Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14993 - 12/07/06 07:25 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? * [Re: Buddy]
The_Vock Offline
big, brave man

Loc: Roeland Park, KS
I think the best solution is to keep the track in Memorial, but stop this silly tradition of laying down a subgrade, token track. KU should invest the money into constructing a top-quality track surface rather than this stupidity of a track/soccer complex. If KU had a good, solid Mondo surface track in Memorial, the place could become a consistent site of the Big 12 track meet (like Nebraska has become for the indoor Big 12 meet) and a contender for the NCAA meet. That's my view. Either way, the track belongs in the football stadium. To move it to some underconstructed soccer/track complex (that's ALWAYS how they turn out) keep it in the stadium.

#14994 - 12/08/06 08:46 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: The_Vock]
hail2oldku Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

To move it to some underconstructed soccer/track complex (that's ALWAYS how they turn out) keep it in the stadium.

Not ALWAYS, but of course this is Texas I'm talking about

#14995 - 12/08/06 09:02 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: hail2oldku]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Loc: United States
Name just 1 other division 1 football program with a track around the football stadium besides Duke, whose got an enrollment of like 2000 people. Vock you said it yourself...it is a FOOTBALL stadium, lets treat it like one.

#14996 - 12/08/06 10:59 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Quote:

Name just 1 other division 1 football program with a track around the football stadium besides Duke, whose got an enrollment of like 2000 people. Vock you said it yourself...it is a FOOTBALL stadium, lets treat it like one.

Washington.

#14997 - 12/09/06 01:13 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

True, Washington has a track and so does Boise State.....my question therefore should have been to name 3....we'll say 5 stadiums...Ivy League not included.

#14998 - 12/09/06 03:53 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
CentralCalifHawk Offline
Baby Jay

LA Coliseum...doesn't seem to bother SC. Not on campus, but directly across the street.

#14999 - 12/09/06 08:49 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: CentralCalifHawk]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Track hasn't been in the LA Coliseum for quite some time:

http://www.lacoliseum.com/

#15000 - 12/09/06 02:29 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Saguaro_Jayhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Even Stanford finally got rid of their track around the football stadium last summer.

#15001 - 12/09/06 03:37 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Saguaro_Jayhawk]
Sogrady Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:

Even Stanford finally got rid of their track around the football stadium last summer.

Why follow suit?

I'd like to think KU prides itself on its history, or else the Phog would be replaced with a 40,000 seat Pizza Shuttle Arena.

The uniqueness of the Relays is a bigger stadium, a helluva lot of history, Jumbotron, huge crowd, crappy track.

Why change everything when fixing one thing (not a small project by any stretch of the imagination, given scheduling, cost, other athletic dept priorities; but much smaller than planning a new soccer/track facility)?

Putting the right amount of money into a state of the art track really beefs up KU track's resume for hosting larger meets, ie regional and possibly NCAA.

Its not like Lawrence is centrally located or anything

#15002 - 12/09/06 04:20 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Saguaro_Jayhawk]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Quote:

Stanford already had an international-class track facility completed before the construction at the football stadium began.

I tend to agree that staying in the stadium might be the best thing for the Relays, but I don't necessarily think that what is best for the Relays is also best for the track program.

#15003 - 12/09/06 06:53 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Good point kmcg, also, what is best for the Relays is also not best for the football program...The Relays and the track is a parasite on the football program. How long is 1 weekend of the Relays going to hold the university hostage. Oh, and the chain link fence that closes off the track...lets not touch that either...that just breathes history and tradition.

#15004 - 12/10/06 09:01 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Sogrady]
Saguaro_Jayhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

I would rather see it done for the benefit of the football program.

The way Memorial Stadium [KMS] is now, the bottom 6-8 rows are limited view because of the track buffer. If we could do like ASU did at Sun Devil stadium, lowering the playing surface and adding a minimal number of lower rows, then it would be a benefit not just for the fans in those lower seats, but also the team as it should make for a louder game experience.

ASU had to do theirs as their upper soil profile was ruined [serious compaction] from holding too many large concerts there.

Stanford spent at least $90 Million [never saw the final number] to remove their track and seriously reconfigure the seats. They actually downsized their football seating capacity from 86K to 50K.

Their construction cost$ were modest compared to what it would cost Kansas to do a similar project. SU's football stadium is similar to KSU's in that it's in a trench as the stands are on a built up soil subsurface. Thus, there isn't nearly as much concrete to bust out and pour like there is at KMS if we would get rid of the arc in the grandstands beyond the north end zone.

Ideally, I would like to see a new T&F facility more in line with what U of O has with Hayward Field -- a covered grandstand with seating capacity in the range of 11K to 15K.

#15005 - 12/10/06 03:13 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Saguaro_Jayhawk]
The_Vock Offline
big, brave man

Loc: Roeland Park, KS
Way to be dramatic...The track holding the University hostage? Give me a break. The only thing that interferes with the football team being successful is the football team itself. The track doesn't create problem for watching the game at all. That's a total myth. If Memorial Stadium isn't a boistrous and intimidating facility to play football in, that's on the fans, not the track. Leave the track where it belongs, which is in the football stadium.

#15006 - 12/11/06 01:05 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: The_Vock]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Again Vock...you said it yourself AGAIN....its a football stadium just like you said, and by definition, it does not belong. And if the track does not create a problem for watching the game then why do the first 3 rows of the sidelines on the pressbox side go unoccupied. Is it just no shows? Just lazy fans not supporting the team? I want to know why they are empty.

#15007 - 12/11/06 01:58 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Saguaro...WOW..that Hayward Field is unbelievable...but that seems way over the top for what Ku could put up....It would be great but geesh..where would a monstrocity like that go? Could it fit where the 2 football practice fields are now? Here is a link:

http://www.goducks.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PAGE_ID=&ZID=52774&FLASH=NO

and you couldnt tell me that if KU got something close to this it wouldnt make the relays better.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview