Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#16844 - 12/31/06 06:57 AM Did anyone else know about this?
SacJayhawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Jeannette City School District

Perhaps this has been a topic of discussion a while ago and I missed it. I am assuming that they asked for and received permission from KU to use the registered trademark. If so, the University should have required them to use the colors crimson and blue, not red and blue. Somebody smack William Brasco in the nose and show him the difference between crimson and red. On the flip side, maybe that school will produce a basketball phenom someday and he will yearn to play for the REAL Jayhawks. I see that there is also the Head-Royce school in Oakland that uses the Jayhawk for their mascot, but their colors are WAY off and I don't think they actually use the picture of a Jayhawk, just the name.

#16845 - 12/31/06 07:26 AM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: SacJayhawk]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

That all white school district probably paid some "consultants" $70,000 (or thereabouts) to come up with a new logo.

Since this was red and not crimson, and not the official Kansas Athletics, Inc. blue, I see no need to send Jim Marchioni there to have a discusion. That district's "No Child Left Behind" blue ribbon could be snatched from the rafters of the gymnasium. Kansas Athletics, Inc. could swat them like the hanging curves these phonies pretend to be.

Incidentally, Lew is enjoying the new $70,000 (or thereabouts) boat slip in coastal Carolina, aka "in here".

And in related news, KAI and its suits are still negotiating with Field of Dreams over their impropriety at having "J-hawks" in that movie without permission twenty years ago.

Like Indian Peace Treaties, these agreements are only good till something valuable is discovered. Then they are void.

Edited by SFBayhawk (12/31/06 12:18 PM)

#16846 - 12/31/06 08:55 AM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: SFBayhawk]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
They (Jeanette, Pa)adopted the Jayhawk in 1936, or before.
I doubt anyone bothered with registering it as a trademark back then, especially when it was applied to a faction of area citizenry during the civil war years. Boggles my mind how anyone thinks they can "own" it. It rightfully belongs to Kansans.
If anything could be commercially protected, I would think it would be a particular rendition.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#16847 - 12/31/06 09:07 AM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: appyhawk]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Don't carry that logo on a university business card without Herr Bishop Perkins approval!

#16848 - 12/31/06 09:19 AM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: appyhawk]
SacJayhawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I don't think anyone would dispute their right to use the term "Jayhawk" as their mascot. However, did you actually look at their mascot? That is an exact replica of the one Harold Sandy created and copyrighted in 1946, except it doesn't have the "KU" in the middle of it. To quote KUSports.com, "In 1946, Sandy drew what became known as the Smiling or the "Sandy" Jayhawk. Sandy took a job with an Independence, Mo., advertisting agency and gave up the rights to the Jayhawk to the KU Bookstore. In 1978, KU acquired the design from the bookstore and obtained a federal trademark on the image." If you look at the version that Jeannette City School District uses, it even has the copyright symbol on it next to its back foot.

#16849 - 12/31/06 09:28 AM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: SacJayhawk]
SalisburyJ Offline
Baby Jay

Self likes Arthur to shoot the rock, as simple as it is, and he is a good shooter, of course not great yet.

#16850 - 12/31/06 09:54 AM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: SalisburyJ]
PugetSoundHawk Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Washington
Man, this really bothers me. If our mascot were something generic like Bulldogs or Tigers, it wouldn't bother me. But we are the one and only Jayhawks, created after the term Jayhawker came into use. As long as this school district is using our one and only identity, then it's a good thing to associate it with our one and only image, the Sandy image. When trademark owners license their property, they usually require its reproduction to match a style guide that specifies ink colors. This is all pretty tacky.

#16851 - 12/31/06 10:03 AM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: SacJayhawk]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Not sure what the deal is with this. There is a Jr High in Orland Park Illinois that has our logo and is called the Jayhawks.

#16852 - 12/31/06 11:57 AM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: Hawklin]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
What's the problem with it? Jayhawk Linn in Kansas has it too

#16853 - 12/31/06 12:04 PM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: Ike]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
There is a school (JH or HS) in Iowa, they are the Jayhawks. Have you ever seen how many HSs have the powercat as their logo, or the Wisconsin "W"? Hell, Washburn uses it.

#16854 - 12/31/06 12:21 PM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: appyhawk]
SFBayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Has Cornell patented the "High Above Cayoga's Waters" EVERYONE has ripped off for their alumni song?

Lot's of schools rip off Big Ten and Notre Dame fight songs.

We rip off U2 for the cheesy player introduction.

#16855 - 12/31/06 06:00 PM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: PugetSoundHawk]
neilster Offline
John Brown

Loc: Overland Park KS
Anyone remember a few years back when Temple decided that the Free State HS logo looked to similar to the Temple Owl? They had their lawyers send a letter and FSHS had to change up the logo. It wouldn't be unusual if we did the same to protect the trademark.

#16856 - 12/31/06 06:14 PM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: neilster]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
Kinda like high school fight songs. Seems like half of the high schools use "On Wisconsin" as their fight songs. Mine did.

Logos are not in the public domain, however. Nor should they be.

#16857 - 12/31/06 07:22 PM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: jahawker2004]
tophawk87 Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Dallas, TX
When do we hire Turgeon?

#16858 - 12/31/06 07:39 PM Re: Did anyone else know about this? [Re: tophawk87]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
When you stop using Shannon as your avatar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview