Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15008 - 12/14/06 05:06 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? * [Re: Buddy]
peteprince Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I think if it is possible to move the track stadium to the AFH area, it would benefit the team greatly. I, like my fellow track alums, also am much more interested in improving the program than I am the Relays. Moving the team to behind AFH into a track specific facility would help the team out a lot, make logistics of practice easier - I think a high end facility would certainly help recruit.

It woulnd't hurt the Relays, the HS parents might not like it as much, but the elite athlets and college teams trying to run a fast time would see it as an improvement. It most likely wouldn't be such a wind tunnel either. Kansas will never attract big time summer events because the weather is way too shaky. Colleges and elites go to California because the weather is perfect, not so in Kansas.

#15009 - 12/23/06 02:54 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Ike Offline
Tigger Hater

Loc: Indiana
I certainly hope they remove it

#15010 - 12/30/06 09:57 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Ike]
jayhawkj0ck44 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
I don't know, I run at the relays adn like the atmosphere of M.S.The fan/parents are right there and I think it is pretty nice.

#15011 - 02/23/07 10:29 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: jayhawkj0ck44]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Loc: United States
I would definitely like to resurrect this thread....I want that track out..and I want a badass state of the art Olympic facilty placed somewhere on a nice plot of land right in the middle of campus. This would do wonders for our track team AND football team.

#15012 - 12/02/09 10:02 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: SD
Is there still any talk of this happening?

#15013 - 12/04/09 01:08 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: b]
theno1kufan Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence, KS
no

#15014 - 12/07/09 06:25 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: theno1kufan]
JHAWKinKY Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Back Where I Belong
I hope they remove track and field from everything, including Memorial Stadium.

#15015 - 12/11/09 03:34 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: JHAWKinKY]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I hope they don't track mud in from the field. Mizzuz Chancellor will be pissed.

#15016 - 04/18/10 08:02 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Colorado
It's my understanding that the fb coaches' buyout, the need to spend some $ on tennis (who lost their facility) and another expense has put the new facility on hold. It would be nice to find a booster with the cash to make the new facility happen.

#15017 - 04/23/10 01:56 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
Kuray Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Flatlander
Interesting subject. I returned to the relays again this year and this topic was high on the list of all the old track alums. There was a buffet for track alumns on Friday night and a breakfast for us Saturday morning. There was a nice turnout including Billy Mills making it back after a few years. Now, about the a new track facility. You all will remember when the plan was to build both a track facility and a soccer facility South West of the field house. Finally it became apparent that the area was not big enough for both fields. This has been dropped. The next plan was to have a combination facility in the same area. The plan was to but in new boxes at the stadium and the income from that would be the means of funding the track facility. That is now dead or on hold. I talked to some length with Redwine over the weekend, asking him where the school was on a "new track". His answer said volume, he doesn't know.

As far as moving the track from the stadium, there are a number of opinions on this. At the motel I stayed out a number of the meet officials stayed. It was interesting what their comments were on the track program at KU and the relays in particular. Another interesting thing was Iowa brought their whole team. Talked to their coach a lot. Anyway, the feeling from these people was that having a modern 400 meter track somewhere would not bring the relays back where they were in the 50's and 60's. Elite athletes will be heading to events with higher status. Bringing a full college track team to the Relays is very costly. We all did agree on one thing, the view is the best venue in the country.

So, taking the track out of the stadium will not provide more seating for football. The floor of the stadium is on bed rock on top of a water table, so no new seats by lowering the field. New Football coach who is not as anal about things as the, well you know who. My guess is the relays will continue to be held at memorial stadium until money can be found to build a new facility. This in my opinion will be really hard. The school came to my hometown for a meeting with some of the track alumns looking for money. With the crash of 08, no one felt it was time to commit personal finances in support of a plan that now has been scrapped.

#15018 - 05/04/10 12:01 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Kuray]
PhogPhanatic Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Practicing "the shot"
Well, there is something going on over in the SW corner of the proposed olympic village lot - just looks like dirt is being moved around. Not sure what it has to do with...

#15019 - 05/22/11 04:23 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: PhogPhanatic]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Quote:

Well, there is something going on over in the SW corner of the proposed olympic village lot - just looks like dirt is being moved around. Not sure what it has to do with...

I noticed that too.

#15020 - 05/23/12 10:12 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: b]
b Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I read recently that Duke and Kansas are the only two division I programs that have their track around the football field.

#15021 - 05/30/12 11:49 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: b]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
KU's track tradition is superior to KU's football tradition. If we have any money to spend how about spending it on parking facilities for the stadium?

#15022 - 06/01/12 04:30 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: badair]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Can we make Memorial Stadium a track-only facility, then?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview