Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#148492 - 06/20/07 09:49 AM Flubs - White Flag?
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
Cubs traded Barrett to the Padres for a dozen baseballs.

Chicago Cubs catcher Michael Barrett was traded to the San Diego Padres on Wednesday, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In return the Cubs will receive backup catcher Rob Bowen, a minor league outfielder and cash considerations, Olney reports.

Barrett has made headlines this season for arguing with Cubs pitchers in the dugout on two occasions this month and struggling on defense at times this season.

Last week, Lou Piniella said Barrett's playing time would be reduced in the coming weeks, though the Cubs manager said it had nothing to do with Barrett clashing with his teammates.

Barrett was involved in a dugout confrontation, shoving match and then a clubhouse brawl with starter Carlos Zambrano during a game earlier this month, then had what was characterized as a heated discussion with starter Rich Hill in the fourth inning of a June 12 loss to Seattle.

Barrett also was involved in a much-replayed fight with A.J. Pierzynski in a May 2006 interleague game. Barrett landed a punch to the right jaw of Pierzynski after the White Sox catcher ran him over at home plate in what both teams said was a clean play. Barrett later received a 10-game suspension while Pierzynski was fined.

Incidentally, the trade partners were involved in a benches-clearing brawl Saturday.

Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee and Padres right-hander Chris Young were both suspended five games apiece and fined Monday for trading punches. Lee was hit in the forearm by a pitch from Young that appeared to be headed toward Lee's head. Lee walked to first, had words with the pitcher, then threw a punch. Young swung back and the benches emptied.

Barrett is hitting .256 with nine home runs and 29 RBIs for the Cubs. San Diego's regular catcher, Josh Bard, is hitting .253 with two homers and 19 RBIs.

Bowen has appeared in 30 games and is hitting .268 (22-for-82) with two home runs and 11 RBIs. In a recent start June 17 against the Cubs, he went 2-for-4 with a home run.

The Cubs and the Padres do not meet again in the regular season.

#148493 - 06/20/07 10:11 AM Re: Flubs - White Flag? [Re: larryb]
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

Barrett is the fall guy for the Cubs. It came down to him or Piniella.

I heard on the radio last week that following the scuffle with Rich Hill, and following his inability to field a throw on an easy out at the plate against the Marlins in an extra-inning loss, that he was going to be thrown under the bus.

This might not be a bad thing. I heard so many people talk about how Barrett was one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet, but when it came time to get on the field he was a completely different guy. I don't think the pitcher's trusted him anymore.

I think it was a no-brainer.

#148494 - 06/20/07 10:28 AM Re: Flubs - White Flag? [Re: chiknbut]
larryb Offline
Gutter

Loc: Work
He played like he wanted out of Chicago. Something just didn't seem right with him starting last year. I wonder if he will continue to donate money to Derrick Lee's daughters chairity after hitting each home run?

Preview