Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#14978 - 12/03/06 11:50 PM Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? *
Buddy Offline
John Brown

Loc: United States
You guys get in on this thread. Keep in mind no one wants to get rid of the track and field teams. What does the track and field crowd see as a solution to this problem...it is a fact that the track and the stadium inhabiting the same space seems less than efficient and positive for both sports. The football stadium needs to be used only for football and a new track and field complex needs to be built. we need to keep up with the other schools in our conference...we are the only one with a track around our football stadium. What are your thoughts? Here is the thread:

http://boards.kusports.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=514195&an=0&page=0#514195

#14979 - 12/04/06 12:04 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
CentralCalifHawk Offline
Baby Jay

My first take is that when the football team consistently sells out Memorial Stadium, then maybe there should be serious talk of seat expansion/taking out the track.

I think building a separate (and top notch, state of the art) track facility would be a plus...but I would hope it would be on the main campus. I know in the 90s there was some talk if building a track/soccer complex on West Campus (not sure if that would be great or not).

#14980 - 12/04/06 12:09 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: CentralCalifHawk]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

I see your point about selling out the seats first and I agree, but a part of me feels that making these changes and making it a football only site would show a level of commitment to the f-ball program (as well as the track program) and help in recruiting for both sports. It would also increase the game day atmosphere and intimidation factor at Memorial also further impressing recruits. I like your track/soccer idea and in a different l;ocation but read this artlice...it talks about how the location and view from the hill play a large role in the KU relays and that is important for the track? Is this the case? Here is the link:

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2005/apr/22/woodling_memorial_stadium/

#14981 - 12/04/06 12:11 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

I believe that making these changes would help create a better product on the field and on the track.

#14982 - 12/04/06 02:30 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
CentralCalifHawk Offline
Baby Jay

Great point on the view of the hill. I'm not sure if that's a deal killer or not...you'd have to ask some of KU track alums who post on this board..what their take on it is. One criticism about Memorial from a track perspective...is that the stadium is so huge..compared to who actually attends the meets..that a 15-20K stadium for track might make more sense...and it might create more of a fun and exciting atmosphere for all who are involved. I've been to the Olympic Trials in Sacramento (on the campus of Sac State)...and I bet that stadium doesn't seat more than 20-25k (it could even be smaller)...yet the facilities...and the atmosphere is top notch. Great place to go to a meet.

#14983 - 12/04/06 02:32 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: CentralCalifHawk]
tubby Offline
Nooshie!!!

Loc: outside the box
if the tracksters are in it for the scenery, join the CC team.

that is just a joke, by the way.

CentralCali makes a good point, a smaller venue would give it a more exciting feel.

#14984 - 12/04/06 04:39 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: tubby]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
I'm a track alum (though not influential ($)), and have long thought that a track / soccer facility is the way to go. BUT -- only if KU is able to do it right. This means 15,000 seats (with ability to bring in temp seating for at least 5,000 more), a non-crowned infield (crucial for both soccer and throws events), and adequate bathroom/locker facilities. Make it a place suitable for NCAA, KSHSAA, and summer track/soccer events.

The Relays are too important to the University as a whole (not just the athletic dept.) to let them nearly die off again, and I don't Hemingway would let that happen. Bringing a few thousand HS kids to campus in late April is a great recruiting tool.

Edited by kmcg (12/04/06 04:40 PM)

#14985 - 12/04/06 05:46 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

KMCG,

This is all interesting feedback. SO you think that a track and field/soccer is a good thing. You also say that the Relays are too important to lose. The KUAD says that the view from the hill is also a big thing for the Relays. Do you think this is the case? The track would obviously not be removed until their is a new facility, but in your estimation would moving the Relays from Memorial "kill" the Relays? With the football facility going up and 2 practice fields clearing space, there is going to be a heckuva lot of real estate opened up for these possibilities.

#14986 - 12/05/06 02:00 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

I don't see moving the Relays from Memorial as being that great a hindrance. Yes, the view is beautiful, but Memorial is a substandard venue for track and field.

IF (and it's a big if) a quality, championship-quality track/soccer stadium was built (with the above-mentioned guidelines, at least) behind AFH/Anschutz, I think the Relays could come out stronger than they are now. It's not the view that brings the majority of fans to the Relays -- it's the great HS and Elite fields. I tend to think that a new facility could also help grow the collegiate portion to the point that it's not a glorified KU intersquad meet.

All that said, the Kansas Relays are just a meet. I am FAR more concerned with the success of Kansas Track and Field and Cross Country. While the Relays do serve as a nice recruiting tool for the track team, I tend to think a top-notch track facility would be even more desireable to an elite HS recruit.

#14987 - 12/05/06 07:28 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
MOHAWK Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
I agree that a top-notch facility is important but do you think there is enough room behind AFH?

I think that the West Campus is the only place that has enough room.

#14988 - 12/06/06 08:42 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: MOHAWK]
Buddy Offline
John Brown

I definitely think there is enough room. The football team is moving its practice fields over by the stadium, which leaves that space open for other projects....It is this reason why I think (optimistically) that Lew already has this in the works.

#14989 - 12/06/06 01:21 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Buddy]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Actually, looking at it on Google Maps, I'll agree there might not be enough room.

#14990 - 12/06/06 08:59 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: kmcg]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Colorado
I would not veto a move into a track and field complex that could also accomodate soccer. In fact, I think there is some upside. It would be nice to have a 400M track and it would be nice to have a 9 or 10 lane track.

The extra lanes and a fancy facility could help bring additional meets (USATF) to Lawrence and by association raise the profile of the program.

I also agree with KMCG, he is right a lot of the time, you know, on the take to get more collegiate teams in. Although Tim W has told me that many teams want $$$ to come.

#14991 - 12/06/06 09:44 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: rockymtnjhawk]
bbehrens Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Mission, KS
I am all for moving the track out of the stadium if they actually take the time and effort to build a quality facility. I don't think it even needs to be quite as large as the one Texas has, but obviously big enough to handle a Relays weekend. My opinion has always been that the area behind AFH is the perfect location for the facility, assuming there is enough room there, because it would be on campus and close to training room facilities,etc that the team needs.

I guess it is wait and see at this point, because if near AFH is the best spot then nothing can happen until the new FB facilities are built. In the meantime though, I wouldn't argue against seeing a new track surface installed at the stadium.

#14992 - 12/07/06 08:41 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: bbehrens]
kmcg Offline
John Brown

Quote:

I wouldn't argue against seeing a new track surface installed at the stadium.

That at the very least needs to happen, but I'm not so sure it wouldn't be almost as big a job as digging up the whole field. I'm guessing there would need to be a complete overhaul of the subsurface in order to weed out the soft spots that plague the current facility.

Edited by kmcg (12/07/06 08:53 AM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview