Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127407 - 04/12/07 08:40 PM 42
chiknbut Offline
Bowl Cut Boy

Loc: JRP lunchroom

On Sunday, as I'm sure most of you know, one player from each major league team will wear the retired No. 42 in honor of the 60th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in baseball.

All of the LA Dodgers will wear the No. 42.

I think this is a tremendous event and a clear sign that baseball - and Bud Selig - cares about the fans. Yes it's a marketing ploy, but it's a good one. Hopefully it will get people to care about the sport, at least for a day, and think about how brave Robinson's effort was.

#127408 - 04/12/07 08:44 PM Re: 42 [Re: chiknbut]
EastCoastJHawk Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: On the sofa
I'm usually very jaded..... but not this time.
I don't think it's much of a marketing ploy (unless they come out with commerative jerseys for EVERY team with 42 on it). Just a sign of tremendous respect for a great ballplayer and courageous man

#127409 - 04/12/07 09:56 PM Re: 42 [Re: EastCoastJHawk]
jdavis34 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Lawrence, KS
It's good to hear Torii Hunter talk about it...

It may be a marketing ploy to get blacks interested in the game again, which would be awesome.

#127410 - 04/14/07 03:59 PM Re: 42 [Re: jdavis34]
jayhwk01 Offline
Timmy's Nemesis

Loc: Mt. Oread's Shadow
In the interest of fairness and equality I propose the following Sunday there be a Ty Cobb day with the game announced by Don Imus and the opening statements made by Trent Lott. Sorry could not help myself....actually I think the J. Robinson day is a great idea and as a guy who grew up listening to the wonderful memories and contributions of one Buck O'Neil I wish MLB would do a Buck O'Neil day since he passed earlier this year. Just a thought.

Preview