Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#160632 - 07/25/07 03:02 AM Cubs beat Deadbirds
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Loc: Frost Arena
Wow, StL fans have to feel sick about this one. A couple of unearned runs....a stolen base and two out hit to plate the go-ahead winning run....Pujols going 0-5 w/ 4 LOB. In the very least all the Cubs had to do was show up and take one game in this series. That way the most StL can gain is a single game. Had the Cubs lost all three StL would be right behind the good guys for second. Talk about a big game to win.

Cubs have owned StL since Billy Mueller busted his knee in their dump. Holier-than-thou d-bag's.

#160633 - 07/25/07 08:40 AM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
Big Z once again does just enough to get the W. Very interesting how the Cubs for the first time in about 5 years are finally realizing how to "manufacture" runs. It is a joy to watch.

#160634 - 07/25/07 10:58 AM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: larryb]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

I was thinking the same thing watching the game late last night, Gutter. Theriot walks, steals second and comes home with the insurance run on a single by Lee. I was stunned watching it. It was like they were actually trying to win a game for a change.

That and Lou's late-inning defensive switch in right was pretty key. He's rolling 'em hot right now. I hope he keeps it up.

#160635 - 07/25/07 11:06 AM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: chiknbut]
larryb Offline
Gutter

You and me both. As long as the pitching continues to come through, no reason why this team shouldn't win the Division. I never would have said that in late May.

Baseball season's underway
Well you better get ready for a brand new day.
Hey, Chicago, what do you say
The Cubs are gonna win today.

They're singing ...
Go, Cubs, go
Go, Cubs, go

Go, Cubs, go
Go, Cubs, go

They got the power, they got the speed
To be the best in the National League
Well this is the year and Cubs are real
So come on down to Wrigley Field

We're singing now ...

Go, Cubs, go
Go, Cubs, go

Go, Cubs, go
Go, Cubs, go

Baseball time is here again
You can catch it all on WGN
So stamp you feet and clap your hands
Chicago Cubs got the greatest fans.

You're singing now ...

Go, Cubs, go
Go, Cubs, go

Go, Cubs, go
Go, Cubs, go

#160636 - 07/25/07 11:35 AM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: larryb]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

A friend of mine came into town last week for the Sunday game and asked me "what's that Go-Cubs-Go song?" they were singing after the win.

I told him it was yet another reason to prove that Cubs fans are as jive as they come.

That song sucks. It screams WGN-Radio.

#160637 - 07/25/07 12:37 PM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: chiknbut]
larryb Offline
Gutter

I am sure you remember what they played the past few years after a victory. I wonder how many "families" they offended?

Baby, babe, let's get together.
Honey, hon, me and you.
And do the things, ah, do the things
That we like to do.
Do a little dance, make a little love,
Get down tonight.
Get down tonight.
Get down tonight.
Get down tonight.
Baby, babe, I'll meet you,
Same place, same time.
Where we can get together
And ease up our mind.
Get down tonight.
Get down tonight.
Get down tonight.
Get down tonight.

#160638 - 07/25/07 04:52 PM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: larryb]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Big Z once again does just enough to get the W. Very interesting how the Cubs for the first time in about 5 years are finally realizing how to "manufacture" runs. It is a joy to watch.

Amen on both accounts. One of the runs Z allowed was to a pitcher.

I hate the Cubs farm system and how they do not preach manufacturing runs or making contact. Always love getting prospects from orginizations like Oakland, ATl and StL.

#160639 - 07/25/07 04:55 PM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: chiknbut]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

The "GoCubs go" song is brutal. But it is pretty cool to hear it blaring after the game. Watching the drunk idiots try to sing along is another story.

Not being a Cubs homer here...but....when the Cubs are winning there is no other team that would be funner to play for....not even close.

#160640 - 07/25/07 09:22 PM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

My feeling about the Cubs is pretty mixed. It doesn't bother me when they lose, but it's OK if they win. The park is wonderful. This team is proving to be very likeable.

The stereotypical Cubs fan is everything that drives me nuts about Chicago - and I love this city. The "wait til next year" crowd are a bunch of whiny losers. They embrace the "loveable losers" tag, call themselves "die hard fans" or refer to themselves as "bleacher bums," drink mai tai's at the game and then leave to go to Murphy's (or worse, Hi-Tops), think Chicago is the center of the universe and still talk about all the great times they used to have at Shenanigans. You know, the ones who act like the cast of "About Last Night."

Not to say that there aren't some great Cubs fans out there.

#160641 - 07/25/07 09:32 PM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: chiknbut]
stevemize Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: World Golf Village, FL
The Cubs don't bother me one way or the other, since I am an American League fan, until they start to do well. Then every idiot in the country starts talking about the Cubbies and how great they are doing. These same idiots couldn't name 3 starters on the team but they keep talking about the loveable Cubbies. Hate'em.

#160642 - 07/26/07 08:34 AM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: stevemize]
larryb Offline
Gutter

chikn - Do you mean the typical Cubs fan who want's everyone to check out their tits, muscles, tattoos, and or stacked beer cups? The typical fan who when arriving at their seats proceeds to call everyone they know to tell them they are at the game and then calls a friend who happens to be at the game and stands up for 5 minutes waving their hands until their friend tells them that they see them? The same fan who after consuming 5 beers turns their back to the game and talks non stop to the people sitting in the row behind them? The same fan who has no clue what the score of the game is in the 8th inning? The same fan who will tell you how much they love the Cubs and that Theriot is their favorite Cub of all time but then when you ask them if they like Billy Williams they have no clue who he is? The same fan who if the White Sox played at Wrigley would be a White Sox fan?

I do miss the fans of the late 70's and early 80's. Lee Elia's type of fan.

http://users.rcn.com/pkatcher/audio/LeeEliaTirade.mp3

#160643 - 07/26/07 09:02 AM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: chiknbut]
Hawklin Offline
Justin Ray Giddens

Quote:

My feeling about the Cubs is pretty mixed. It doesn't bother me when they lose, but it's OK if they win. The park is wonderful. This team is proving to be very likeable.

The stereotypical Cubs fan is everything that drives me nuts about Chicago - and I love this city. The "wait til next year" crowd are a bunch of whiny losers. They embrace the "loveable losers" tag, call themselves "die hard fans" or refer to themselves as "bleacher bums," drink mai tai's at the game and then leave to go to Murphy's (or worse, Hi-Tops), think Chicago is the center of the universe and still talk about all the great times they used to have at Shenanigans. You know, the ones who act like the cast of "About Last Night."

Not to say that there aren't some great Cubs fans out there.

2nded.

It took me a while, but I did find there are some good fans out there. Unfortunately they dont get to go to alot of games, or dont go because of the described fans above. That mentality made it very easy for me to leave. Id say its 95% of the social scene.

#160644 - 07/26/07 09:32 AM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: Hawklin]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

My favorite drunk Cubs fan moment so far this year was, as usual, in one of the horrible bathrooms (trough-style)late in a Tuesday night game. One drunk pissing fan yelling at another about wearing a Garciapara jersey - something like "you don't wear ex-Cubs jerseys." Other drunk fan starts to talk about how long he's been a Cubs fan and how the other is a poseur. First drunk fan follows by saying he's been going to Cubs games since the early 1990s. Second drunk fan laughs at first drunk fan. Second drunk fan zips up and approaches second fan, chest bumping ensues. Trash talking continues past the Old Style stand and into the upper deck walkway where both guys continue to yell insults as they head in opposite directions back to their seats.

Keep in mind, both were Cubs fans.

Oh, by the way, another good win last night.

#160645 - 07/26/07 05:50 PM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: Hawklin]
SDakotaJayhawk Offline
Max Falkenstein

Deadbirds had a real chance of getting back into the Central race if they could've swept the Cubs in StL. Oops.

Milw loses again today.

I look for the Cubs to add one, maybe two quality players to the roster in the next few days. Dotel? Torii Hunter? Joe Nathan? Dunn? Heck, the Cubs have added quality players when they were much further out than this.

#160646 - 07/27/07 08:57 AM Re: Cubs beat Deadbirds [Re: SDakotaJayhawk]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Even if the Cubs don't pick anyone up (of course they are going to) they will add Wood and Pie to the roster before playoff time. Let's just throw last nights game away and move on. I will settle for 2 out of 3 for the rest of the year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview