Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1520760 - 09/28/11 11:42 PM KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think)
41and2since94 Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Antarctica
When KC's season is over, so is baseball as far as I'm concerned. Was curious to see what the 2012 draft order will be. Tonight's loss bumped KC back up to the 5th spot. Would have been 7th had KC won.

Top of the draft in 2012 (again, I think I have this right)...

1. HOU
2. MN
3. SEA
4. BAL
5. KC
6. CHC
7. SD

KC "wins" the tiebreaker over CHC and SD based upon 2010 standings. I thought the tiebreaker was head-to-head, but wikipedia says it's previous year's finish.

Hint, Dayton: A starting pitcher would be a good idea. And don't trade Melky!!!

#1520761 - 09/29/11 04:49 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: 41and2since94]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Around 5th is a good spot to go get a college arm that is ready to go and could the help team potentially late in the year if they are still in the playoff hunt.

#1520762 - 09/29/11 05:03 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: christgs80]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: KC, MO
Wrong approach entirely.

#1520763 - 09/29/11 05:15 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: JFish26]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Really?

You like a high school arm at 5? Or just BPA?

I just think they've gone high school year after year, and I think it might be time to go after a college arm that you really think can be a fast track guy.

#1520764 - 09/29/11 05:44 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: christgs80]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

In baseball, always always always best player available. Given where the Royals are on the competition curve, it might even advisable to favor high-potential guys farther away from the majors; if you're concerned about losing guys like Hosmer for money reasons, you need to develop long-term, high-end replacements. The last thing this team needs is more bullpen arms (which is really the only way for a guy to get to the majors all that quickly).

Especially because this will be the last draft for several years that the Royals are in a great draft position, netting a high-end guy is more crucial than ever.

#1520765 - 09/29/11 06:05 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: JFish26]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I agree and disagree with that.

I agree if a high-end position player is there, and he's slipped to 5, or something along those lines, then by all means, take that player.

But I diagree about the Hosmer thing. If you think you might be in future problems as far as re-signing certain players, why not get a ready-to-go college player who can help when you have a full roster.

If you go and try to groom another set of youngsters, you're just repeating a pattern of developing young guys, and that's proven not to work so far.

You know what I mean?

But I totally get the concept of BPA....but if it comes down to choosing between a high-school arm, and a college arm, I'd like for them to take the college arm for a change.

#1520766 - 09/29/11 06:21 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: christgs80]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Umm:

Quote:

[getting] a ready-to-go college player who can help when you have a full roster

is the quickest way to close the window the Royals have been patiently waiting to open. And:

Quote:

repeating a pattern of developing young guys

is the reason the Rays are still playing.

If Dayton Moore and his staff have one phase of baseball nailed, it's acquiring and developing young talent. Which, fortunately for the Royals, is just about the most important thing to a team with modest resources.

#1520767 - 09/29/11 06:30 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: JFish26]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

When the Royals start playing like the Rays, then I'll compare the two organizations.

I love the direction the Royals have taken, but honestly, you can't say they have acquiring and developing young talent "nailed".

They still only won 71 games this season....and I realize this is just the start of their plan, but until the plan has been executed with success, I'm not sure how you can say they've mastered it.

The cool part is even having this discussion....I don't think the excitement around this team has ever this high in a very long time.

I just hope it works out because it's been awfully depressing being a Royals fan the past 15 years or so.

#1520768 - 09/29/11 06:33 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: christgs80]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

TB went 66-96 the year before they went to the WS.

#1520769 - 09/29/11 06:35 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: christgs80]
JFish26 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I'd argue the Royals are playing like the Rays, just not in the most obvious way. They do have acquring and developing young talent nailed, and the plan is being executed successfully. Just not in a way that shows well yet.

The Royals are in a better position than all but a handful of teams: loaded system, good young players at the major league level, soft division, committed to a solid organizational philosophy, and giving every indication of sustainability.

It all depends on if you believe Glass will spend to get from 80 to 85 wins, and I strongly, strongly believe he will.

#1520770 - 09/29/11 06:37 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

And nobody was praising TB until they did it....that's the point.

It's one thing to have the "#1" minor league system...but you have to prove it on the field.

Like I said, the promise is there, but I'm not going to toute Dayton Moore a master at anything until the results are shown on the field. But I do think he's on the right track, hopefully!

#1520771 - 09/29/11 06:40 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: JFish26]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Quote:

It all depends on if you believe Glass will spend to get from 80 to 85 wins, and I strongly, strongly believe he will.

We have plenty of money to do it, let's go after it.

#1520772 - 09/29/11 06:41 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: christgs80]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I don't ever think Glass will open up the checkbook to get a front-line starter....I just don't see it happening.

And frankly that's what is limiting the Royals right now.

So with that said, it becomes uber-important for this crop of young pitchers (Crow, Duffy, Montgomery, Lamb, Dwyer, Odrizzi) to make the leap like the hitters have to make this team a contender.

Unless Moore decides to trade prospects for a front-line starter, which we've already discussed in another thread.

#1520773 - 09/29/11 06:43 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: christgs80]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Quote:

Quote:

And nobody was praising TB until they did it....that's the point.

It's one thing to have the "#1" minor league system...but you have to prove it on the field.

Like I said, the promise is there, but I'm not going to toute Dayton Moore a master at anything until the results are shown on the field. But I do think he's on the right track, hopefully!

i'm touting the system and the model. What he's doing makes sense and to an a certain extent, we have plenty of guys who have already proved it on the field. Bring in some pitchers and we're going to win games.

#1520774 - 09/29/11 06:43 PM Re: KC will draft 5th in '12 (I think) [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
christgs80 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Quote:

Quote:

We have plenty of money to do it, let's go after it.

Man I hope so....but front-line pitching doesn't exactly grow on trees....there are maybe 1-2 a season that are available in FA, and the Royals simply can't compete for the services of these guys when going up against the Bostons, New Yorks, Anaheims, and others in the league.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview