Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1385 - 03/30/04 09:31 PM Interesting nuggets *****
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

For those who are more interested in Lester Earl's potential never being actualized, this post may not be of any interest. But be sure to look for my "Lane Czaplinski, T.J. Whatley, Macolm Nash, Eric Pauley, Jelani Janisse, and Freeman West: Where are they now?" thread coming soon. An added bonus will be the "Finnish Sensation: Pekka Markannen" thread.

Anyway, some cool KU nuggets that all true fans love to know......

-KU has been a #1 seed 6 times in the tourney all-time. This is 4th most behind Duke (8), UK (8), and UNC (7).

-KU has been ranked in 145 consecutive polls, 7th most in history.

-"Basketball News" ranked KU the second best program in the nation over the past 20 years (behind Duke).

-Kansas had the highest winning percentage in the 1990s

-From 1994-97, KU was ranked #1 at some point. That seasonal span is the 3rd longest in history.

-KU has been in 6 FFs since 1986, 2nd highest total (Duke #1 with 10)

-KU is 72-33 alltime in the tourney, 6th highest winning percentage and 5th highest win total in history. The 105 games is the 4th highest number of games any team has ever played in the tourney (however, Duke ties us Saturday when they play).

-KU has been to 12 FFs, 5th highest total ever

-KU is 3-2 versus Duke alltime in the tourney

#1386 - 03/30/04 09:41 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
vlp66 Offline
Baby Jay

great post!! you should send it to teggert person who said KU wasn't a basketball dynasty....lol

#1387 - 03/30/04 11:01 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
jhawk_dawg Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
We are the Masters of Close But Not Quite Often Enough.

I do like that last stat, though.

It's too bad St. John's hasn't made the Final in, what is it, 52 years?

Now, if you'd be so kind as to share your resource, I would be most grateful.

I like digging through pages and pages of records.

edit: Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, KU's all-time record is skewed by the defunct consolation game for 3rd & 4th place. They dropped that after it became apparent all but one of the best teams would get not one more loss, but possibly two to end the season. Wussies.

Edited by jhawk_dawg (03/30/04 11:07 PM)

#1388 - 03/30/04 11:05 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jhawk_dawg]
jensen Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Charleston, SC
go to ncaa.com
there are tons of records books listed

#1389 - 03/30/04 11:18 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: jensen]
jhawk_dawg Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
I'd just like to see people list their source in case there's one I haven't already seen. Got a handful of the NCAA Record Books bookmarked, and Infoplease, and some others, but am always looking for new or updated sites to wander through.

Latest Version

Edited by jhawk_dawg (03/30/04 11:19 PM)

#1390 - 03/30/04 11:33 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
You must be Rush Limbaugh's fact checker. KU has lost to Duke three times in the NCAA's since 1986. We can't be 3-2 against them.

BTW what award to we get for that "most wins in the '90s? From 94-97 we were ranked #1 at some point, but not at the point that mattered.

So, Richard, what is the only team to twice have four first round NBA picks on the same team and not make the final four? What team followed one of those years by having three first rounders the next season and not making it again?

Who was the first team to record 1,000 victories?

#1391 - 03/31/04 08:25 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Indeed I made an error. In doing research for the asinine Bring your own refs if you play Duke at home thread, I found these "interesting nuggets" on Duke's men's bball website. Instead of Kansas being 3-2 alltime against Duke in the tourney, we are 2-3. Surely Pukey you can understand my making an error as your posts are wrought with them. I never claimed to be infallible, just got a little excited and backwards when I was on Duke's website. I am flattered that your standard is so high for me, Pukey.

The rest of your post baffles me. Are you a Kansas fan or not? What do we get for having the highest winning percentage in the 90s? Well, for one Pukey, the distinction. And with that comes honor and pride in your team. Did I propose that we "get" something for having won a lot of games, or did I merely just share a few facts about the Hawks that maybe some people would be interested in? You are a joke, Pukey.

#1392 - 03/31/04 08:29 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
KUBowler99 Offline
Carries 15lb balls

Loc: Jaybowl, Lane 13
RH-

The stat I question is the 145 consecutive polls...is that current or at some point in the past?

TIA

KUBowler

#1393 - 03/31/04 08:39 AM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: KUBowler99]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

That is not current, it is from the old Williams era between 1991-1999. However, we are currently at about 75 consecutive polls, the second longest current streak behind Duke at about 150 consecutive polls.

Amazingly, Williams had KU in the Top 25 in 242 of 268 weekly polls during his tenure at Kansas, ranked in the Top 10 for 194 polls. We have been ranked #1 7 different times since 1990, and reached at least #2 in the nation 12 times in that period.

#1394 - 03/31/04 01:07 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

So, richie, who was the first team to win 1,000 games? It should be easy to research.

#1395 - 03/31/04 01:31 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Pukey, I could give a hoot. If it's such a burning question you have, you figure it out. My intent was not to list every little factoid about KU bball, but rather just some interesting anecdotes that I came across.

You really need to get a life.

#1396 - 03/31/04 07:00 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

In all levels it was Wyandotte HS in KCK. At the collegiate level it is muddled but was either KU or UK. Still haven't found the trophy for most wins in the 90's. Maybe Roy took it with him.

#1397 - 03/31/04 07:17 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

That's great. Keep looking for that trophy, it may show up. Or you might just settle on being proud of your team. If you need the validation of a trophy though, you may be disappointed.

By the way, what's your boner for 1000 wins? It's just a number, for a guy that could care less about win totals in the 90s I wouldn't think 1000 wins would mean squat.

#1398 - 03/31/04 07:20 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: NotAPuke]
kuilander Offline
WangBurgered

Loc: larryville
puke, why are you being such a tool? move on. head, i appreciate the nuggets and i'm proud of all of them .. except that 2-3 thing.

#1399 - 03/31/04 07:27 PM Re: Interesting nuggets [Re: kuilander]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Yeah, you can imagine how I felt seeing Duke's record of 3-2 against us and then just getting mixed up and thinking I was on KU's website and it was actually 3-2 in favor of the Hawks. Oh well. I'd edit that "nugget" out of the post, but at this point it really is necessary to understand how the "interesting nuggets" post was hijacked by a bitter, disgruntled fan.

cheers!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview