Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1341 - 03/30/04 08:28 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home ***** [Re: dughawk]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

You are a real piece of work, duggiehawk. My lack of corroborating data? I think if you take the time to actually read what I said in my original post, I am just offering a hypothesis, not a conclusion like JayhawkBob. I don't know much, but I do know this: Duke has played 36 games and has only been called for 73 less fouls than their opponents. That is 2 fouls per game, big boy. Show me where the bias is. Duke has won 31 of those 36 games, and if you think for 1 second that they are not constantly getting fouled at the end of games because they are in the lead and the other team is looking to change possession, you have not seen many bball games in your time.

Here's a friendly bit of advice: try going after the content of posts, not individual posters. Your disdain for me is admirable, but it's nothing new. Ask Pukey. It is actually flattering to see your reactionary spirit to my posts, but you fool nobody.

#1342 - 03/30/04 08:30 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: MICHHAWK]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

dick head enjoys talking down to us a little too much. I picture him with a thesaurus on his lap as he types away.

If you can't stand the heat, get out the kitchen. I appreciate the flattering comment. I realize that my lexicon strains the average poster on here, I'll try to translate where necessary.

#1343 - 03/30/04 08:38 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
The only time you strain anything is to, well, I'd have to ban myself so I won't say, but lets just say you are not any more intelligent than your average (___fill in the blan___).

#1344 - 03/30/04 08:38 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: Richardhead]
NotAPuke Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
The only time you strain anything is to, well, I'd have to ban myself so I won't say, but lets just say you are not any more intelligent than your average (___fill in the blank___).

#1345 - 03/30/04 08:40 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: NotAPuke]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

If you want to match Vitas, bring it.

#1346 - 03/30/04 09:03 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: dughawk]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

The Hawks played 33 games this year for a 24-9 record.

Kansas this year was whistled for 661 fouls, while their opponents were called for 662. Amazing parity across the entire season, but when you look at these numbers a little closer, interesting patterns emerge. In losses, KU out-fouled their opponents by a margin of 196-165, or almost 4 more fouls per losing game than their foes. This empirically suggests that in fact, when a team is losing, they tend to foul more. Without going through the game film I cannot determine if the bulk of these fouls occurred toward the end of the game, but this is probably a safe assumption.

Now if you look at Duke, which I did, I found several errors in jayhawkBob's "research." First of all, Duke committed 675 fouls versus 756 for their opponents, a difference of 81 (which is actually greater than what Bobby boy said). Anyway, Duke played 36 games for a 31-5 record. In losing efforts, however, like Kansas, Duke outfouled their opponents by a margin of 116-101, suggesting that like Kansas, when a team loses, they tend to foul more. In home games, Duke was called for 253 fouls in 15 games, or an average of 18.07 fouls per game in Cameron Indoor. Overall, Duke was averaged 18.75 fouls per game for the season. While only a negligible difference, this higher number of average fouls away from Cameron Indoor is due to the fact that Duke lost 4 games away from home and out-fouled their opponents in those contests. In the one game Duke lost at home, Duke had 24 fouls while Georgia Tech had 22. In home games Duke actually had 4 players foul out this season. On the road, also only 4 players fouled out.

All these data seem pretty even, suggesting Duke is a well-balanced and disciplined team. They in fact are not benefiting from "homer" calls as JayhawkBob and DugHawk suggest. In games they win--which is a lot--they get fouled a lot. In games they lose, they foul more than their opponent.

So while some people can continue to look for excuses as to why Duke is so good, this ain't one of them. All of these data are even more amazing when you consider that 22 of Duke's 36 games this year were against NCAA Tourney teams. They weren't playing no slouches.

#1347 - 03/30/04 09:27 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: Richardhead]
pktwhawks Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Refs don't win games and they don't lose them either. KU fans are starting to sound like MU fans--knock it off. Siemen doesn't hardly touch the ball the last 10 minutes, we missed at least 5 free throws the last 5 minutes, Graves and Miles both missed a layup, and Miles plain fell asleep as the floor leader who has been to 2 final fours. By the way, Langford DID foul the guy, and the ref was not 80 feet away. When we decide to play 6 games in a row we will win a tournament, until then it will be the same outcome every year.

#1348 - 03/30/04 09:31 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: pktwhawks]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

This was my original point that was lost on several. Thanks for doing a better job than I for making it clear.

cheers!

#1349 - 03/30/04 09:34 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: Richardhead]
pktwhawks Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Your welcome. I agree with the points you have made, and really believe others out there understand, just refuse to accept facts.

#1350 - 03/31/04 07:59 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: JayhawkBob]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

I'd be lying if I said I was surprised that hard data intimidated some people. Or did it just shut some people up?

#1351 - 04/01/04 02:57 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: JayhawkBob]
jhawk1979 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Red Stick, Louisiana
I'm with you JayhawkBob, Duke does get all the calls, especially when they NEED one. And that's not crying Dick Head, that's the opinion of a lot of basketball fans.

#1352 - 04/01/04 06:33 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: elan71]
KUSU Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Buffalo NY
yeah like people will stop overhyping PUKE. HA

#1353 - 04/01/04 08:20 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: jhawk1979]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

You are clueless, 79.

#1354 - 04/01/04 08:13 PM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: jhawk1979]
pktwhawks Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

If Duke got all the calls they would win the tourney every year which they do not. For the people talking about what leagues "crews" that were working the NCAA--get a clue. These guys don't just work one league they all work multiple leagues, and these guys don't say to themselves, hey what league is this team from, I'll call this. Have any of you complaining about the officials ever officiated any game let alone a NCAA division 1 game? Stop the crying, if we would have shot anymore free throws we would have just missed them.

#1355 - 04/02/04 12:12 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: pktwhawks]
Hawkster Offline
Phog Fanatic

I love it when new people come, spew a little bit and run off into never never land.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Preview