Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14978 - 12/03/06 11:50 PM Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? *
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Loc: United States
You guys get in on this thread. Keep in mind no one wants to get rid of the track and field teams. What does the track and field crowd see as a solution to this problem...it is a fact that the track and the stadium inhabiting the same space seems less than efficient and positive for both sports. The football stadium needs to be used only for football and a new track and field complex needs to be built. we need to keep up with the other schools in our conference...we are the only one with a track around our football stadium. What are your thoughts? Here is the thread:

http://boards.kusports.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=514195&an=0&page=0#514195

#14979 - 12/04/06 12:04 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
CentralCalifHawk Offline
Baby Jay

My first take is that when the football team consistently sells out Memorial Stadium, then maybe there should be serious talk of seat expansion/taking out the track.

I think building a separate (and top notch, state of the art) track facility would be a plus...but I would hope it would be on the main campus. I know in the 90s there was some talk if building a track/soccer complex on West Campus (not sure if that would be great or not).

#14980 - 12/04/06 12:09 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: CentralCalifHawk]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

I see your point about selling out the seats first and I agree, but a part of me feels that making these changes and making it a football only site would show a level of commitment to the f-ball program (as well as the track program) and help in recruiting for both sports. It would also increase the game day atmosphere and intimidation factor at Memorial also further impressing recruits. I like your track/soccer idea and in a different l;ocation but read this artlice...it talks about how the location and view from the hill play a large role in the KU relays and that is important for the track? Is this the case? Here is the link:

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2005/apr/22/woodling_memorial_stadium/

#14981 - 12/04/06 12:11 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

I believe that making these changes would help create a better product on the field and on the track.

#14982 - 12/04/06 02:30 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
CentralCalifHawk Offline
Baby Jay

Great point on the view of the hill. I'm not sure if that's a deal killer or not...you'd have to ask some of KU track alums who post on this board..what their take on it is. One criticism about Memorial from a track perspective...is that the stadium is so huge..compared to who actually attends the meets..that a 15-20K stadium for track might make more sense...and it might create more of a fun and exciting atmosphere for all who are involved. I've been to the Olympic Trials in Sacramento (on the campus of Sac State)...and I bet that stadium doesn't seat more than 20-25k (it could even be smaller)...yet the facilities...and the atmosphere is top notch. Great place to go to a meet.

#14983 - 12/04/06 02:32 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: CentralCalifHawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
if the tracksters are in it for the scenery, join the CC team.

that is just a joke, by the way.

CentralCali makes a good point, a smaller venue would give it a more exciting feel.

#14984 - 12/04/06 04:39 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: tubby]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I'm a track alum (though not influential ($)), and have long thought that a track / soccer facility is the way to go. BUT -- only if KU is able to do it right. This means 15,000 seats (with ability to bring in temp seating for at least 5,000 more), a non-crowned infield (crucial for both soccer and throws events), and adequate bathroom/locker facilities. Make it a place suitable for NCAA, KSHSAA, and summer track/soccer events.

The Relays are too important to the University as a whole (not just the athletic dept.) to let them nearly die off again, and I don't Hemingway would let that happen. Bringing a few thousand HS kids to campus in late April is a great recruiting tool.

Edited by kmcg (12/04/06 04:40 PM)

#14985 - 12/04/06 05:46 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

KMCG,

This is all interesting feedback. SO you think that a track and field/soccer is a good thing. You also say that the Relays are too important to lose. The KUAD says that the view from the hill is also a big thing for the Relays. Do you think this is the case? The track would obviously not be removed until their is a new facility, but in your estimation would moving the Relays from Memorial "kill" the Relays? With the football facility going up and 2 practice fields clearing space, there is going to be a heckuva lot of real estate opened up for these possibilities.

#14986 - 12/05/06 02:00 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

I don't see moving the Relays from Memorial as being that great a hindrance. Yes, the view is beautiful, but Memorial is a substandard venue for track and field.

IF (and it's a big if) a quality, championship-quality track/soccer stadium was built (with the above-mentioned guidelines, at least) behind AFH/Anschutz, I think the Relays could come out stronger than they are now. It's not the view that brings the majority of fans to the Relays -- it's the great HS and Elite fields. I tend to think that a new facility could also help grow the collegiate portion to the point that it's not a glorified KU intersquad meet.

All that said, the Kansas Relays are just a meet. I am FAR more concerned with the success of Kansas Track and Field and Cross Country. While the Relays do serve as a nice recruiting tool for the track team, I tend to think a top-notch track facility would be even more desireable to an elite HS recruit.

#14987 - 12/05/06 07:28 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
MOHAWK Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
I agree that a top-notch facility is important but do you think there is enough room behind AFH?

I think that the West Campus is the only place that has enough room.

#14988 - 12/06/06 08:42 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: MOHAWK]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

I definitely think there is enough room. The football team is moving its practice fields over by the stadium, which leaves that space open for other projects....It is this reason why I think (optimistically) that Lew already has this in the works.

#14989 - 12/06/06 01:21 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Actually, looking at it on Google Maps, I'll agree there might not be enough room.

#14990 - 12/06/06 08:59 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Colorado
I would not veto a move into a track and field complex that could also accomodate soccer. In fact, I think there is some upside. It would be nice to have a 400M track and it would be nice to have a 9 or 10 lane track.

The extra lanes and a fancy facility could help bring additional meets (USATF) to Lawrence and by association raise the profile of the program.

I also agree with KMCG, he is right a lot of the time, you know, on the take to get more collegiate teams in. Although Tim W has told me that many teams want $$$ to come.

#14991 - 12/06/06 09:44 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: rockymtnjhawk]
bbehrens Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Mission, KS
I am all for moving the track out of the stadium if they actually take the time and effort to build a quality facility. I don't think it even needs to be quite as large as the one Texas has, but obviously big enough to handle a Relays weekend. My opinion has always been that the area behind AFH is the perfect location for the facility, assuming there is enough room there, because it would be on campus and close to training room facilities,etc that the team needs.

I guess it is wait and see at this point, because if near AFH is the best spot then nothing can happen until the new FB facilities are built. In the meantime though, I wouldn't argue against seeing a new track surface installed at the stadium.

#14992 - 12/07/06 08:41 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: bbehrens]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Quote:

I wouldn't argue against seeing a new track surface installed at the stadium.

That at the very least needs to happen, but I'm not so sure it wouldn't be almost as big a job as digging up the whole field. I'm guessing there would need to be a complete overhaul of the subsurface in order to weed out the soft spots that plague the current facility.

Edited by kmcg (12/07/06 08:53 AM)

#14993 - 12/07/06 07:25 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
The_Vock Offline
big, brave man

Loc: Roeland Park, KS
I think the best solution is to keep the track in Memorial, but stop this silly tradition of laying down a subgrade, token track. KU should invest the money into constructing a top-quality track surface rather than this stupidity of a track/soccer complex. If KU had a good, solid Mondo surface track in Memorial, the place could become a consistent site of the Big 12 track meet (like Nebraska has become for the indoor Big 12 meet) and a contender for the NCAA meet. That's my view. Either way, the track belongs in the football stadium. To move it to some underconstructed soccer/track complex (that's ALWAYS how they turn out) keep it in the stadium.

#14994 - 12/08/06 08:46 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: The_Vock]
hail2oldku Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

To move it to some underconstructed soccer/track complex (that's ALWAYS how they turn out) keep it in the stadium.

Not ALWAYS, but of course this is Texas I'm talking about

#14995 - 12/08/06 09:02 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: hail2oldku]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Name just 1 other division 1 football program with a track around the football stadium besides Duke, whose got an enrollment of like 2000 people. Vock you said it yourself...it is a FOOTBALL stadium, lets treat it like one.

#14996 - 12/08/06 10:59 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Name just 1 other division 1 football program with a track around the football stadium besides Duke, whose got an enrollment of like 2000 people. Vock you said it yourself...it is a FOOTBALL stadium, lets treat it like one.

Washington.

#14997 - 12/09/06 01:13 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

True, Washington has a track and so does Boise State.....my question therefore should have been to name 3....we'll say 5 stadiums...Ivy League not included.

#14998 - 12/09/06 03:53 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
CentralCalifHawk Offline
Baby Jay

LA Coliseum...doesn't seem to bother SC. Not on campus, but directly across the street.

#14999 - 12/09/06 08:49 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: CentralCalifHawk]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Track hasn't been in the LA Coliseum for quite some time:

http://www.lacoliseum.com/

#15000 - 12/09/06 02:29 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Saguaro_Jayhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Even Stanford finally got rid of their track around the football stadium last summer.

#15001 - 12/09/06 03:37 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Saguaro_Jayhawk]
Sogrady Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:

Even Stanford finally got rid of their track around the football stadium last summer.

Why follow suit?

I'd like to think KU prides itself on its history, or else the Phog would be replaced with a 40,000 seat Pizza Shuttle Arena.

The uniqueness of the Relays is a bigger stadium, a helluva lot of history, Jumbotron, huge crowd, crappy track.

Why change everything when fixing one thing (not a small project by any stretch of the imagination, given scheduling, cost, other athletic dept priorities; but much smaller than planning a new soccer/track facility)?

Putting the right amount of money into a state of the art track really beefs up KU track's resume for hosting larger meets, ie regional and possibly NCAA.

Its not like Lawrence is centrally located or anything

#15002 - 12/09/06 04:20 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Saguaro_Jayhawk]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Stanford already had an international-class track facility completed before the construction at the football stadium began.

I tend to agree that staying in the stadium might be the best thing for the Relays, but I don't necessarily think that what is best for the Relays is also best for the track program.

#15003 - 12/09/06 06:53 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Good point kmcg, also, what is best for the Relays is also not best for the football program...The Relays and the track is a parasite on the football program. How long is 1 weekend of the Relays going to hold the university hostage. Oh, and the chain link fence that closes off the track...lets not touch that either...that just breathes history and tradition.

#15004 - 12/10/06 09:01 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Sogrady]
Saguaro_Jayhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

I would rather see it done for the benefit of the football program.

The way Memorial Stadium [KMS] is now, the bottom 6-8 rows are limited view because of the track buffer. If we could do like ASU did at Sun Devil stadium, lowering the playing surface and adding a minimal number of lower rows, then it would be a benefit not just for the fans in those lower seats, but also the team as it should make for a louder game experience.

ASU had to do theirs as their upper soil profile was ruined [serious compaction] from holding too many large concerts there.

Stanford spent at least $90 Million [never saw the final number] to remove their track and seriously reconfigure the seats. They actually downsized their football seating capacity from 86K to 50K.

Their construction cost$ were modest compared to what it would cost Kansas to do a similar project. SU's football stadium is similar to KSU's in that it's in a trench as the stands are on a built up soil subsurface. Thus, there isn't nearly as much concrete to bust out and pour like there is at KMS if we would get rid of the arc in the grandstands beyond the north end zone.

Ideally, I would like to see a new T&F facility more in line with what U of O has with Hayward Field -- a covered grandstand with seating capacity in the range of 11K to 15K.

#15005 - 12/10/06 03:13 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Saguaro_Jayhawk]
The_Vock Offline
big, brave man

Loc: Roeland Park, KS
Way to be dramatic...The track holding the University hostage? Give me a break. The only thing that interferes with the football team being successful is the football team itself. The track doesn't create problem for watching the game at all. That's a total myth. If Memorial Stadium isn't a boistrous and intimidating facility to play football in, that's on the fans, not the track. Leave the track where it belongs, which is in the football stadium.

#15006 - 12/11/06 01:05 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: The_Vock]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Again Vock...you said it yourself AGAIN....its a football stadium just like you said, and by definition, it does not belong. And if the track does not create a problem for watching the game then why do the first 3 rows of the sidelines on the pressbox side go unoccupied. Is it just no shows? Just lazy fans not supporting the team? I want to know why they are empty.

#15007 - 12/11/06 01:58 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Saguaro...WOW..that Hayward Field is unbelievable...but that seems way over the top for what Ku could put up....It would be great but geesh..where would a monstrocity like that go? Could it fit where the 2 football practice fields are now? Here is a link:

http://www.goducks.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PAGE_ID=&ZID=52774&FLASH=NO

and you couldnt tell me that if KU got something close to this it wouldnt make the relays better.

#15008 - 12/14/06 05:06 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
peteprince Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I think if it is possible to move the track stadium to the AFH area, it would benefit the team greatly. I, like my fellow track alums, also am much more interested in improving the program than I am the Relays. Moving the team to behind AFH into a track specific facility would help the team out a lot, make logistics of practice easier - I think a high end facility would certainly help recruit.

It woulnd't hurt the Relays, the HS parents might not like it as much, but the elite athlets and college teams trying to run a fast time would see it as an improvement. It most likely wouldn't be such a wind tunnel either. Kansas will never attract big time summer events because the weather is way too shaky. Colleges and elites go to California because the weather is perfect, not so in Kansas.

#15009 - 12/23/06 02:54 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
I certainly hope they remove it

#15010 - 12/30/06 09:57 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Ike]
jayhawkj0ck44 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
I don't know, I run at the relays adn like the atmosphere of M.S.The fan/parents are right there and I think it is pretty nice.

#15011 - 02/23/07 10:29 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: jayhawkj0ck44]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

I would definitely like to resurrect this thread....I want that track out..and I want a badass state of the art Olympic facilty placed somewhere on a nice plot of land right in the middle of campus. This would do wonders for our track team AND football team.

#15012 - 12/02/09 10:02 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: SD
Is there still any talk of this happening?

#15013 - 12/04/09 01:08 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: b]
theno1kufan Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence, KS
no

#15014 - 12/07/09 06:25 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: theno1kufan]
JHAWKinKY Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Back Where I Belong
I hope they remove track and field from everything, including Memorial Stadium.

#15015 - 12/11/09 03:34 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: JHAWKinKY]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I hope they don't track mud in from the field. Mizzuz Chancellor will be pissed.

#15016 - 04/18/10 08:02 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's my understanding that the fb coaches' buyout, the need to spend some $ on tennis (who lost their facility) and another expense has put the new facility on hold. It would be nice to find a booster with the cash to make the new facility happen.

#15017 - 04/23/10 01:56 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
Kuray Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Flatlander
Interesting subject. I returned to the relays again this year and this topic was high on the list of all the old track alums. There was a buffet for track alumns on Friday night and a breakfast for us Saturday morning. There was a nice turnout including Billy Mills making it back after a few years. Now, about the a new track facility. You all will remember when the plan was to build both a track facility and a soccer facility South West of the field house. Finally it became apparent that the area was not big enough for both fields. This has been dropped. The next plan was to have a combination facility in the same area. The plan was to but in new boxes at the stadium and the income from that would be the means of funding the track facility. That is now dead or on hold. I talked to some length with Redwine over the weekend, asking him where the school was on a "new track". His answer said volume, he doesn't know.

As far as moving the track from the stadium, there are a number of opinions on this. At the motel I stayed out a number of the meet officials stayed. It was interesting what their comments were on the track program at KU and the relays in particular. Another interesting thing was Iowa brought their whole team. Talked to their coach a lot. Anyway, the feeling from these people was that having a modern 400 meter track somewhere would not bring the relays back where they were in the 50's and 60's. Elite athletes will be heading to events with higher status. Bringing a full college track team to the Relays is very costly. We all did agree on one thing, the view is the best venue in the country.

So, taking the track out of the stadium will not provide more seating for football. The floor of the stadium is on bed rock on top of a water table, so no new seats by lowering the field. New Football coach who is not as anal about things as the, well you know who. My guess is the relays will continue to be held at memorial stadium until money can be found to build a new facility. This in my opinion will be really hard. The school came to my hometown for a meeting with some of the track alumns looking for money. With the crash of 08, no one felt it was time to commit personal finances in support of a plan that now has been scrapped.

#15018 - 05/04/10 12:01 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Kuray]
PhogPhanatic Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Practicing "the shot"
Well, there is something going on over in the SW corner of the proposed olympic village lot - just looks like dirt is being moved around. Not sure what it has to do with...

#15019 - 05/22/11 04:23 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: PhogPhanatic]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

Well, there is something going on over in the SW corner of the proposed olympic village lot - just looks like dirt is being moved around. Not sure what it has to do with...

I noticed that too.

#15020 - 05/23/12 10:12 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: b]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I read recently that Duke and Kansas are the only two division I programs that have their track around the football field.

#15021 - 05/30/12 11:49 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: b]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
KU's track tradition is superior to KU's football tradition. If we have any money to spend how about spending it on parking facilities for the stadium?

#15022 - 06/01/12 04:30 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: badair]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Can we make Memorial Stadium a track-only facility, then?

#15023 - 06/02/12 10:21 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
We could and we could also make Potters Lake the home of our swim team (once we remove the snapping turtles!). On the other hand I fail to see any great gain by removing the track from the stadium where Wes Santee, Al Oerter, Bill Neider, Billy Mills and dozens of other national and world champions added to KU's history in track and field. If we need to increase the fan capacity because of our "new" football promise I'm sure that a few elevators and engineers would be up to the task without ripping up the track. As for me I'm getting too old to park eight blocks away and limping into the stadium. I'd rather see us buy a few houses north of the stadium and convert them into parking for both football and track events. On the other hand I have been looking at a cross-country wheel chair which can jump curbs and climb stadium steps so if you're bound and determined to tear up the track I guess I could park down at AFH and still see most of the game.

#15024 - 06/06/12 09:48 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: badair]
Kuray Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Flatlander
It is still interesting that so many of the track folks keep talking about moving the program out of the stadium. It looks like there is a clear difference of opinion between the old guys and our younger group. I don't think anything has changed from the engineering finding a few years ago addressing the problem of the floor of the stadium is on bed rock and sits on a water table. I personally don't have a huge problem of having a track and field facility away from the stadium but there is no plan at the present. The last meeting with Lew before he "left" was his plan to build over on the West Campus. At least there was space. His plan was a ten thousand seat stadium available to be expanded if the need arises. The plan was like the Texas track where it would accommodate both track and soccer. No one I know has had a conversation with the new AD about this subject. For now, the track program will be in the stadium. The relays the past two years with events down town have been a success. I personally enjoy the relays being held in the stadium but then again, football and track here at KU don't blend. I am waiting to hear from the AD on this subject.

#15025 - 06/13/12 03:38 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Kuray]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Imagine how cool it would be to sit in the stands of a new track only facility and watch everything on the track plus all the throws?

Take advantage of the opportunity and get first rate surface that drains properly and allows for USATF meets. KU needs a track in meters and nine lanes. Having the shot, discus, javelin, and hammer in the stadium would be better for the viewer too.

I was always a track guy, but as an official, I have come to love the hammer and javelin!

I've been studying various track only facilities and more than ever think this is the way for KU to go.

As far as the football stadium goes, it needs more help than to remove the track. If we are going to whine about the track for football, then let's not stop there. The place is a dump and a crappy view. Scrape it and start over. Rebuild a tight stadium with private suites and a stacked upper deck to keep the noise in. Keep the south end open to view the hill.

#15026 - 06/18/12 12:12 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: rockymtnjhawk]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I think an oval track is kind a throwback to bygone eras; there is no real reason for them to ALL by thusly shaped. I'd like to see a new KU facility with a pie-shaped track.

#15027 - 06/22/12 12:48 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Quote:

I think an oval track is kind a throwback to bygone eras; there is no real reason for them to ALL by thusly shaped. I'd like to see a new KU facility with a pie-shaped track.

Pi shaped?

#15028 - 06/22/12 01:07 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Frankenhawk]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I guess it's true that you can't make a pie-shaped track without pi.

#15029 - 06/22/12 01:30 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Loc: TJ's Fanny Pack
Did someone say PI?

#15030 - 07/01/12 10:18 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: oreadical]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

So delicious.

#15031 - 07/01/12 10:22 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: oreadical]
KU76erfan Offline
Better than Liberace

Loc: Cygnus X-1

#15032 - 07/01/12 10:43 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: KU76erfan]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

#15033 - 07/01/12 10:51 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
KU76erfan Offline
Better than Liberace

Loc: Cygnus X-1
Take it easy, Higgy baby.

#15034 - 10/11/12 09:59 AM Rock Chalk Park [Re: Frankenhawk]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Town Talk

KU facilities proposed to be built as part of the first phase of the project include: a track and field stadium with 7,500 permanent seats and 2,500 temporary seats; a soccer field with 2,500 seats; and a softball field with 1,000 seats.

The article also discusses other plans, including a 40,000-square foot arena, a 4,000 seat amphitheater, the city’s 181,000 square foot recreation center/youth fieldhouse, eight tennis courts. Other KU facilities include locker rooms, press boxes, concession areas and other amenities, including a 15,000 square foot, two story “training facility.”

#15035 - 11/01/12 02:59 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: oreadical]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

#15036 - 11/01/12 09:51 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: oreadical]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

The image I posted above is an earlier rendition, reported in the LJW on October 12, drafted on October 2. Here is the full-sized image.

6 News, on October 23, reported a revised plan that was drafted October 9:

#15037 - 11/01/12 10:23 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: oreadical]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

#15038 - 11/02/12 12:02 AM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: oreadical]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

I REALLY like how the grandstand is shared by T&F, softball, and soccer. Seems like a really great way to maximize the space and probably more economical too.

#15039 - 11/02/12 08:04 AM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: Frankenhawk]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

The Hummer Sports Park in Topeka for the high school kids does that for the soccer and football fields.

#15040 - 11/12/12 12:01 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: oreadical]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

So. Any news on how this November 8th meeting went? I want so badly for this to move forward. I want the Memorial upgrades to happen as soon as possible, but just seeing some fancy drawings would be enough for me right now, lol.

#15041 - 11/12/12 03:53 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: Frankenhawk]
kumath Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Quote:

So. Any news on how this November 8th meeting went? I want so badly for this to move forward. I want the Memorial upgrades to happen as soon as possible, but just seeing some fancy drawings would be enough for me right now, lol.

I know how you feel. It seems like something has been in the works for a long time, but no information is being released.

#15042 - 11/14/12 12:03 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: kumath]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Town Talk

The deal isn’t quite sealed yet, but a majority of city commissioners clearly put the project on that path. Commissioners in the next several weeks will start reviewing contracts that will spell out the specifics of an agreement between the city and the Kansas University Endowment to build the project.

More in the article. Sounds like we won't get our pretty drawings of Memorial upgrades just yet

#15043 - 02/08/13 09:01 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: Frankenhawk]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

anything new on this yet?

#1967262 - 06/21/14 12:35 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: b]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Hey! I see there's something new on this.

#1971293 - 09/04/14 09:58 AM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: Buddy]
redrover Offline
friend2allNME2nun

what is it?

#1998128 - 11/15/15 07:57 AM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: Buddy]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

They are moving it.

#1999222 - 12/04/15 10:58 AM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: Buddy]
n00sh Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Mods-

Please move this thread to Hall of Fame.

Thx

#2001537 - 01/29/16 08:30 AM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: Buddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Hopefully we have a better FB stadium when removed.

#2003496 - 02/29/16 11:52 AM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: Buddy]
n00sh Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's a huge steaming brown pile of poo

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview