Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1352669 - 01/11/11 04:20 PM Who do you want to replace BH? *
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
My ideal person would be right from Self's staff in Barry Hinson, who has been a head coach on the D1 Level.

#1352670 - 01/11/11 04:24 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: 58hawk]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Okie State assistant coach Jim Littell

He won 87 percent of his games at the juco level, including a national title, and knows Kansas well.

http://www.okstate.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/littell_jim00.html

Edited by jayhawk1996 (01/11/11 04:26 PM)

#1352671 - 01/12/11 09:31 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yes that would be a good one as well.

#1352672 - 01/12/11 09:42 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: 58hawk]
larryb2 Offline
Am I Wrong?

Loc: United Center
Doug Bruno

#1352673 - 01/12/11 11:22 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: larryb2]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
get another k-stater to fix your problem, shalee lehning.

#1352674 - 01/12/11 11:28 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

We all know and respect the powers of Rev. Deb and her flock, but it might help to hire someone with previous coaching experience.

#1352675 - 01/12/11 11:42 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

like marvelous bonnie? geezzz.

and if a ku fan, i'd lay low on sarcastic 'rev' references.

shalee will be head coaching k-state someday. she's an assistant coach now.

#1352676 - 01/12/11 11:54 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Since the topic of this thread is replacing Bonnie, I'd hesitate to call her marvelous.

However, my research indicates that Bonnie has the same number of Sweet 16 appearances and conference championships as Deb. I realize they came in the ACC and not the Big 12, but they count just the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Henrickson#Biography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deb_Patterson

#1352677 - 01/12/11 12:04 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

deb has owned henrickson. cats won a big12 championship on bonnie's home court. comparing the two is ludicrous.

#1352678 - 01/12/11 12:11 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

So is hiring a 24-year-old assistant to be a head coach at KU.

#1352679 - 01/14/11 08:38 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Overlook Hotel
Quote:

deb has owned henrickson. cats won a big12 championship on bonnie's home court. comparing the two is ludicrous.

AMEN!!

Now, I want you to read Matthew 6:2-5

#1352680 - 01/14/11 08:40 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Okie State assistant coach Jim Littell

He won 87 percent of his games at the juco level, including a national title, and knows Kansas well.

http://www.okstate.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/littell_jim00.html

Jim Littell would be a brilliant hire. Wichita State had everything but his signature during its last coaching search, including bringing Jackie Stiles as an assistant, but Okie State sweetened the pot at the last second. Why? Word was Budke did not, under any circumstances, want to lose Littell.

#1352681 - 01/18/11 09:47 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jaihaux]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Not sure if I'd want KU in a bidding war with T Boone for his services, but he's a great coach. Back in my sportswriting days, I covered his juco team - class act all the way.

#1352682 - 01/19/11 09:04 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Not sure if I'd want KU in a bidding war with T Boone for his services, but he's a great coach. Back in my sportswriting days, I covered his juco team - class act all the way.

Yep, class act. I was there the night Seward's 150 home game winning streak ended, losing bad to a sixth-place Hutchinson team. Did he storm off the floor, half-heartedly shake hands with Hutch or pout? No. He spoke to the Hutch coach for about 30 seconds, shook every Hutch player's hand and said repeatedly in postgame how bad he was outcoached that night.

I cannot believe someone has not picked up Littell to be a HC. I know WSU had him before Boone sweetened the pot, but Littell is a great basketball coach and recruiter who knows this state inside and out.

#1352683 - 01/19/11 09:30 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jaihaux]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
Pat Summit.

#1352684 - 01/21/11 07:49 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: 58hawk]
kuwins Offline
Prairie Warrior

I want Mulkey...it's Kansas or Baylor come on...new AD go after her and show her the money.

#1352685 - 01/25/11 10:16 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhwk01]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: KS
If our new AD and KU are serious about having a top level (elite) women's basketball program to complement the men's program, then I would like to see another path taken. Rather than providing a name, I would like to see a strong search team put together that would identify perhaps the top 5-10 programs in the country. Then give the search team a financial package to offer a more than competitive edge to interest that coach and his/her staff. Hopefully, after getting that coach interested (and during the interview process) find out what types of improvements, changes, and/or additions to the program the new coach would like to have and put those into action.

Am I saying spend a lot of money? Damn right! But I absolutely believe here at KU, this could be a big time money making program, BUT ONLY IF IT WAS A BIG TIME WINNER. People here love GREAT basketball (remember the Women's NIT Championship game here a couple of years ago - 16,000 fans). Show a great coach the opportunity here to develop this into a very, very special women's program, and I believe he or she would take it. Remember, "If you build it they will come!"

Edited by prairiehawk (01/25/11 10:26 PM)

#1352686 - 01/27/11 10:19 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: prairiehawk]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Loc: NYC
Quote:

Then give the search team a financial package to offer a more than competitive edge to interest that coach and his/her staff.

Am I saying spend a lot of money? Damn right! But I absolutely believe here at KU, this could be a big time money making program

ROFL.

#1352687 - 01/28/11 06:11 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: pwhittemore]
onlyoneUinKansas Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Oklahoma(Kansas is much better...
Quote:

Quote:

Then give the search team a financial package to offer a more than competitive edge to interest that coach and his/her staff.

Am I saying spend a lot of money? Damn right! But I absolutely believe here at KU, this could be a big time money making program

ROFL.

The problem is thats how we got Bonnie! She was honest to god a sought out coach at VT, Minny, Vandy and other programs tried to get her but she said no. Lew backed Brinks truck up and nabbed her. I NEVER thought she was anything special at VT but fans told me give her time and I would love her.............her time ran out 3 years ago. Is Stiles coaching anywhere? I know she had been doing clinics but wasn't sure if she was an assistant?(she spoke with Bonnie about it but Bonnie was going to give her another job that Jackie said no to). Stiles is probably the BIGGEST Jayhawk at heart of any of us. HEARTBREAKING that Marian didn't offer her but she went to play for a KU alum anyways.

TM can our new coach buy our players laptops like Deb did for Koehn? The best quote ever was out of Wecker "if I knew what I do now I wouldn't have went there......"

#1352688 - 01/28/11 08:40 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: onlyoneUinKansas]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

ahh, once more, it's all about k-state.

but why not. long time tradition is hard to catch.

#1352689 - 01/28/11 09:36 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Posted this on another thread...

I would prefer to see someone like Barry Hinson take over the WBB team and get Lynette as an assistant with a retired WNBA'er as the third assistant.

Everyone would prefer Pat Summit or Geno but that's not going to happen.

#1352690 - 01/29/11 11:25 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: NotAPuke]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Jim Littell would bring Jackie Stiles as an assistant. Get Littell. He'll have us in the tournament within three years.

#1352691 - 01/29/11 08:46 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jaihaux]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

NO JUCO COACHES.

#1352692 - 01/30/11 01:32 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: NotAPuke]
theno1kufan Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Lawrence, KS
I nominate another BH, B of H. He'd turn the women's team into champions(or at least an entertaing bball team).

#1352693 - 01/31/11 08:28 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: NotAPuke]
jaihaux Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

NO JUCO COACHES.

Not even a Kansas guy? A guy who would outrecruit the Rev. Bonnie for Kansas players? Not even a guy who has had tremendous success everywhere he's been? That's fine, we take our chances with another accomplished coach like Bonnie instead of doing the smart thing and giving Jim Littell a long overdue head coaching position.

Again, Littell would have KU in the NCAA Tournament within three years, maybe sooner.

#1352694 - 01/31/11 11:13 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jaihaux]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Juco's, unlike KU have zero entrance requirements. Bonnie can recruit, she can't coach.

#1352695 - 01/31/11 11:56 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jaihaux]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

Quote:

NO JUCO COACHES.

Not even a Kansas guy? A guy who would outrecruit the Rev. Bonnie for Kansas players? Not even a guy who has had tremendous success everywhere he's been? That's fine, we take our chances with another accomplished coach like Bonnie instead of doing the smart thing and giving Jim Littell a long overdue head coaching position.

Again, Littell would have KU in the NCAA Tournament within three years, maybe sooner.

Get Littell and pay him whatever it takes. He's been a top assistant at Okie State long enough to know how to coach at this leve.

#1352696 - 01/31/11 01:07 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: NotAPuke]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Quote:

Bonnie can recruit, she can't coach

are you suggesting she out-recruits deb. i don't think so. best player on the court saturday was jalana childs. i wouldn't trade karr and brit for any guard on ku's team. sorry, i've never bought that she somehow recruits better than patterson.

#1352697 - 01/31/11 01:24 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

Quote:

Bonnie can recruit, she can't coach

are you suggesting she out-recruits deb.

Didn't see a mention of Deb there, nor was one implied, but anything you can do to inject yourself and K-State into the conversation....

Again, the thread topic is "Who do you want to replace BH?"

#1352698 - 01/31/11 01:34 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

i don't believe it was your post i was commenting on. how do you know what was being implied by nap? that's why i asked him the question.

#1352699 - 01/31/11 02:07 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: kuwins]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Quote:

I want Mulkey...it's Kansas or Baylor come on...new AD go after her and show her the money

No offense, but STFU! We aren't in a financial position to throw more cash after a nonrevenue sport. We need to focus in the next 5-10.

#1352700 - 01/31/11 02:32 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: Morgansraider]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It would be a revenue sport if we had a decent program and coach. How many did they draw in the NIT last year? This is a basketball school so yes it would get great support if we had a winner.

#1352701 - 01/31/11 03:26 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: 58hawk]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

Quote:

It would be a revenue sport if we had a decent program and coach. How many did they draw in the NIT last year? This is a basketball school so yes it would get great support if we had a winner.

Duke has been a very successful women's program. They reported a deficit of almost 3 million dollars in 2009-2009, a year they finished 6th in the country. The same with Auburn, who also reported an almost 3 million dollar deficit. The same with Texas A&M. Come on people.

#1352702 - 01/31/11 03:29 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: pwhittemore]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

some of that is how one allocates money. costing is not an exact science.

and i'm sure ku wbb generates revenue. 'non-revenue generating sport' is a misnomer if ever one was written. emaw.

#1352703 - 01/31/11 03:39 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

keep clinging to your reality.

#1352704 - 01/31/11 03:43 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: pwhittemore]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

keep clinging to your reality.

Or just find the facts. It's easy. And fun!
In 2008-09, both KSU and KU ran deficits on women's hoops, and KSU's basketball programs combined to lose $701,708.
KU's women's program lost more than 3 million that year, tops in the nation. Also in the Top 10? aTm and Oklahoma, the latter of which outdraws its men's team.

http://www.allbasketballreview.com/top-12-largest-deficits-for-womens-basketball-programs

#1352705 - 01/31/11 03:46 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

again, it's how the costs are allocated. attendance at state is far better, perhaps, than at the flag, but not $3mm better. and altho bonnie is way overpaid based on her lack of results, it does not dent $3mm.

for example, you could pump enough of that license money into bonnie's program to make it net out. you don't. but you could. emaw.

#1352706 - 01/31/11 03:54 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
pwhittemore Offline
Satellite Coords Mod

an average of 4,000!!! @ around 8 dollars a ticket! cha-ching! ewaw!

#1352707 - 01/31/11 03:58 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

onlyone - NO NO NO. You are not correct. That is NOT how we got HCBH. Lew P talked to a select few who gave him their ideas. He wanted an east coast person (who didn't know jack crap about the midwest and KU) because that is what he was comfortable with. HCBH had some success on the EAST COAST and was considered a coach on the rise, but she was not considered a big name, big time coach!!
Further she DID NOT get the big bucks until later on (so as to match up somewhat with HCBS). Many people assumed that LP would bring in the UCON coach, well that did might have worked pretty good, but it did happen. Lastly, if you have the idea that she recruits well, you must have one heck of a low standard for even acceptable recruiting. Her recruiting is about one step above her coaching ability, and we all know how good that is.

My main point here is that we need (make that must have) KU people to advise the AD who do not have an agenda or personal crusade to get a good ole buddy in as coach. If the powers to be want to be big time then, THEY MUST SPEND THE BIG DOLLARS AND GET A BIG TIME COACH THAT KNOWS THE MID-WEST, BIG 12, AND KU. If you don't get that, then you do not understand what it will take to be successful. Any thing short of that will be simply a shot in the dark (small time chance in hell to succeed)! Anything less would be similar to what KU did in football with Terry Allen.

Remember one simple rule: To make money you must spend money. If you want a big time, big money making program then you MUST pay for it. Or you can pay very little and continue to have a failed women's basketball proram here at KU, or to put it any way it will become a typical - 5 P Program (Piss Poor Penny Pinching Project). See how much that will bring in money and fan wise.

Edited by prairiehawk (01/31/11 04:07 PM)

#1352708 - 01/31/11 04:02 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: prairiehawk]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I don't get the east coast thing. Yes, Va Tech is in the east, but not exactly on the coast. BH was born and raised in Minnesota, played college ball in Minnesota, and was an assistant at Iowa. That's about as Midwest as it gets. Upper Midwest, but still Midwest.
I agree that Lew asked who the best coach was and kept hearing Bonnie's name, then overpaid her. Sound familiar?

#1352709 - 01/31/11 04:20 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

I know where he came from and where he played (and also AD at WSU when they dropped the football program), but as a successful AD, his experience and contacts were on the east coast, especially with the women's bb and the building of a football program (UCONN). And if she would have been successful, you would be ready to say she is not overpaid (probably give her a raise).

Lew Perkins was one heck of a business man, and business people understand you get what you pay for. Be cheap you get cheap, there are very, very, very few bargains in the world of sports anymore, those days are dead, gone, and buried. Today, you put up or shut up, there is no in-betweeners. YOU MUST SPEND BIG BUCKS TO GET GREATNESS AND SPEND EVEN BIGGER BUCKS TO KEEP GREATNESS OR YOU SETTLE FOR BEING A BOTTOM FEEDER IN THE CONFERENCE - PERIOD! I truly do not mean to be harsh or a jerk my fellow Jayhawk, just stating how it is these days (pathetic, money-hungry, greedy times).

Edited by prairiehawk (01/31/11 04:24 PM)

#1352710 - 01/31/11 04:23 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: prairiehawk]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Quote:

And if she would have been successful, you would be ready to say she is not overpaid (probably give her a raise).

Agreed - but she has not been successful in Big 12 play, yet she got a hefty raise in 2007 and a contract extension in 2009:

May 10 Women's basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson receives a two-year extension and raise that increases her total compensation from $380,000 yearly to $635,000.

Aug. 13 _ Women's basketball coach Bonnie Henrickson receives a three-year contract extension through the 2013-14 season.

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/2010/06/10/1354054/lew-perkins-through-the-years.html#ixzz1CeciYhoc

I understand that you have to pay for quality coaches, but in the case of BH, KU isn't getting what it's paying for.

Edited by jayhawk1996 (01/31/11 04:24 PM)

#1352711 - 01/31/11 04:31 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

I do agree with you 100%. And I hope the next time around we get what we pay for. It really is a simple formula in sports: The money you pay out + wins and then money coming in (tickets and donations) = profit. Think how much Bill Self is paid, compare that to the great coaches just a decade ago....I never thought I would see a KU head coach making millions of dollars annually. Is he worth it? Is he worth even more? Does that belong in the college setting? Yes, Yes, I not sure! But yes if you go by the formula above. PAYES FOR ITSELF AND PROFIT!!

Sorry to keep editing here, doing too many things at once. The reason she was paid so much more was to give an appearence of creating equality in compensation with the mens program. However, another rule in business (unless it is in the public sector) is that you receive a bonus and reward when you EARN it, and that my friend WAS NOT DONE. But it still will NOT prevent the need for BIG bucks to get the next and hopefully big time coach (who will become successful) at KU.

Edited by prairiehawk (01/31/11 04:39 PM)

#1352712 - 01/31/11 04:54 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: prairiehawk]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

I am retired and love to watch college sports, especially football and both mens' and womens' basketball. I buy multiple season tickets for the KU football, women's basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, and soccer and attend most games. Only recently I had to give up the season tickets for the men's basketball (but contiune to buy single tickets and attend a couple of games at AFH and the Big 12 Tourney in KC). I will say this, I will continue to buy several season tickets, and donate a modest amount to the women's basketball program, if KU hires a proven winner. And that coach MUST show steady progress over a 4 or 5 year period for me to continue. I do not want to see business as usually any more at KU! I hope many other KU fans will buy season tickets and support the women's programs at KU, then the future will be very bright for KU women's sports, especially our beloved basketball. RCJHKU

Edited by prairiehawk (01/31/11 04:55 PM)

#1352713 - 01/31/11 09:58 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: prairiehawk]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

One last thing here. KU fans love good basketball and will support it (men's or women's bb). I believe the evidence was the NIT Championship game when we had 16,000 + fans at AFH.

JMO - If we had a BIG time winner (consistent league contender and annually top 10 ranking) similar to the mens' program, I absolutely believe KU could sell out AFH for all home games, just like the men's program. Before arguing or doubting that, don't forget the season tickets for the women's program are a small fraction of the cost of the men's team, which makes them very cost effective and sellable. Great program = great crowds, when it comes to basketball in Lawrence, Kansas.

#1352714 - 02/01/11 08:44 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: prairiehawk]
jayhawk1996 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Agreed - KU men's basketball had lower attendance figures in the lean years from 1975-85. It's hard to imagine now.

#1352715 - 02/01/11 11:48 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: jayhawk1996]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

if gino was at ku with those uconn results, wbb would be a huge hit there as well.

#1352716 - 02/01/11 08:23 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: tmcats]
justme Offline
Prairie Warrior

Cheryl Burnett

#1352717 - 02/02/11 06:54 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: justme]
cookin Offline
Baby Jay

Here are a few names I came up with to replace BH.

Kevin Pritchard
Jacque Vaughn
Neil Dougherty
Lynette Woodard
Scott Pollard
Jerry Finkbeiner -ORU
Doug Bruno- DePaul
Kristy Curry- Texas Tex
Pokey Chapman- Chicago Sky

#1352718 - 02/04/11 05:17 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: cookin]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Loc: KC, MO
Quote:

Neil Dougherty

was at the ksu game last saturday. how often does he come back around? maybe it was just for simien.

#1352719 - 02/12/11 09:48 AM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
KEITHMILES05 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Bonnie is not showing progress in Big 12. That is what matters most. How Zenger can stand mediocrity is beyond me. She needs to be gone.

#1352720 - 02/12/11 02:30 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: KEITHMILES05]
Code_2008 Offline
WBB Moderator

Loc: Lawrence, Kansas
The fact that he has been AD for less than 2 weeks and you expect immediate change is beyond me. If I understand right, he's evaluating all coaches, so she won't be fired during the season. That's suicide on all notes of recruiting.

#1352721 - 02/12/11 06:50 PM Re: Who do you want to replace BH? [Re: Code_2008]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Get the coach from UMKC...definitely easy on the eyes.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview