Page 46 of 47 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1944262 - 08/12/13 04:11 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? * [Re: Shirley]
1985hawk Offline
Moderator-Retired

Loc: Back here

#1944320 - 08/12/13 07:20 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: 1985hawk]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Call me pietistical, but calling aphid excrement "God's tears" seems kinda sacrilegious, (not to mention whack), to me.

#1944954 - 08/14/13 12:04 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
CrimsonNBlue Offline
Tee Y

Loc: KC, MO
Maybe some actual evidence?

Quote:
Religious people are likely to be less intelligent than their atheist counterparts, a study claims. The analysis, which looked at almost a century of data, found a negative correlation between high IQs and religiosity.

Professors Miron Zuckerman and Jordan Silberman, from the University of Rochester, looked at 63 studies in the field carried out between 1938 and 2012. In their paper, entitled “The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations,” Zuckerman and Silberman drew the conclusion that the majority of studies found that more intelligent people were less likely to subscribe to organized religion.

Out of the 63 surveys, 53 showed a negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity, while only 10 displayed a positive one.

http://rt.com/news/atheists-more-intelligent-religious-433/

#1944975 - 08/14/13 12:53 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: CrimsonNBlue]
Astronaut Offline
Deep Thinker

Loc: Wherever Deep Thinkers gather
Originally Posted By: CrimsonNBlue

Quote:
Religious people are likely to be less intelligent than their atheist counterparts, a study claims. The analysis, which looked at almost a century of data, found a negative correlation between high IQs and religiosity.

Professors Miron Zuckerman and Jordan Silberman, from the University of Rochester, looked at 63 studies in the field carried out between 1938 and 2012. In their paper, entitled “The Relation Between Intelligence and Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis and Some Proposed Explanations,” Zuckerman and Silberman drew the conclusion that the majority of studies found that more intelligent people were less likely to subscribe to organized religion.

Out of the 63 surveys, 53 showed a negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity, while only 10 displayed a positive one.

Too bad it isn't evidence of Shirley's hypothesis. But then, neither are any of the other posts.

OTOH, the posts are evidence of the conviction of the simple that adopting atheism enhances one's intellectual bona fides.

#1945004 - 08/14/13 02:28 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
imzcount Online   embarrased
Max Falkenstien

Loc: az
Who wouldn't pray if they had cancer?

#1945135 - 08/14/13 05:43 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Astronaut]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Originally Posted By: Astronaut
Originally Posted By: CrimsonNBlue

Quote:

Too bad it isn't evidence of Shirley's hypothesis. But then, neither are any of the other posts.

OTOH, the posts are evidence of the conviction of the simple that adopting atheism enhances one's intellectual bona fides.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."

#1945137 - 08/14/13 05:54 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: imzcount]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Originally Posted By: imzcount

#1945150 - 08/14/13 06:05 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
kellyfenton Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I burned the candle at both ends and it gave a lovely light.

RIP Christopher

#1945155 - 08/14/13 06:11 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
imzcount Online   embarrased
Max Falkenstien

Loc: az
Originally Posted By: Shirley
Originally Posted By: imzcount

Your hero?

#1945158 - 08/14/13 06:13 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
kellyfenton Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Wouldn't call him my hero, just someone who I admired and whose writing I greatly appreciated. I think I always found his atheism to be a bit strident.

#1945174 - 08/14/13 07:32 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Astronaut]
Naismith Offline
The Founder

Loc: Memorial Park Cemetery, KS.
The best philosophical arguments are the ones that can be supported with cartoons and Sam Kinnison videos.

Astro: Since I've seen you make this comment more than once, I finally can't help but ask you... Do you not agree that the best way to deal with things that are ridiculous is with ridicule??

Shirley: Love that cartoon...

#1945183 - 08/14/13 07:58 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: kellyfenton]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Originally Posted By: kellyfenton
Wouldn't call him my hero, just someone who I admired and whose writing I greatly appreciated. I think I always found his atheism to be a bit strident.

^^^

There's nothing worse than a pious proselytizer.

#1945211 - 08/14/13 09:05 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Naismith]
Astronaut Offline
Deep Thinker

Originally Posted By: Naismith
The best philosophical arguments are the ones that can be supported with cartoons and Sam Kinnison videos.

Astro: Since I've seen you make this comment more than once, I finally can't help but ask you... Do you not agree that the best way to deal with things that are ridiculous is with ridicule??

When it's all you've got, Naismith- and it is all you've got- go with it.

Maybe next time, you could refute Kierkegaard. Or Hegel. Or Kant.

Well, not you. The abstract you.

#1945224 - 08/14/13 09:25 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Astronaut]
Shirley Offline
Pelvic Missionary

Or Thomas Jefferson?

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

#1945225 - 08/14/13 09:28 PM Re: More Evidence That Religion Makes You Dumb? [Re: Shirley]
Astronaut Offline
Deep Thinker

Originally Posted By: Shirley

Or Thomas Jefferson?

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."
What's the topic of Jefferson's quote? Anyone? Shirley?

Give you a hint! Newton also thought it was malarkey.

Page 46 of 47 < 1 2 ... 44 45 46 47 >

Preview