Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1278237 - 10/12/10 12:58 PM Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anybody remember this game?

KU and K-State were winless that year in the Old Big 8. The national sports press noticed both teams and said, These are possibly the two worst college teams in the country and this Saturday one of these two inept teams is finally going to get a win.

This was before ties were outlawed. Although my memory is not great, I recall both teams being full of recruits from the state of Kansas, as usual for that time. The game was full of player mistakes. The result was a tie.

The locker room interviews after the game were sad. Both teams said they lost. The national sports press laughed and called both K-State and KU losers. I believe it was the KC Star which had coined the term "Toilet Bowl." The Toilet Bowl was named days leading up to the game. For several years after that 1987 game, people still called the subsequent KU-K St games "the Toilet Bowl."

The Toilet Bowl was cleaned and sanitized with the appearance of Bill Snyder, recruits from Coach Mason's states (Dana Stubblefield, L T Levine, June Henley), and the creation of the Big XII. An influx of Texas high school players into KU and K State's programs brought the state of Kansas back to respectibilty.

#1278238 - 10/12/10 01:07 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

After riots in 1984 and 1986 in Aggieville after the KSU-KU games, the entire Aggieville disctrict was cordoned off and the boundaries manned by police from all over the state for the 1987 game.

Can you imagine the carnage that would have ensued after the Toilet Bowl tie had they not taken that precaution?

#1278239 - 10/12/10 01:15 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Caddy,

The term "Toilet Bowl" to describe a game between two worthless teams was coined long before 1987. I remember it being used back in the '60's, and I'm confident that wasn't the first time someone used the term. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a Sports Illustrated article talk about Northwestern playing a Toilet Bowl game back in the '70's too.

I remember the `87 game. I was there.

It was a pathetic display. Bob Valesente was booed by KU fans on the road in Mancrappy. Statie fans booed their own team at home too. Even they got bored with that and just went to sleep by the 4th qtr.

As I recall, I bought tickets for the game for $1/each. Later, I found out I could have gotten better seats for free. The popcorn I purchased at the stadium gave me the runs for the next 3 days. I've never purchased another food item in the entire podunk town of Mancrappy since. (I kinda think that nicname originates from their salmonella laced food at the stadium.)

#1278240 - 10/12/10 01:16 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
19-19
I was there as well.

RCJHKU!

#1278241 - 10/12/10 01:17 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Here's a picture of Aggieville after the 1986 riots:

#1278242 - 10/12/10 01:18 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: KUHawkhead]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

19-19
I was there as well.

RCJHKU!

Uh... no.

It was 17-17

We made jokes that both teams played like they wanted to be on the cover of "Seventeen" magazine.

#1278243 - 10/12/10 01:19 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Damnit! You are right! I was just sitting here thinking...how the Phuck do you get 19 pts???

Thanks for the clarification!

RCJHKU!

#1278244 - 10/12/10 02:02 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Anyone who found that game "fun" is nucking futz! If you liked that you would have found the 66 game a total (3-3) riot.

Many Sunflower Classics should have ended in a tie.....they didn't because someone was always missing a PAT or going for 2 and not making it. I have a hunch we'll see as much Thursday night.

#1278245 - 10/12/10 02:16 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: beenahawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Fun? You call that game fun? Interesting...maybe...but fun?

There is a difference. The World War 1 flu was interesting, but not fun...the Black Death was interesting, but not fun...

Trivia...who blocked the last second KSU field goal attempt to insure the tie? Hint: As bad as this team was, he would later earn a National Championship ring.

#1278246 - 10/12/10 02:36 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Morgansraider]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, you've got a memory like a steel trap, Morgansraider. I had to find dead brain cells to figure this out. Was it Clint Normore?

Imagine a football player on the KU team this year playing in a National Championship basketball game.

#1278247 - 10/12/10 02:48 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl
kumath Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Lawrence, KS
Quote:

Wow, you've got a memory like a steel trap, Morgansraider. I had to find dead brain cells to figure this out. Was it Clint Normore?

Imagine a football player on the KU team this year playing in a National Championship basketball game.

It was NOT clint normore. I can't think of the other guy's name right off the top of my head. Was it Marvin Mattox?

Edited by kumath (10/12/10 02:52 PM)

#1278248 - 10/12/10 03:10 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: kumath]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Kumath is correct.

But Normore was the better basketball player. Mattox was just on the team to be a practice body.

#1278249 - 10/12/10 03:24 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Morgansraider]
Harambe Offline
Baby Jay

Mike Maddox with two d's was a basketball player only.

Marvin Mattox with two t's was the football player who blocked the kick and later joined the bball team. Also, I believe he's the only one who didn't see the floor in the final game vs. Oklahoma.

#1278250 - 10/12/10 03:43 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Harambe]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

I wonder what ever happened to the other Marvin that he replaced?

What "Branch" of society did he end up in?

#1278251 - 10/12/10 03:47 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: 5DecadeHawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Maybe he's in the Sean Tunstall chapter of the KUAA.

#1278252 - 10/12/10 03:51 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Morgansraider]
Harambe Offline
Baby Jay

Forgot to mention the blocked FG is in the tail end of the Mattox link above.

#1278253 - 10/12/10 09:48 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Harambe]
NoMore Offline
Knows more

Loc: dancing on Lew's desk
Not a particular meaningful game, I was at the 1973 edition and was later informed that my ticket was one of the several which accounted for the record crowd at Memorial Stadium that day.

KSU and MU games vs. KU will never necessarily be of interest outside the states of KS-MO, only occasionally of interest towards the Big XIIX North wiener. Just so long as KU wins it more or less makes a season for the old timers.

KU FB is tough, and then you lose to MU/KSU. That is the definition of futurity.

#1278254 - 10/12/10 09:56 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: NoMore]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

KU FB is tough, and then you lose to MU/KSU. That is the definition of futurity.

The definition of futurity is JLion posting nonsense, especially if it bashes KU.

#1278255 - 10/12/10 11:09 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: NoMore]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Quote:

Not a particular meaningful game, I was at the 1973 edition and was later informed that my ticket was one of the several which accounted for the record crowd at Memorial Stadium that day.

Did you get a "The Hawks Are For Real" bumper sticker that day? That 73 squad was LOADED with talent...a virtual boatload of future Sunday players...Mitch Sutton, Don Goode, Del Williams, Billy Campfield, Emmett Edwards, Steve Towel, Mike Butler, Robert Miller, Terry Beason and of course Nolan Cromwell. It was also the single most injury riddled season I can recall...more blown knees than a hockey game at a retirement home.
Game wise, the 73 Misery Game was just a "tad" more exciting.

Speaking of 73, is Branstetter starting to remind you of Bob Swift?

#1278256 - 10/13/10 05:16 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: beenahawk]
NoMore Offline
Knows more

Loc: dancing on Lew's desk
No on the bumper sticker.

I was waiting for KU FB to get back to where it would be under Mangino.

#1278257 - 10/13/10 08:42 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: NoMore]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
A lot of people are getting old waiting for KU football to be much more than home town favorites.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#1278258 - 10/13/10 08:55 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: appyhawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Quote:

t was also the single most injury riddled season I can recall...more blown knees than a hockey game at a retirement home.

I was just peeking out of a vag at the time, but I've seen pics of that field. I'm amazed there weren't even more blown out knees. That stuff looked rock hard.

#1278259 - 10/13/10 09:49 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Morgansraider]
Harambe Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

I was just peeking out of a vag at the time, but I've seen pics of that field. I'm amazed there weren't even more blown out knees. That stuff looked rock hard.

I marched on that field (KSU) two years prior to the toilet bowl game. Not only was it hard, it was SLICK in our band shoes (smooth soles - yikes!). It was rock hard and the nap on the turf was maybe a quarter of an inch, or so it seemed. Like coating a parking lot with green spray snow. However, that was not unusual for the time. KU's field was also rock hard, but not quite as short or slick. Even in band shoes the traction was a bit better. Both would have sucked to play ball on, IMO.

#1278260 - 10/13/10 10:08 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Harambe]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Back then, in Manhattan, us kids got to go down on the field and play after the game, with the lines and hash marks and end zones and the giant stucco Wildcat on the 50 yard line, and everything-- that was extremely cool.

I can tell you, that KSU turf (at least in 1974, the first year I ever attended a game) WAS like a concrete floor.. which it was, actually. You could also cut yourself on the painted areas of "grass".

Things were lax back then... they'd let you into the game for free after the third quarter, or earlier depending on which gate you went to. I also recall opening an unlocked/unguarded door and climbing up into the press box area and watching the action from there.

There WERE advantages to growing up around one of the worst football programs ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview