Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1670770 - 03/19/12 06:24 PM Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard)
jhawk73 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Des Moines, Iowa
News reports say he had a scaphoid fracture in his hand and that he had surgery to put a screw in it today. Here's a link to an article that explains the treatment options for this (he almost certainly had the option labeled "percutaneous surgery"). In a nutshell, these people (they're world experts in bone and joint disease) recommend resuming sports activity 10-12 weeks after surgery, and usually only after doing a CT scan to confirm healing. Splinting is required for 8-12 weeks as well. The problem with this kind of fracture is that it often cuts the blood supply to the bone, with slow, often incomplete healing as a result. If the blood supply is impaired, the bone can collapse. This leads to lifetime issues with pain and sometimes a visible deformity. UNC will be extremely stupid, and will be opening itself up to substantial liability, if they let him play in the tournament at all. It would be all too easy to re-injure it. Too bad for him, but good for us.

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_scaphoid-fractures-non-union-wrist-fractures.asp

#1670771 - 03/19/12 06:27 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: jhawk73]
petergriffin Offline
Pure Jayhawk

He makes that team go. Last year with Larry Drew they weren't very good at all. With him, they became a different team. He might try and play, but he will be a liability. Not only on the offensive end, but on the defensive end as well. He won't be able to reach and slap at balls with his right hand without pain.

#1670772 - 03/19/12 06:32 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: petergriffin]
KUROCKSALL Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: LAND OF OZ
Carolina's second and third team will handle the bobcats!

#1670773 - 03/19/12 06:35 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: KUROCKSALL]
petergriffin Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

Carolina's second and third team will handle the bobcats!

More than likely. I don't think Ohio has the horses to handle Zeller, Barnes, and Henson. But maybe Ohio goes off from 3pt land.

#1670774 - 03/19/12 06:42 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: petergriffin]
KUfromOU Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Athens, OH
Bobcats will take down UNC.

DJ Cooper is too good, UNC is too hurt, the stars are aligned.

#1670775 - 03/19/12 06:44 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: KUfromOU]
Sparko Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: NJ
I had Ohio advancing, strangely enough. . .

#1670776 - 03/19/12 06:45 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: KUfromOU]
KUROCKSALL Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: LAND OF OZ
OU - i want what u been drinking/smoking. NC by 15!

#1670777 - 03/19/12 06:46 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: jhawk73]
phsx_hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: texas
Quote:

Too bad for him, but good for us.

assuming both teams meet on the way to the f4.

#1670778 - 03/19/12 07:56 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: phsx_hawk]
lobster Offline
You feel the pinch?

Loc: DCHawk's basement.
I never like facing a team without their star. I'd rather face UNC at full strength should we get that far. I have a feeling NCS will be no pushover.

#1670779 - 03/19/12 07:57 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: lobster]
petergriffin Offline
Pure Jayhawk

If we get to the Final Four, I don't care who or who doesn't play.

#1670780 - 03/19/12 08:14 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: phsx_hawk]
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: az
Quote:

Quote:

Too bad for him, but good for us.

assuming both teams meet on the way to the f4.

After reading the article I don't see how anyone with that injury could play sports since a thumb to elbow cast is required for about 2 weeks followed by a plastic splint. Healing time for the injury is around 12 weeks if there no complications (such as infection).

#1670781 - 03/19/12 08:23 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: imzcount]
lobster Offline
You feel the pinch?

Loc: DCHawk's basement.
Has blackmild33 said he won't play? I await the official word.

#1670782 - 03/19/12 08:58 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: imzcount]
jhawk73 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

After reading the article I don't see how anyone with that injury could play sports since a thumb to elbow cast is required for about 2 weeks followed by a plastic splint. Healing time for the injury is around 12 weeks if there no complications (such as infection).

I don't see how either. Yet Roi was being quoted afterwards as saying they didn't know:

http://www.tarheelblue.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031912aad.html

After all his pious talk about wanting what's best for his "kids" I don't understand how he could say that. Playing Marshall in the tourney is definitely not in his best interest, either short or long term. IMHO. I do have some professional knowledge of these matters BTW

#1670783 - 03/19/12 09:08 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: lobster]
jhawk73 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

I never like facing a team without their star. I'd rather face UNC at full strength should we get that far. I have a feeling NCS will be no pushover.

NCS probably won't be a pushover. Nobody we meet from here on out will be.

As for not facing a team without their star, when it comes to the Final 4, "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn". Neither the trophy, the banner in AFH, nor the listing in the NCAA record books will have an asterisk saying that so-and-so didn't play for a particular team because of an injury (or bad grades, or taking money from a booster to name a couple of recent examples). All it will say is that team A beat team B by a score of so and so to such and such. And I want KU to be "team A" by whatever legal means necessary.

#1670784 - 03/19/12 09:37 PM Re: Kendall Marshall surgery (UNC point guard) [Re: jhawk73]
dnvrhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Ganja State
^^^^^^^
THIS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview