Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1362334 - 01/19/11 09:03 PM Totally Inexcusable
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
I don't care that they were the no. 1 team in the nation. If you are a team in a major conference you don't get beat by 40 points on your home court. Does this sound familiar? It should, with our new brilliant football coach and both were sweet Lew's hires.

#1362335 - 01/19/11 09:11 PM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: 58hawk]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Loc: TJ's Fanny Pack
At least I picked the right winner.

I think the new AD will make sure WBB and all the other non-revenue sports are competitive. There's no reason they shouldn't be.

#1362336 - 01/19/11 09:11 PM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: 58hawk]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Big difference is Bonnie has had plenty of time to build a program at Kansas. Turner Gill has not.

#1362337 - 01/19/11 09:15 PM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: jaihaux]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I haven't posted much on the WBB board after I witnessed the team give up and quit in games last year.

I don't like losing in any form, but I can tolerate it if the team busts butt for a full 40 minutes. Getting beat by a better team isn't fun, but it's tolerable if your team is giving everything they've got.

This team works hard when it's easy, but when the going gets tough, they roll over and just go through the motions. The opposite is what should happen. The more difficult the opponent or situation, the harder a team should work.

When a team quits, they lose my support.

#1362338 - 01/19/11 09:21 PM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Loc: TJ's Fanny Pack
Pretty cruel, 5d.

The Lady Jayhawks and the football team will always have my support, regardless of how shitty they are. Even if they quit. I've quit tons of "things" in my life.

#1362339 - 01/19/11 09:30 PM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: oreadical]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

Pretty cruel, 5d.

The Lady Jayhawks and the football team will always have my support, regardless of how shitty they are. Even if they quit. I've quit tons of "things" in my life.

The truth can be a cruel mistress.

I still love KU.

I love KU enough to refuse to support a team that quits. When you wear "Kansas" on the front of your jersey, I expect you to give everything you've got from beginning to end of the contest. Teams that do that, will always get my most enthusiastic support, no matter what their win/loss record is.

#1362340 - 01/19/11 10:33 PM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
MyBologna Offline
has a first name

Since I haven't been able to make it to any other games this year, I don't know how they played effort wise compared to other games, but some things I noticed:

1) There was no answer for Grinner. We have no one who can guard the post who is near her height. Boogard(sp?) was the closest one to her size and was beat using the simplest post moves in the book. Bonnie used the zone a little in the first half and that seemed to help until Baylor got hot from the three.

2) Not only is every one of their guards stronger and faster than ours, they are also shorter as well. They were tiny compared to Baylor's guards.

3) There were a LOT of bunnies missed in the first half. It could have been the physical defense, intimidation, or something else but there were plenty of missed opportunities.

Basically the highlight of the night was sitting next to the mens basketball team and being able to sign up our group for the Texas game before Saturday.

#1362341 - 01/20/11 03:30 AM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: 58hawk]
TheBashman Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

I don't care that they were the no. 1 team in the nation. If you are a team in a major conference you don't get beat by 40 points on your home court. Does this sound familiar? It should, with our new brilliant football coach and both were sweet Lew's hires.

Yup, Lew could never hire a head coach.......

Eddie Fogler
Gary Williams
Skip Holtz
Randy Edsall

Boy did he strike out at hiring head coaches.

Bonnie was as accomplished head coach as we could have hired, it just hasn't worked out. I can't fault hiring her with a record of 158-62 before she got here, with 7 ncaa tourney apperances in all 7 seasons at VT, and an ACC title.

#1362342 - 01/20/11 08:20 AM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: TheBashman]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
The point was that Bonnie should have been gone after last season. Her teams simply quit and give up.

#1362343 - 01/20/11 08:26 AM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: TheBashman]
onlyoneUinKansas Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Oklahoma(Kansas is much better...
Quote:

Quote:

Yup, Lew could never hire a head coach.......

Eddie Fogler
Gary Williams
Skip Holtz
Randy Edsall

Boy did he strike out at hiring head coaches.

Bonnie was as accomplished head coach as we could have hired, it just hasn't worked out. I can't fault hiring her with a record of 158-62 before she got here, with 7 ncaa tourney apperances in all 7 seasons at VT, and an ACC title.

How did Bonnie when an ACC title when VT was still in the Big East when she left???????????? The A-10 is a completely different animal........

#1362344 - 01/20/11 09:14 AM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: jaihaux]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Agreed.

#1362345 - 01/20/11 09:22 AM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: TheBashman]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Okay, then how many years should she get to make this program successful? 10? 15? Every year its the same thing. Start out with a bang beating less talented noncon teams and then getting stomped in the conference. I would be okay with this if it happened only a year or two, but its happening EVERY year. And every year there is an excuse to why they are losing. Injuries. Lack of Experience. Too young of a team. Size. I think you get my drift.

#1362346 - 01/20/11 09:24 AM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: 58hawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"...it just hasn't worked out."

So that's a valid excuse to keep her?

#1362347 - 01/20/11 09:56 AM Re: Totally Inexcusable [Re: 58hawk]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

Okay, then how many years should she get to make this program successful? 10? 15? Every year its the same thing. Start out with a bang beating less talented noncon teams and then getting stomped in the conference. I would be okay with this if it happened only a year or two, but its happening EVERY year. And every year there is an excuse to why they are losing. Injuries. Lack of Experience. Too young of a team. Size. I think you get my drift.

Getting stomped by the #1 team in the country doesn't mean Bonnie is a bad coach. Lots of good teams get stomped by the #1 team in the country.

The real issue, as you pointed out, is the pattern of being non-competitive in the conference. Not just being non competitive in wins/losses, but a lack of effort when the team gets behind.

Show me some fight and I'll support you, even if you are overmatched talentwise. Brittany Griner is a special player. Perhaps a Wilt Chamberalin of Women's hoops kind of player. She also has an excellent supporting cast. It would have been a minor miracle for KU to have beaten Baylor. I understand that.

It's the lack of effort I refuse to accept. Even less talented teams can dive on loose balls, set solid screens, block out for rebounds, run hard to get back on defense, etc.

#1362348 - 01/20/11 10:47 AM totally expected... [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
bonnie is not a very good coach. however, she seems to recruit fairly well. that kid, #4, she had the last four years was a real baller. but her teams did nothing while she attended ku.

actually, i hope bonnie gets a contract extension.

and the big loss to baylor was forecasted by everyone who follows the game.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview