Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1574630 - 12/06/11 03:00 PM Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez?
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I'd jump all over this potential deal if it's something that's being seriously considered.

I am a big big fan of Gonzalez, and he'd be a legit ace with KC.

Also, saw the Jays traded for a closer, so that would seem to shoot down any rumors of possiby Soria to Toronto for Rasmus.

#1574631 - 12/06/11 03:01 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: christgs80]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
I wouldn't trade Myers straight up for any pitcher known to be on the market.

#1574632 - 12/06/11 03:45 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: JFish26]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Really, Fish? You're that high on him?

Or is it just the fear that without him, Francoeur will be a lifetime Royal?

Quote:

#1574633 - 12/06/11 03:54 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: jnewell]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

That's a bold statement Fish.

#1574634 - 12/06/11 04:09 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: jnewell]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Really, Fish? You're that high on him?

Or is it just the fear that without him, Francoeur will be a lifetime Royal?

Quote:

Well, it's that "known to be on the market" thing. Gonzalez is a good pitcher, but he's 26. Pitchers don't age like hitters; the curve is shifted way to the left.

The problem is that I don't think you're getting enough of his best years to sacrifice all of Myers'. Gonzalez would make the Royals probably 1.5-2.5 wins better next year. Are the Royals an 85-win team right now? If not, the play needs to be bolder (Darvish!) or not made at all.

#1574635 - 12/06/11 04:34 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: JFish26]
jnewell Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
My biggest fear is that if the Royals get another starter, they'll bump Paulino out of the rotation ... and he's their best starter.

#1574636 - 12/06/11 04:43 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: jnewell]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Yep. We've seen that Moore has got amateur talent fairly well nailed, but I'm not sure we know enough about his readiness to parse out major league decisions quite yet. I'd prefer to hold steady for now and evaluate spinning a piece or pieces in June once we have a greater understanding of how the pitching is developing and whether contention is realistic.

#1574637 - 12/06/11 05:03 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: JFish26]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I agree, but that could also backfire in a big way.

What happens if the pitching stinks, and Myers, like last season, has another injury-filled and overall disappointing season.

A lot of ifs on both sides I suppose.

#1574638 - 12/06/11 05:09 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: christgs80]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Always are. So you choose the better 'if.' And I like Myers to rack up about 25 WAR as a Royal more than I like Gonzalez or Shields to do half as well. So you only make that trade if the early payoff is more valuable than the overall gap in performance. I don't think it is.

#1574639 - 12/06/11 05:33 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: JFish26]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

It really comes down to whether or not Myers is the real deal or not I suppose.

I'm not as sold on him as I was when he was a catcher.

#1574640 - 12/06/11 05:52 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: christgs80]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: In the Corleone compound
Quote:

Why? He was on his way to being a horrible catcher.

#1574641 - 12/06/11 05:58 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: christgs80]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

I'd be against trading Myers for the fact that the organization is thin at the power hitting outfielder within the organization.
I'm also of the opinion that the Royals should wait another year to make a move on a starting pitcher. It will be a better free agent market, plus someone such as Montgomery may make a move to warrant a spot in the rotation.

#1574642 - 12/06/11 06:23 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: jammahawk]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

Because most of his value was that he was a great hitting catcher. You don't see many catchers with .300 potential with 20+ homers.

But you see outfielders all the time with that kind of hitting potential. And as far as I know, he's on his way to becoming nothing above an average outfielder.

#1574643 - 12/06/11 07:18 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: christgs80]
jammahawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Because most of his value was that he was a great hitting catcher. You don't see many catchers with .300 potential with 20+ homers.

But you see outfielders all the time with that kind of hitting potential. And as far as I know, he's on his way to becoming nothing above an average outfielder.

One of the reasons you don't see that kind of production much from catchers is because teams value defense behind the plate more than offensive production. Myers was not going to be very good behind the plate.
Salvadore Perez should be very solid behind the plate, and hopefully above average as a hitter. It will be what he does behind the plate that the Royals are most excited about.

#1574644 - 12/06/11 07:20 PM Re: Any interest in Myers for Gio Gonzalez? [Re: jammahawk]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

That's exactly my point.

You don't see those kind of catchers around baseball, but you see plenty of outfielders like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview