Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1347208 - 01/07/11 08:48 AM !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Topeka
So one of the final projects in the "13hawk needs to finish the remodel so he can sell the house and move to greener more job filled pastures" clusterphuck... is to refinish the hardwood floors.

Woke up early, pretty excited and pumped! The floor project has sucked. Giant holes in the subfloor, termite damage, holes straight through to the outside air in the crawlspace, different altitudes on the subfloor, water damage, carpet pad glued AND stapled down, 10 BILLION nails... but all of that has been painstakingly repaired and remedied. Ready to finally see the payoff!

Drive out to lowes at 0-DARK:30 to ensure that I get an early start and that noone else grabs the floor sander that I need to rent. Go through the 30 minutes worth of wrangling an employee to sign the thing out to me. Get it out to the truck. Starting to get excited now. Something is really about to go off without a hitch? Pull the handle for the tailgate. Tailgate obediently swings down. Struggle lifting the 200 lb sander up into the truck, but I'm running on adrenaline now - get it in there no problem.

Hop on I-70 and drive the 10 minutes to my house... ready to rock on this floor!

Get out of the truck...

huge grin...

hands grasp the tailgate handle, eager with anticipation... just 4 stairs stand in the way to glory and finished hardwood floors...

pull up on the tailgate handle...

pull up again...

!!!

Tailgate is broke.

Moral of the story. It really doesn't matter how happy or excited you are, how much prep work you've done, how many pallets of good karma you have stored up... Murphy and his Mack Truck fukkin Law can A L W A Y S materialize out of nowhere and make you regret not just staying home and taking jack daniels through an IV!

Smile and have a good day my fellow hawks - for it truly IS a blessing that none of your children were close enough to me at 6am this morning to hear the string of expletives I wove like a fine tapestry

(that to our knowledge still hangs in space over lake michigan).

#1347209 - 01/07/11 08:56 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: 13Hawk]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
nice Xmas Story reference....looking for work....does it matter where....would you consider CNN....I know people....at least some people on the inside at CNN....

#1347210 - 01/07/11 08:56 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: 13Hawk]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

TGIF?

Hoping your day gets better man!

#1347211 - 01/07/11 09:07 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: 13Hawk]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I know it's frustrating, but try to calm down and concentrate on one problem at a time.

The rental timer is ticking on the sander. Get some help to get that sander out of the truck. Get your floors done, and the sander returned.

The sooner you get that sander returned, the sooner you can drink yourself drunk to celebrate. (Hint: Stay sober until you finish the floors... no matter how tempting it is to get drunk now.)

#1347212 - 01/07/11 09:46 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
There's always a bright side 13.
You could've been fighting this 2 days from now when it might be down to about 2 degrees.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#1347213 - 01/07/11 09:53 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: appyhawk]
HunterThompson Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Woody Creek, CO
You coulda called me 13. I woulda brought you some Rum. Then laughed as you were fighting the tailgate. Then you coulda beat the sh!t outta me. Then we coulda laughed together. Then we coulda got d-runk together. Then I woulda watched you fight the floors while I was on a lawn chair in your living room, watching you fight the sander. Then you coulda beat the sh!t outta me again. Then we woulda laughed some more. Then you woulda finished the job and I woulda grabbed the rest of the rum and headed home.

Just sayin. All that was a phone call away.

#1347214 - 01/07/11 09:54 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: HunterThompson]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

lol
We know who to call for a good time!

#1347215 - 01/07/11 09:55 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: LisaT]
HunterThompson Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Woody Creek, CO
Oh, you already knew.

#1347216 - 01/07/11 09:58 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: HunterThompson]
Hawks_And_Cats Offline
Suck it, Geezer

Loc: The Coolest Place on Earth
Leveling floors to lay the wood sucks ass. I've never done it before but my contractor whined like a little girl the whole time he did it.

#1347217 - 01/07/11 10:01 AM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: HunterThompson]
LisaT Offline
Max Falkenstein

Quote:

Oh, you already knew.

Well maybe, but I did not know you brought your own lawn chair! Giddyup!

#1347218 - 01/07/11 12:24 PM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: LisaT]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

Phog - That wouldn't be bad, but unless they have some local stuff through AP I wouldn't be able to go to Atlanta (though it WOULD be fun to ride that long escalator in the lobby everyday)... Maybe the house will catch on fire during the snowstorm monday... :-D

Lisa T - I'm a prisoner in the "moneypit" house... I remember this strange concept you refer to as "friday"!

5Deca & Hunter - I grabbed one of my shorter ratchet straps, hooked it on the handles on the base of the sander and slung the sumumabitch over my shoulder (and almost promptly faceplanted as I clamored over the tailgate). I just about went and got the liter of Jack to hold on my bruised shoulder... but figured the temptation would be too high. Hunter, I wouldn't have kicked your ass... but I MAY have tried to 36 grit sand you to death

Appy - no doubt! The original plan WAS to start this next week... but the NWS vetoed me. It's bad enough with the wind out there now! I'm glad I live in the middle of town where there are thousands of century old trees instead of my parents new subdivision (where there is a perpetual category 2 hurricane outside their front door!)

#1347219 - 01/07/11 12:28 PM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: Hawks_And_Cats]
13Hawk Offline
Baby Jay

H&C - yuuuuup. I'm still a little blind in one eye from repeatedly poking a hot poker in it to remind me that floor leveling isn't REALLY torture!

(that's not to say that picking thousands of little mofo'ing splinters out of random parts of your own body isn't)

#1347220 - 01/07/11 12:35 PM Re: !@*^#@$^%#$@#^$%@^%#$@ [Re: 13Hawk]
jhawks99 Offline
Defense

Loc: Rebounds
Get back to work, that floor isn't going to sand itself..

Good luck, 13.

Preview