Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1326 - 03/30/04 07:24 AM Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home *****
JayhawkBob Offline
John Brown

Loc: Ohio
Interesting stat - Duke at home committed 73 less fouls than their opponents this year and only had 2 player foul out the entire season.

Don't shake hands in pregame warm-ups, you might be charged with a foul!!!!

Do we get that home cookin at AFH???

#1327 - 03/30/04 08:47 AM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: JayhawkBob]
DieHard Offline
Baby Jay

I think we get some calls when we play at the our house.
I've watched a few Duke games in my days and they get all the calls. There has been a few were I had to stop watching because it's so one sided.
I wouldn't want to be a ref anywhere anytime.
DH

#1328 - 03/30/04 10:14 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: JayhawkBob]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Wah wah wah. Duke gets all the calls. Wah wah wah.

That is pure baloney. Did it ever cross your mind that a team that has won 31 games against 5 losses is going to get fouled a lot towards the end of games because that's what losing teams do in an attempt to stop the clock and put the winning team on the line? Duke lost 1 game t home this year, so I would imagine that this was happening a lot. If you ask me, only 73 less fouls than their opponents seems kinda low for such a dominant team.

Of course home teams always get the calls (are you trying to make the case that KU doesn't in AFH???), but did it ever cross your mind that they are a very disciplined team that rarely is in foul trouble? Did it cross your mind to see how many less fouls KU had in AFH this year tha their opponents? Of course you didn't, because you just read that little stat somewhere and then paste it on here as if you did the research. Without Gravey, how many KU players fouled out this year? Probably more than 2, yeah, but not a whole lot.

I am not a Duke fan, but this is just ridiculous.

#1329 - 03/30/04 10:17 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: Richardhead]
JayhawkBob Offline
John Brown

I think you need to switch to decafe - I didn't read the stat anywhere, I did the research on it - and BTW, I do hate Duke.

#1330 - 03/30/04 10:19 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: JayhawkBob]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Well then, you need to learn the fine art of making valid inferences. Think about your data and then try to make some logical conclusions.

You are right, I am sorry. You didn't read the stat anywhere, because if you had surely the person reporting it would have offered plausible reasons why they had 73 less fouls than their opponents, not just the silly Duke-had-less-fouls-than-their-opponents-so-the-refs-all-love-Duke.

#1331 - 03/30/04 10:20 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: Richardhead]
elan71 Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Fort Wayne, IN
i agree...why are we even talking about duke on a kansas message board? we didn't play them this year, didn't lose and recruits to them, didn't really do anything with them at all for the last couple of years. so why are we talking about them in this context? get over the duke hype, it's people like this poster that makes them so annoying. if people would just stop making a big deal about them then it wouldn't be a big deal! pretty simple.
"one beaker for another" philippians 4:13

#1332 - 03/30/04 10:22 AM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: elan71]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

amen, elan.

#1333 - 03/30/04 11:28 AM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: JayhawkBob]
JayhawkZX12R Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Wherever I May Roam
Quote:
Don't shake hands in pregame warm-ups, you might be charged with a foul!!!!

I like that!

#1334 - 03/30/04 12:25 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: JayhawkZX12R]
JayhawkBob Offline
John Brown

Ya know, it's funny when I posted this stat about fouls - I didn't think it would be so controversial - facts are facts

#1335 - 03/30/04 01:41 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: JayhawkBob]
BankerJHawk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Tulsa, OK
Only because you said the magic word........DOOK. If the fact concerned, let's say... Pacific, no one would have said Boo.

#1336 - 03/30/04 04:35 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: JayhawkBob]
Richardhead Offline
Phog Fanatic

Facts are facts, yes.

But do you understand that validity has to do with the inferences certain facts permit? The facts that you posted are not controversial. Your silly conclusion is what's at issue, or at least that's what I was interested in.

#1337 - 03/30/04 05:35 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: Richardhead]
JayhawkBob Offline
John Brown

I didn't reach a conclusion - I think that the refs have no motivation to treat Duke different but I think they do sometimes - the numbers kinda speak for themselves.

#1338 - 03/30/04 06:10 PM Re: Wah wah wah, I hate Duke, wah wah wah [Re: elan71]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
I look forward to the day that Coach K retires. He is just consistantly too damn good.

#1339 - 03/30/04 06:41 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: Richardhead]
dughawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Richardhead,
You are a little too strident here, I think. Your suggested conclusion (lots of fouls on Duke because they win a lot) is also conjecture. If you presented data showing that they win a lot of CLOSE games at home, and that they shoot many more non-shooting foul free throws (i.e., one and one) than other teams (meaning that they are fouled when the object of the foul is to induce a change in possession of the ball) in which case lots of fouls might be a tactic the opposing and losing team would use, then your idea might be a good one. As it stands, your lack of corroborating data makes your conclusion no more sound than the other one offered, but you present yours with a great deal more grating and gnashing.

#1340 - 03/30/04 08:23 PM Re: Bring your own Refs if you play Duke at home [Re: dughawk]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
dick head enjoys talking down to us a little too much. I picture him with a thesaurus on his lap as he types away.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview