Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1385 - 03/30/04 09:31 PM Interesting nuggets *****
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

For those who are more interested in Lester Earl's potential never being actualized, this post may not be of any interest. But be sure to look for my "Lane Czaplinski, T.J. Whatley, Macolm Nash, Eric Pauley, Jelani Janisse, and Freeman West: Where are they now?" thread coming soon. An added bonus will be the "Finnish Sensation: Pekka Markannen" thread.

Anyway, some cool KU nuggets that all true fans love to know......

-KU has been a #1 seed 6 times in the tourney all-time. This is 4th most behind Duke (8), UK (8), and UNC (7).

-KU has been ranked in 145 consecutive polls, 7th most in history.

-"Basketball News" ranked KU the second best program in the nation over the past 20 years (behind Duke).

-Kansas had the highest winning percentage in the 1990s

-From 1994-97, KU was ranked #1 at some point. That seasonal span is the 3rd longest in history.

-KU has been in 6 FFs since 1986, 2nd highest total (Duke #1 with 10)

-KU is 72-33 alltime in the tourney, 6th highest winning percentage and 5th highest win total in history. The 105 games is the 4th highest number of games any team has ever played in the tourney (however, Duke ties us Saturday when they play).

-KU has been to 12 FFs, 5th highest total ever

-KU is 3-2 versus Duke alltime in the tourney

#1386 - 03/30/04 09:41 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
vlp66 Offline
Baby Jay

great post!! you should send it to teggert person who said KU wasn't a basketball dynasty....lol

#1387 - 03/30/04 11:01 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
jhawk_dawg Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
We are the Masters of Close But Not Quite Often Enough.

I do like that last stat, though.

It's too bad St. John's hasn't made the Final in, what is it, 52 years?

Now, if you'd be so kind as to share your resource, I would be most grateful.

I like digging through pages and pages of records.

edit: Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, KU's all-time record is skewed by the defunct consolation game for 3rd & 4th place. They dropped that after it became apparent all but one of the best teams would get not one more loss, but possibly two to end the season. Wussies.

Edited by jhawk_dawg (03/30/04 11:07 PM)

#1388 - 03/30/04 11:05 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jhawk_dawg]
jensen Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Charleston, SC
go to ncaa.com
there are tons of records books listed

#1389 - 03/30/04 11:18 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jensen]
jhawk_dawg Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
I'd just like to see people list their source in case there's one I haven't already seen. Got a handful of the NCAA Record Books bookmarked, and Infoplease, and some others, but am always looking for new or updated sites to wander through.

Latest Version

Edited by jhawk_dawg (03/30/04 11:19 PM)

#1390 - 03/30/04 11:33 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
You must be Rush Limbaugh's fact checker. KU has lost to Duke three times in the NCAA's since 1986. We can't be 3-2 against them.

BTW what award to we get for that "most wins in the '90s? From 94-97 we were ranked #1 at some point, but not at the point that mattered.

So, Richard, what is the only team to twice have four first round NBA picks on the same team and not make the final four? What team followed one of those years by having three first rounders the next season and not making it again?

Who was the first team to record 1,000 victories?

#1391 - 03/31/04 08:25 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Indeed I made an error. In doing research for the asinine Bring your own refs if you play Duke at home thread, I found these "interesting nuggets" on Duke's men's bball website. Instead of Kansas being 3-2 alltime against Duke in the tourney, we are 2-3. Surely Pukey you can understand my making an error as your posts are wrought with them. I never claimed to be infallible, just got a little excited and backwards when I was on Duke's website. I am flattered that your standard is so high for me, Pukey.

The rest of your post baffles me. Are you a Kansas fan or not? What do we get for having the highest winning percentage in the 90s? Well, for one Pukey, the distinction. And with that comes honor and pride in your team. Did I propose that we "get" something for having won a lot of games, or did I merely just share a few facts about the Hawks that maybe some people would be interested in? You are a joke, Pukey.

#1392 - 03/31/04 08:29 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
KUBowler99 Offline
Carries 15lb balls

Loc: Jaybowl, Lane 13
RH-

The stat I question is the 145 consecutive polls...is that current or at some point in the past?

TIA

KUBowler

#1393 - 03/31/04 08:39 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: KUBowler99]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

That is not current, it is from the old Williams era between 1991-1999. However, we are currently at about 75 consecutive polls, the second longest current streak behind Duke at about 150 consecutive polls.

Amazingly, Williams had KU in the Top 25 in 242 of 268 weekly polls during his tenure at Kansas, ranked in the Top 10 for 194 polls. We have been ranked #1 7 different times since 1990, and reached at least #2 in the nation 12 times in that period.

#1394 - 03/31/04 01:07 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

So, richie, who was the first team to win 1,000 games? It should be easy to research.

#1395 - 03/31/04 01:31 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Pukey, I could give a hoot. If it's such a burning question you have, you figure it out. My intent was not to list every little factoid about KU bball, but rather just some interesting anecdotes that I came across.

You really need to get a life.

#1396 - 03/31/04 07:00 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

In all levels it was Wyandotte HS in KCK. At the collegiate level it is muddled but was either KU or UK. Still haven't found the trophy for most wins in the 90's. Maybe Roy took it with him.

#1397 - 03/31/04 07:17 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

That's great. Keep looking for that trophy, it may show up. Or you might just settle on being proud of your team. If you need the validation of a trophy though, you may be disappointed.

By the way, what's your boner for 1000 wins? It's just a number, for a guy that could care less about win totals in the 90s I wouldn't think 1000 wins would mean squat.

#1398 - 03/31/04 07:20 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
kuilander Offline
WangBurgered

Loc: larryville
puke, why are you being such a tool? move on. head, i appreciate the nuggets and i'm proud of all of them .. except that 2-3 thing.

#1399 - 03/31/04 07:27 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: kuilander]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Yeah, you can imagine how I felt seeing Duke's record of 3-2 against us and then just getting mixed up and thinking I was on KU's website and it was actually 3-2 in favor of the Hawks. Oh well. I'd edit that "nugget" out of the post, but at this point it really is necessary to understand how the "interesting nuggets" post was hijacked by a bitter, disgruntled fan.

cheers!

#1400 - 03/31/04 08:03 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
jhawk1979 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Red Stick, Louisiana
I'm one of the biggest Jayhawks fans you'll ever find, have been for over 40 years through thick and thin. But when I see that "We're the winningest team in the 90's crap" and all those other stats, it makes me want to puke.

It looks like we're searching the stats hard for something to brag about, because we sure as hell can't brag about winning the big one except twice over the last 52 years. I don't know how many times I've been told that by non-Jayhawk fans.

Non-Jayhawk fans just laugh at that stuff. I'd rather sit quiet and wait and brag about winning National Championships.

#1401 - 03/31/04 09:24 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jhawk1979]
marcion Offline
Prairie Warrior

I haven't been "searching the stats", but during the McD Allstar game tonight, I saw that UNC has had 43 MDAA's and ranked first in that area. Next was Duke and another school, then at fourth (?) was Kansas with 22. We can all see how much MDAA's can help a team.

#1402 - 04/01/04 08:25 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jhawk1979]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

You are not a true fan. You need that validation of winning 6 games and getting a trophy to make you feel good about KU bball. While I am not saying that I don't really want NCs, being dominant for years at a time--decades--is the mark of a truly powerful and traditional program. Winning an NC simply takes a a bit of luck and 6 game win streak at the end of one year. If the fact that KU wins a lot of games makes you want to Puke, you better check your KU bball pulse...you're dead already.

So sit there and wait to win those NCs. Your life as far as being a basketball fan will be really boring.

#1403 - 04/01/04 12:00 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
elan71 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
i agree with what you are saying! i would be a kansas fan no matter if we won 30 games or 3 games. yes, winning national championships are great, come on, who doesn't think so. but it doesn't take one to make me proud of kansas basketball! i'll always be proud of kansas basketball!
"one beaker for another" philippians 4:13

#1404 - 04/01/04 12:10 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
RManFlint Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Korova Milkbar
Here's a cool site. Hoopstournament.net

#1405 - 04/01/04 01:05 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Our AD would say that you, Dickhead, are not a true fan. Where is your love for football, baseball, women's bball, volleyball, soccer etc. You are nothing but a bball bandwagoner.

#1406 - 04/01/04 01:10 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Show me where it says that in order to be a KU bball fan you have to be a fan of other sports? Nice try, Pukey, but I was making the point that you and 79 aren't true bball fans with all your [censored] and whining. As far as other sports, I have no idea how that affects our discussion of bball.

By the way,
I am a huge football fan.
I am a baseball fan.
I used to be a huge men's swimming fan, but some AD was such a doofus that he ended up having to cut the program.

Keep trying, lard arse.

#1407 - 04/01/04 01:14 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
jensen Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Why do you feel the need to tell people they are fans? What purpose does that serve? I have read about 1550 of Richard's post and it is evident that he cares about KU.

#1408 - 04/01/04 01:20 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jensen]
elan71 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
cause he's trying to start a pissing contest!
"one beaker for another" philippians 4:13

#1409 - 04/01/04 06:16 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
jhawk1979 Offline
Baby Jay

Once again Dick Head, you missed the point. You're so frickin analytical that you just don't get it. You try to zero in on something, twist it, anything to make your point.

I DON'T NEED 6 WINS IN A ROW AND A TROPHY TO FEEL GOOD ABOUT KUBBALL. If that's the case, I would have been gone long, long ago. Remember, 2 NC's in 52 years? And only one in my lifetime. That's 47 years pal.

AND WINNING A LOT OF GAMES DOESN'T MAKE ME WANT TO PUKE. ITS THE DAMN BRAGGIN THAT MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE. Not winning the games.

If you look at my posts, which I could care less if you do, I have loved the Jayhawks through thick and thin, long before you were around. Hell when I lived in Kansas, I used to go to every game, every season, even when we were barely breakin 500. I used to go to all the Jayhawk Classics during Christmas breaks when AFH was a ghost town.

So don't tell me about about not being a true fan. I wonder how true of a fan YOU would be under those circumstances. I bet you'd be long gone given a few 15-15 seasons.

#1410 - 04/01/04 06:18 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: elan71]
jhawk1979 Offline
Baby Jay

And you missed it too Elan

#1411 - 04/01/04 08:44 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jensen]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Nota has been hanging out on www.ihateroywilliams.com for too long. He is practically spewing jlions stuff verbatum.

#1412 - 04/01/04 09:57 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: MICHHAWK]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Actually, didn't know it exists. You know where I hang out, you used to as well. Just call me one of those who came to realize that beating Washburn, Pitt State, Emporia, Hays and the Big XII pre 2002 wasn't that big a deal. Every year we'd talk about how wonderful it was, how great the ride was, how it was like family. Well, it wasn't. It was all about the guy from North Carolina. He felt so wonderful about KU that he refused to recruit east of the Mississippi. Glad he is gone.

The rest of the basketball world hears "most wins in the 90's" and chuckles. Its sort of like almost being pregnant. Wins are nice, but at the end of the day what did it mean? We are known as the Phil Micklesons of college basketball. My thoughts are that we now have a coach who gives a shi7 about KANSAS. We don't need nuggets from the last decade to feel good about Kansas Basketball.

#1413 - 04/01/04 11:08 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
spathos Offline
Lost in Aussieland

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I see your point about KU's 'highest win percentage in the 90s' being worth about as much as KSU's 'decade of dominance', but what are we going to, do fire the guy who wins >90% of his games because he can't win the big one? I guess if we were Nebraska we'd consider it.

Finals Fours and Big 8/12 championships are great, and KU has more than a few of those. It's not about the nuggets or the national championships for me anyways, it's the atmosphere, the fans, and the players. The coach comes like 4-5th, even the really great ones like Phog Allen.

Spathos

#1414 - 04/02/04 08:36 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jhawk1979]
yomang Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I think that it is time to recycle a post that was written by one of the most respected and most well liked former posters on this board, Copperhead. Frankly it hits the nail on the head regarding this situation.

In reply to:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For at least the better part of a year you've worn the various hats of attack dog, prankster, moderator harasser and sadistic bully - especially to posters of lesser intellect.
You've posted the private address & phone number of someone completely unrelated to this board and more or less made participation here singularly unpleasant.
You make sport of my post number and some sort of imagined sycophantic following I've amassed. If you'd stayed with one screen name longer than a day, I figure you'd be in the thousands as well - and have as many enemies as I've made friends. No secret formula - I'm a nice guy and you are not.
Now, inexplicably, you're adopting the persona of nice guy basketball expert who just wants to exchange opinions with the peanut gallery. Knowing you as long as I have, all I can think of is - OK, here's the bait, when do we get the switch?
I suppose thanks are in order for running most of the regulars off to a private board - someplace far less stressful than one which tolerates the daily nonsense you've provided here.
With everything you've been responsible for over all these months, the fact that you can't understand why the moderators pick on you is beyond delusional.
One thing for sure - you've finally found a screen name that's truth in advertizing. I hope you wear it for a long time to let people know exactly what they're getting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought perhaps that you could behave Richardhead, but I have grown sick of you continually demeaning others on this board.

#1415 - 04/02/04 09:09 AM Re: hijacked thread [Re: yomang]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Pay attention newcomers: don't follow the lead of the mods.

And Yo...you are a loser. Band together when you have a hard time dealing with me one-on-one. If you can't stand the heat, getcha ass out the kitchen!

#1416 - 04/02/04 09:17 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: spathos]
jayhawkfox Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: born in lawrence
Speaking of Nebraska.....
I heard a rumour at my local drinking establishment here in Des Moines a couple of days ago that Solich was let go due to a pregnant young lady he was hiding.
I heard this from a couple of Nebraska fans. Don't know if it's true or not, so take with a grain of salt. Does make a little sense concerning a 9-3 season though.

#1417 - 04/02/04 09:23 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jayhawkfox]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

My fiancee's gyno in Virginia (huge UNC fan, did his residency there) that Roy kept a house in Chapel Hill all these years that no one knew about. I told him that was BS, but he was adamant about it. Both prob. just rumors.

#1418 - 04/03/04 04:50 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
jensen Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Well Roy still has a house in Lawrence. I think they just knocked down the list price.

NAP- I have fought the urge to agree with you on this topic, but your last post made complete sense to me and I am pissed about it. Thanks for ruining my day. Just kidding.

#1419 - 04/03/04 05:38 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
TambraH Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: Great Bend Ks.
Heard something last nite about a player at UNC. HEsupposedly accepted money from a tourney he played in the summer before his freshman year. not sure if the NCAA will investigate or if the university will handle internally. the story supposedly broke yesterday in the Raleigh newspaper. will let you know if I hear more.

#1420 - 04/03/04 11:30 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: TambraH]
MetalliJoe Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

The NCAA doesn't make Dook follow the rules...why would they make UNC?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview