he will NOT CHANGE! Personally I've wondered what took the Gophers so damn long in pulling the trigger!

Quote:

he did a great job at that non-traditional football dump. unbelievable.

#16946 - 01/01/07 12:06 PM Re: Nope! Pathetic is a way to describe... [Re: beenahawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

In 21 seasons as a head coach at Kent State, Kansas and Minnesota, he has a record of 123-121-1.

"With no stadium [on campus], we've done a good job and we haven't broken one rule," Mason said. "I've turned around three programs that were losers and made them better."

#16947 - 01/01/07 01:53 PM I have sympathy for Mase. [Re: RockChalkHawk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
I don't know about the Gopher situation, but KU screwed Mase. The guy brought us back from the dead and begged for the facilities to keep up w/ the Big 12 and Freddy told him to kiss his arse. The Stadium improvements GAmeball walked into should've been done 5 years earlier. Mase had some stud recruits lined up to play his kinda smashmouth afore the UGa debacle. Had we had the Stadium improvements, he might of taken us where we want to go.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#16948 - 01/01/07 01:54 PM Re: I have sympathy for Mase. [Re: John_Brown]
77342U Offline
Born to be Wild!

Loc: Headed, for 6th
Mason is barely over 0.500 in 21 years of coaching.

Peddle your peaches somewhere else, Mr. Ohio State, Nature says roll the die.

#16949 - 01/01/07 01:55 PM Re: I have sympathy for Mase. [Re: 77342U]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

a .500+ record at 3 stops that were perennial losers. that is pretty impressive.

#16950 - 01/01/07 01:58 PM Barely over 0.500 while cleaning up messes like... [Re: 77342U]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Val and Wacker left him is impressive.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview