Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163687 - 08/05/07 01:12 AM About that KC -NYY rivalry
jdavis34 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Is it really a rivlary if the Royals just lay down for the Yankees?

#163688 - 08/05/07 08:23 AM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jdavis34]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Who says we have a rivalry? Only mention of a rivalry was back in the day before Steinbrenner decided to ruin the competitive balance of the game.

#163689 - 08/05/07 09:20 AM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jdavis34]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Quote:

Don't blame the Yankees because they can beat the Royals. I know you're bitter about Boston's inability to do better than 3-3 against the Royals, but don't hold that against the Yankees.

#163690 - 08/06/07 06:38 PM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jaihaux]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: On the sofa
Is KC-NYY a rivalry, NO.
I know you are saying this in response to the earlier posts that KC/NYY is a rivalry but I agree it isn't.
However (since I feel like playing devil's advocate) if we look at the dictionary.com definitions of rival:

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

KC would as be as much of a rival as Boston is to NYY during my lifetime as everybody considers the ultimate goal is to win World Championships.

#163691 - 08/06/07 06:45 PM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jdavis34]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

btw - before we get too sarcastic, wasn't it just last year when Boston got SWEPT by the Yankees in a FIVE (yes FIVE as there was a make-up game) game series in August in Boston that officially put a nail in their coffin last year??????

Going into this evenly matched series of rivals, the Yankees had a 1.5 game lead on Boston, this being a chance for the Red Sox to turn things back around. Instead they left the 5 game series to find themselves down 6.5 games and being outscored 49 to 26 in the series (Game 1: 12-4; Game 2: 14-11; Game 3: 13-5; Game 4: 8-5; Game 5: 2-1)

Talk about laying down.........

#163692 - 08/06/07 11:11 PM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Quote:

btw - before we get too sarcastic, wasn't it just last year when Boston got SWEPT by the Yankees in a FIVE (yes FIVE as there was a make-up game) game series in August in Boston that officially put a nail in their coffin last year??????

Going into this evenly matched series of rivals, the Yankees had a 1.5 game lead on Boston, this being a chance for the Red Sox to turn things back around. Instead they left the 5 game series to find themselves down 6.5 games and being outscored 49 to 26 in the series (Game 1: 12-4; Game 2: 14-11; Game 3: 13-5; Game 4: 8-5; Game 5: 2-1)

Talk about laying down.........

it hurts just to read that

#163693 - 08/07/07 12:11 AM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Actually, Boston's season ended last year when Kansas City swept them at Kauffman Stadium.

#163694 - 08/07/07 01:06 AM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jaihaux]
jdavis34 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Okay but the Red Sox have gone to the playoffs in the past decade....

And many times have the Red sox faced the Yankees in the playoffs...

#163695 - 08/07/07 04:55 PM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jdavis34]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
The now stereotypical Boston response to a fan of KC that says something the itty bitty wed sawk fan doesn't like "well, when was the last time you went to the playoffs?" Not to be a stickler, but that had NOTHING AT ALL to do with the original conversation!!!!!!!

You were implying that since the Royals "layed down" to NYY this weekend, it shows that KC-NYY wasn't a rivalry. I even AGREED with you that KC-NYY is NOT a rivalry, I did however play devil's advocate and wanted to point out that if that was your proof that KC-NYY wasn't a rivalry, we only had to go back to last year when the BoSox got beat down at home in an even more embarrassing situation. I also wanted to point out, again playing devil's advocate, that if you take the textbook definitions of rivals/rivalry and wanted to be strict with the definitions then both KC and Boston are as "equal" rivals to the Yankess during my lifetime (32 years) as the Yankees have won 6 World Championships and KC and Boston have one apiece.

If you are saying that the "many" (3 total) times that Red Sox and Yankees have faced each other in the playoffs is even further proof of the rivalry, then you lose your earlier argument on the "royals vs. yankees" thread laughing at the notion that KC and NYY having a historical rivalry as these two teams played each other a "plethora" (4 times in 5 years) of times in the playoffs.

What is with Red Sox fans feeling like they are the red-headed stepchild in baseball? ESPECIALLY since a significant number of them did not care about them prior to '04 and probably couldn't name more than 5 players before that team. (Present company excluded from the "bandwagon" statement)

Now that I have that cleared up, I still agree with you that KC-NYY isn't a rivalry, I agree that Bos/NYY is a rivalry, I'm just pointing how your arguments can be used to "justify" the earlier comments made by KC fans.

And again, I can't stress this enough it's getting childish that BoSox fans that have won a grand total of 1 championship during the lifetime of the Royals keep bringing up the Royals last 10-15 years of futility just because they can't think of any other valid point in the argument.

#163696 - 08/07/07 06:11 PM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
Merg311 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Hays, KS
The tone of the Red Sox fan seems to be eerily siimilar to that of KSUCK...I didnt wanna go there, but it is what it is...

#163697 - 08/07/07 08:17 PM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: Merg311]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

The tone of the Red Sox fan seems to be eerily siimilar to that of KSUCK...I didnt wanna go there, but it is what it is...

That's just mean....

and incorrect, Red Sox fans waited until AFTER they actually won a championship before developing this attitude and tone.

#163698 - 08/07/07 11:43 PM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
jdavis34 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
The now stereotypical Boston response to a fan of KC that says something the itty bitty wed sawk fan doesn't like "well, when was the last time you went to the playoffs?" Not to be a stickler, but that had NOTHING AT ALL to do with the original conversation!!!!!!!

You were implying that since the Royals "layed down" to NYY this weekend, it shows that KC-NYY wasn't a rivalry. I even AGREED with you that KC-NYY is NOT a rivalry, I did however play devil's advocate and wanted to point out that if that was your proof that KC-NYY wasn't a rivalry, we only had to go back to last year when the BoSox got beat down at home in an even more embarrassing situation. I also wanted to point out, again playing devil's advocate, that if you take the textbook definitions of rivals/rivalry and wanted to be strict with the definitions then both KC and Boston are as "equal" rivals to the Yankess during my lifetime (32 years) as the Yankees have won 6 World Championships and KC and Boston have one apiece.

If you are saying that the "many" (3 total) times that Red Sox and Yankees have faced each other in the playoffs is even further proof of the rivalry, then you lose your earlier argument on the "royals vs. yankees" thread laughing at the notion that KC and NYY having a historical rivalry as these two teams played each other a "plethora" (4 times in 5 years) of times in the playoffs.

What is with Red Sox fans feeling like they are the red-headed stepchild in baseball? ESPECIALLY since a significant number of them did not care about them prior to '04 and probably couldn't name more than 5 players before that team. (Present company excluded from the "bandwagon" statement)

Now that I have that cleared up, I still agree with you that KC-NYY isn't a rivalry, I agree that Bos/NYY is a rivalry, I'm just pointing how your arguments can be used to "justify" the earlier comments made by KC fans.

And again, I can't stress this enough it's getting childish that BoSox fans that have won a grand total of 1 championship during the lifetime of the Royals keep bringing up the Royals last 10-15 years of futility just because they can't think of any other valid point in the argument.

Don't give me this bandwagon [censored]... There are more bandwagon Yankee fans than Red Sox fans.

Don't call me bandwagon either when I have Roger Clemens baseball cards from when he was a Red Sox in a thick 3 ring binder.

Also my "lifetime" is of 19 years. I've seen 18 World Series Champions. None of them are the Royals. One of them is the boston red sox. I don't want to hear lifetime arguments, because then I can use my argument that my lifetime is more telling of the times in baseball at this moment.

I haven't seen the Red Sox lose a World Series. The best Royals team I've seen in my lifetime is the 1989 Royals, and they still were 7 games behind the AL leader. It's been downhill since.

The Red Sox have consistently put out decent teams since I've been born, before the huge lucrative contracts, too. I saw the Clemens, the Mo Vaugns, the Nomar Garciaparras, the Pedro Martinezs, Tom Gordon, etc etc. I really could go on.

The thing is the Red Sox-Yankee rivlary goes beyond my lifetime. It goes back to when Ruth got traded to the Yankees.

The Yankees and Royals had a decade and a half?

Going back to the Red Sox getting 5 game swept... Look at that team compared to now... Very different. Players were hurt, they were falling apart.

I get angry at the Royals because they will play well versus the Red Sox and then fall apart against the Yankees.... The thing is the Red Sox and Yankees play 19 times a year now. That one series was more than 25% of those 19 games! In a row...That's huge.

This year is quite different though...And as we say in Boston "Wait 'till next year." I did ,and I'm enjoying this team. From Dustin Pedroia to Jonathon Papelbon to Daisuke.

#163699 - 08/08/07 07:19 AM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jdavis34]
genpatton Offline
Dale

Quote:

Also my "lifetime" is of 19 years. I've seen 18 World Series Champions. None of them are the Royals. One of them is the boston red sox. I don't want to hear lifetime arguments, because then I can use my argument that my lifetime is more telling of the times in baseball at this moment.

I haven't seen the Red Sox lose a World Series. The best Royals team I've seen in my lifetime is the 1989 Royals, and they still were 7 games behind the AL leader. It's been downhill since.

So you were 1-2 years old when you saw the best Royals team of your lifetime? You would have been asleep with crap in your diaper when those games were aired. A real critical spectator. LOL!

#163700 - 08/08/07 08:47 AM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jdavis34]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

I get angry at the Royals because they will play well versus the Red Sox and then fall apart against the Yankees....

Maybe it was the Yankees playing well more than the Royals not playing well. You obviously didn't watch the games.

Good news. Yankees make another trip to Kauffman Stadium. While I'd love for the Royals to sweep, it's almost as much fun watching you melt down when the Royals lose to the Yankees.

#163701 - 08/08/07 09:06 AM Re: About that KC -NYY rivalry [Re: jdavis34]
JHAWX75 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: 911's A Joke!
Quote:

Going back to the Red Sox getting 5 game swept... Look at that team compared to now... Very different. Players were hurt, they were falling apart.

They(red sox) may have been tired (game 2 was 4 hrs. 45 min., longest 9 inning game ever) but not hurt or falling apart.

Save the excuses for the judge. NY handed you your chinstrapped hairpiece that weekend. In Fenway no less. First 2 games 12-4, 14-11: 34 Yankee hits, Damon goes yard twice. Games 3 and 4, 13-5, 8-5. Game 5, 2-1.

Dont make excuses. That was a team that was ready to do big things last year and didnt even make it to the 10th month.

Pressure busts pipes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview