Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16921 - 12/31/06 02:15 PM Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle
gr8one Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Tongie
According to ESPN.com

#16922 - 12/31/06 02:15 PM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: gr8one]
gr8one Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Tongie

#16923 - 12/31/06 02:22 PM Re: Mason fired at UMN after bowl debacle [Re: gr8one]
jayhawk154 Offline
Max Falkenstein

Karma, it's a bitch.

#16924 - 12/31/06 02:53 PM pathetic... [Re: jayhawk154]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
he did a great job at that non-traditional football dump. unbelievable.

#16925 - 12/31/06 03:52 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tmcats]
georgiahawk Offline
John Brown

He finally gets some alumni support to build a football only facility and this is how they repay him? I agree that he should have done a better job with winning, but Minnesota? He should have gone to UGA in my opinion.

#16926 - 12/31/06 05:43 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: georgiahawk]
prairie_dog Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Shawnee, Kansas
He was a jacka**, a jerk who dumped us and thought he was a big deal when he was here. They were probably glad to get rid of him.

#16927 - 12/31/06 06:12 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: georgiahawk]
RockChalkHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

As an alum of both KU and Minnesota, I feel uniquely qualified to comment on Mason. I have no sympathy for him whatsoever. Minnesota, in a truly brainless move, signed him to an extension a year ago. He's going to walk away with millions. As far as "this is how they repay him?" goes, don't forget that when Ohio State fired Cooper, Mason openly campaigned for the job - while still employed by Minnesota. He showed no loyalty to Minnesota - hey, it's business, baby - so why should the school owe him any loyalty?

He has a track record of taking over struggling programs and bringing them to respectability - but no higher. He's had nearly TEN YEARS to build a national contender at Minnesota and despite great recruiting (the one thing he does well - see the number of current NFL players from there) managed to blow key games, year after year after year. The Gophers were permanent residents of the likes of the Music City bowl.

As far as our friend from KState calling Minnesota a "nontraditional football dump" - not so fast. Minnesota has multiple national championships in football, the most recent being 1960. Bobby Bell is among the many All Americans from there. I'm thinking this qualifies as "tradition" - I don't see any national title banners at KState. There is still a strong fan base there, who show up year after year to see games at a terrible facility. Many of the top dollar alums were students there during the glory years and want to see them return.

Regarding Mason taking the UGA job - the largely unknown truth is that he desperately wanted to go there. His "coming back" to KU was a fiction. After Mason's initial press conference at UGA, several top donating alums vehemently objected to the hire and forced the Geogia AD's hand. They didn't want a "Yankee", and an unproven Yankee at that, taking over their program. This information came from a high level KU administrator at that time who reported directly to the Chancellor.

This guy has made a fortune by dint of being a good recruiter and bringing home mostly 500 seasons to programs who are, at first, thrilled to just be competitive again. Anyone who sat through his years at KU knows he's not a good game coach at all - anyone remember Henley running all over Nebraska all day in '93, only to be benched when KU went for 2 and the win? Anyone remember Snyder outcoaching him year after year?

The choke job against TTech was nothing new to Gophers fans who've watched similar leads blown over the years in big games against Purdue, Iowa and Michigan (lots of them in the Dome). His firing came after a hugely disappointing season in which the team was 3-6 before squeaking into the bowl picture. Blowing that game, in such a catastophic fashion, was similar to Grady Little being fired after the Red Sox choked Game 7 v. the Yankees in 2003. The fans simply weren't going to forgive it.

All I know is, after putting up with Mason's false arrogance and underachievement at my schools since 1988, he's out of my life!

#16928 - 12/31/06 06:31 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
1960. That was a while ago. Speaking of which, has KU ever won an NC

#16929 - 12/31/06 06:44 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: Ike]
RockChalkHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

KU's not winning a championship has got nothing to do with my point. My point was that a KState fan was condemning a school with true football tradition, when his school hasn't sniffed a NC.

1960 was a long time ago, granted. But for alums in their 60s and 70s with cash to donate, and great memories of a powerhouse while they were in school, don't tell them there's no tradition at their school.

#16930 - 12/31/06 07:11 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
Sychophant Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Lawrence
great post Rock Chalk. Couldn't agree with you more.

#16931 - 12/31/06 07:13 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
tophawk87 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Dallas, TX
Say what you will about Mase, he's a top coach. He's turned around two programs. He won't have to go begging for a football job. Sure, he has publicly voiced his desire for the Ohio State job, but so have about 100 other coaches. Since he's from Ohio, isn't he?, I don't think trying to earn one of the top 10 jobs in the country is that big of a sin. Heck, he beat Ohio State several times with his Gophers.
PS: That melt down against Tech was ugly though. Sheesh, rush the passer once at least, during Techs 38 point comeback instead of dropping six each and every time. I think Graham Harrell got it figured out, you think? That one bowl loss cost Mase his job?

#16932 - 12/31/06 07:28 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tophawk87]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Mason's best year at KU he essentially turned the program over to Ruhl and Hankwitz. He was too busy handling his divorce to commit the time to football. His major flaw is his acerbic personality. He always saw PR as a pain in the arse. If he wants, he will coach again.

#16933 - 12/31/06 07:43 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: tophawk87]
RockChalkHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

I don't know what your defition of a "top coach" is. Bill Snyder, by comparison with Mason, was a "top coach". Bob Stoops. Frank Beamer. Pete Carroll. Urban Meyer. No one in his or her right mind would put Mason in their universe. (Note I'm not even talking about legends like Paterno, Osborne, Bowden, Schembechler, etc.) The crime is that Mason's pay was equivalent to those top coaches.

Nor do I know what you mean by "turned around". "Turning around" a program is what Snyder did. Mason brought two programs from terrible to mediocre and left KU with a losing record overall, including his last miserable season in 1996 when he mailed it in. His record at Minnesota this year with a talented squad was a sterling 6-6 before the bowl game.

As far as campaigning for the Ohio State job, sure, most coaches are looking out for #1. I raised that point only because a previous poster had objected to his firing by saying "this is how they repay him?" But I can tell you that Minnesota fans did not appreciate him campaigning for a job in their conference - very shortly after he'd been given his previous unwarranted contract extension.

Yes, "Mase" will get another job because there are no shortage of desperate schools run by foolish ADs. Hell, the Dodgers were dumb enough to hire Grady Little. Anything's possible for Mason. Let's just hope it isn't in the TV booth.

#16934 - 12/31/06 08:27 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
Quote:

My point was that a KState fan was condemning a school with true football tradition, when his school hasn't sniffed a NC.

i am pretty sure that winning the Big XII and going BCSing is at least "sniffing" a NC.

#16935 - 12/31/06 08:45 PM Re: pathetic... [Re: RockChalkHawk]
Kirk Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Austin
No sympathy for Mason here.

But good luck bringing a better coach to Minnesota.

Mason is comparable to Mangino. Both are tough guys -- Mangino is also a good guy -- who utterly lack imagination and creativity.

KU is wise in keeping Mangino. Minnesota might have been equally prudent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview