Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1278252 - 10/12/10 03:51 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Morgansraider]
Harambe Offline
Baby Jay

Forgot to mention the blocked FG is in the tail end of the Mattox link above.

#1278253 - 10/12/10 09:48 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Harambe]
NoMore Offline
Knows more

Loc: dancing on Lew's desk
Not a particular meaningful game, I was at the 1973 edition and was later informed that my ticket was one of the several which accounted for the record crowd at Memorial Stadium that day.

KSU and MU games vs. KU will never necessarily be of interest outside the states of KS-MO, only occasionally of interest towards the Big XIIX North wiener. Just so long as KU wins it more or less makes a season for the old timers.

KU FB is tough, and then you lose to MU/KSU. That is the definition of futurity.

#1278254 - 10/12/10 09:56 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: NoMore]
5DecadeHawk Offline
Otto Schnellbacher

Quote:

KU FB is tough, and then you lose to MU/KSU. That is the definition of futurity.

The definition of futurity is JLion posting nonsense, especially if it bashes KU.

#1278255 - 10/12/10 11:09 PM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: NoMore]
beenahawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Quote:

Not a particular meaningful game, I was at the 1973 edition and was later informed that my ticket was one of the several which accounted for the record crowd at Memorial Stadium that day.

Did you get a "The Hawks Are For Real" bumper sticker that day? That 73 squad was LOADED with talent...a virtual boatload of future Sunday players...Mitch Sutton, Don Goode, Del Williams, Billy Campfield, Emmett Edwards, Steve Towel, Mike Butler, Robert Miller, Terry Beason and of course Nolan Cromwell. It was also the single most injury riddled season I can recall...more blown knees than a hockey game at a retirement home.
Game wise, the 73 Misery Game was just a "tad" more exciting.

Speaking of 73, is Branstetter starting to remind you of Bob Swift?

#1278256 - 10/13/10 05:16 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: beenahawk]
NoMore Offline
Knows more

Loc: dancing on Lew's desk
No on the bumper sticker.

I was waiting for KU FB to get back to where it would be under Mangino.

#1278257 - 10/13/10 08:42 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: NoMore]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
A lot of people are getting old waiting for KU football to be much more than home town favorites.

www.cappersoverlay.com

#1278258 - 10/13/10 08:55 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: appyhawk]
Morgansraider Offline
Why...So...Serious????

Quote:

t was also the single most injury riddled season I can recall...more blown knees than a hockey game at a retirement home.

I was just peeking out of a vag at the time, but I've seen pics of that field. I'm amazed there weren't even more blown out knees. That stuff looked rock hard.

#1278259 - 10/13/10 09:49 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Morgansraider]
Harambe Offline
Baby Jay

Quote:

I was just peeking out of a vag at the time, but I've seen pics of that field. I'm amazed there weren't even more blown out knees. That stuff looked rock hard.

I marched on that field (KSU) two years prior to the toilet bowl game. Not only was it hard, it was SLICK in our band shoes (smooth soles - yikes!). It was rock hard and the nap on the turf was maybe a quarter of an inch, or so it seemed. Like coating a parking lot with green spray snow. However, that was not unusual for the time. KU's field was also rock hard, but not quite as short or slick. Even in band shoes the traction was a bit better. Both would have sucked to play ball on, IMO.

#1278260 - 10/13/10 10:08 AM Re: Fun History - The 1987 Toilet Bowl [Re: Harambe]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

Back then, in Manhattan, us kids got to go down on the field and play after the game, with the lines and hash marks and end zones and the giant stucco Wildcat on the 50 yard line, and everything-- that was extremely cool.

I can tell you, that KSU turf (at least in 1974, the first year I ever attended a game) WAS like a concrete floor.. which it was, actually. You could also cut yourself on the painted areas of "grass".

Things were lax back then... they'd let you into the game for free after the third quarter, or earlier depending on which gate you went to. I also recall opening an unlocked/unguarded door and climbing up into the press box area and watching the action from there.

There WERE advantages to growing up around one of the worst football programs ever.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Preview